Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are upload speeds so low?

Options
  • 21-11-2007 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I get a miserable 384k of upload for 3mbit down - and there are people here on worse plans. it feels like a big conspiracy by big media and the ISP's to make the internet more of a one-way broadcast media and discourage file sharing by only giving people enough upstream bandwidth to send their credit card details. although I know that isn't actually true because in countries like slovakia, korea and even the states its easy enough to get a symmetric connection.

ADSL supports 1mbit up but they don't ever use it. not even for the poor bastards who are paying 160 eur for their 6mbit connection. there are only a few people in dublin that can get a symmetric line, and a few more people who can get symmetric wireless connection that doesn't run at the quoted speed anyway.

apparently the sityeation is worse in australia for some reason.. don't know why

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eircom's ADSL currently gives 3M down and 384k up for the top product. If they increase the upload they'd have to reduce the download. The vast majority of people don't know or care about upload so it makes business sense to give the best possible download with just enough upload.

If a faster upload was available then people could be tempted to run web servers on their home connection, which would put undue strain on the ISPs network.

No conspiracy, just good business practice.

It does suck though, 384k is a pain the ass for uploading to my website, takes fecking ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A symmetric connection would be about 2Mbps each way, if your line is good enough. You can't get it on ordinary eircom or resold eircom. Esat in pre-BT days used to offer it on LLU exchanges, but the sales people didn't know about it.

For a Webserver (only) a reverse aDSL is possible in some countries. A Webserver is mostly download and very little upload.

On Wireless systems it is often the case that the asymmetric nature can't be changed. The fact that 99% of people use far far more downstream than upstream makes it easier to design a Wireless System.

Of course P2P (Kontiki: BBC, Sky. Joost, Skype, IM, web cams, bittorrant etc) breaks that assumption badly. As well as breaking assumptions back haul and contention is based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Eircom can easily do 512 up and higher on adsl1.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Praetorian wrote: »
    Eircom can easily do 512 up and higher on adsl1.
    there's a whole heap of things eircom could 'easily' do to make life easier for internet users in ireland, but their bottom line gets in the way of pretty much all of them so we're totally *stuck.

*stuck wasn't my first choice of words, but it was the only one i could think of that didn't get bleeped out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I havent really had many problems with my 3mb irishbroadband connection which is symmetrical (except for torrents) which is now sorted on my end ;)204916348.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

How much are you paying for that Pimp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

50p/m I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I havent really had many problems with my 3mb irishbroadband connection which is symmetrical (except for torrents) which is now sorted on my end ;)204916348.png

holy fock:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement