Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor Webtext Wishlist - by popular (ish) demand

• 21-11-2007 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Right. Meteor webtexts. There's a bunch of stuff it does, and a bunch of stuff it don't. What d'you want from it?

I can't guarantee any of this'll get done (there's processes and suchlike) but I reckon it should do what users want (within reason) and I'll do what I can cos I want it to be great...

Go fer ya life!

F

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Adding my wishlist to the thread and thanks for the thread BTW:
    • Scheduled texts would be a good feature.
    • Send to multiple users without adding them all to your phonebook for once off texts to a few different people so you don't have to add them to your phone book.
    • Presentation of management system for phonebook and groups
      I'd prefer if it would be to have it floating in front of the message part and have a semi-transparent layer over that so you could see your message etc... in the background but had the edit your phonebook/groups stuff in front of it in the centre of the screen.

I've seen something like that on other sites and think it would work well there. For example,

click login on top right on http://imageshack.us/

There is no real need to be able to move it around the screen though, thats just over the top although I'm sure its probably easy enough to implement.

It also looks very good for Meteor to actually look for user feed back from here IMO as it shows they actually care about the users experience, something lacking in a lot of Irish services IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

thanks for the wishlist! :)

- international webtexts
    - scheduled texts
    - group texts to be sorted so you can send 30 group texts up to your limit of 300 per month. i.e. you could send 30 groups of 10 texts as opposed to the current setup
    - delivery reports sent to your phone after you send a webtext? don't know if this is possible?

thanks, alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

My number one would be to be able to send multi-part messages just like any phone can, it would stop me having to break my texts into parts. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

red_fox wrote: »
    My number one would be to be able to send multi-part messages just like any phone can, it would stop me having to break my texts into parts. Thanks!

This is actually a really good one considering people are more likely to use full words when they have a real keyboard in front of them (personally I always use full words because I hate text speak).

A simple character that alerts you that you've gone onto a new text would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

red_fox wrote: »

look at the link in my sig if you want to do that. it does the breaking up for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

flibz wrote: »
    Right. Meteor webtexts. There's a bunch of stuff it does, and a bunch of stuff it don't. What d'you want from it?

I can't guarantee any of this'll get done (there's processes and suchlike) but I reckon it should do what users want (within reason) and I'll do what I can cos I want it to be great...

Go fer ya life!

F

Scheduleding sending, (and the abiliity to delete from the schedule if you change ones miind)

Sync Address book with phone, if phone supports it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

international texts (like O2)
    scheduled texts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Multi-part texts! This one really pisses me off.
    And yeah, cheers for the thread.

Edit: It just occured to me. You really need to have a log in limiter. With a four digit pin as standard and no limit to the log in attempts someones account can be brute forced in a matter of minutes.

Sputnik wrote: »
    again, look in my sig for a way around that problem. the program splits the text into 160 character chunks for you before sending
    Edit: It just occured to me. You really need to have a log in limiter. With a four code pin as standard and no limit to the log in attempts someones account can be brute forced in a matter of minutes.
    takes about two hours actually

a bloke who made a program two years ago to crack meteor passwords emailed them and said "i'm cracking passwords. stop me". they never responded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

a bloke who made a program two years ago to crack meteor passwords emailed them and said "i'm cracking passwords. stop me". they never responded

Do you have any idea how many strange emails arrive to the likes of Meteor every day? Not to mention spam etc? Its well possible that his mail was SPAM blocked, or if it did make it through, ignored.

I reckon you'd soon see the cost of Meteor services jumping up if they had the staff to pay due diligence to every strange communication they received, no?

EDIT: Any idea how he mailed them? As in what address? This time two years ago, I was in my last week working for Meteor... though I wasn't involved in the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

again, look in my sig for a way around that problem. the program splits the text into 160 character chunks for you before sending

Nice. Still want to have it on the website though, downloading a program isn't always an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hmmm a partridge in a pear tree and maybe multi part texts from meteor site would be nice as i dont cheat by using those aft things haha and definitely international texts and thanks for askin Happy Christmas

Nice. Still want to have it on the website though, downloading a program isn't always an option.

this is true but i don't see multi part messages being available from the site any time soon. You don't need admin rights to use the program by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Edit: It just occured to me. You really need to have a log in limiter. With a four digit pin as standard and no limit to the log in attempts someones account can be brute forced in a matter of minutes.
    You can have your PIN much longer than 4 characters - just change it!

ciaranfo wrote: »
    You can have your PIN much longer than 4 characters - just change it!

you can but 99% of people don't which is the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This is true CV and the fact that they reset it with every SIM change to the new one that comes with the new SIM!

I just ment in his case he'd be able to avoid this :)

Advertisement