Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD festival

Options
  • 21-11-2007 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

is anyone going to any of the gigs?

is it selling? i don't know anyone going to any of them :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm going on Friday. Still tempted for Monday, but may be crucified if the line "I'm going to a gig tonight" comes up in my house. It is a bit pricey, dont think its selling well at all. Sure with it so close to exams, and this late in the semester, I'm not overly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Mushy wrote: »
    I'm going on Friday. Still tempted for Monday, but may be crucified if the line "I'm going to a gig tonight" comes up in my house. It is a bit pricey, dont think its selling well at all. Sure with it so close to exams, and this late in the semester, I'm not overly surprised.
    yeah that's what i was thinking, even if it was on two weeks ago i'd guess more people would be up for it and if you're going to individual gigs (aside from Dr. Lektroluv) it's too pricey.... €25 for Calvin Harris :eek:

if there are still tickets available i might go along to FLC on Monday for nostalgia purposes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

I would've loved to go to both Calvin Harris and FLC but peak 21sts season + end of term messy drinking day coming up + 2 weeks before exams + loads of assignments due in this/next week....very sucky timing, shame they werent on a month ago or in Febuary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's not selling at all. I was working in the shop the night they were out and Quinvilan was around for practically the whole 5 hours wondering why there were tickets left. I've sold 1 in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It's not selling at all. I was working in the shop the night they were out and Quinvilan was around for practically the whole 5 hours wondering why there were tickets left. I've sold 1 in 2 weeks

Because they're far too expensive?

I mean Quinlavins doing a good job this year (better than the joke that was last year) but it's just too expensive on an individual basis and too close to exams.

That said I wouldn't mind seeing Jape.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'm in UCD and I haven't a clue what you're talkin' about??!! Yeah I reckon there probably have been posters put up and all but there's so much being advertised around campus now that I never stop to read them anymore! But yup that above suggestion seems the most likely reason. Too close to exams. Particularily if you're in second year English! Everything came at once so no fun for us for a while! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Particularily if you're in second year English!

Oh god... even when I TRY start an essay early I fail miserably, stupid Shakespeare!

(But it's been plastered left, right and centre and Quinlavin's been into some English lectures before they've started and its in the Observer too so eh.. look around a bit more? lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Who even is Dr Lektroluv? surely Jape are worthy of headlining a night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Alkers

Who even is Dr Lektroluv? surely Jape are worthy of headlining a night
    He's a pretty big Electro Dj. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG_uqHh5tp8&feature=related
    Plays a lot of the festivals around Europe (I love Techno etc...) TCD Ents and UCD Ents got him for a joint gig in the TBMC last year, was a great night. I'd say he would have sold out the student bar if he wasn't playing tomorrow night in town for €15! Quinlivan keeping up the tradition of quality electro acts at a budget price!
    Can't understand how Calvin and Harris is €25 when Felix Da Housecat was only €15, Justice were around €15 last year too, surely there both bigger names than Calvin and Harris? I would have gone to see them if they were around the €10-15 mark but I'm not paying €25 for them and I've no interest in the FLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Can't understand how Calvin and Harris is €25 when Felix Da Housecat was only €15, Justice were around €15 last year too, surely there both bigger names than Calvin and Harris? I would have gone to see them if they were around the €10-15 mark but I'm not paying €25 for them and I've no interest in the FLC.

uhh its Calvin Harris i.e one person not Calvin and Harris :)
    I think the acts for the festival are pretty wicked.I used to love the FLC but alas I feel far too old to be going to gigs in the student bar now so wont be heading along.

If anyone does go to the student bar will they please ask Calvin If he'll marry me plese?? Its nice to have a bit of totty in UCD for once even if it is for one night only :)
    image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Hes seeing a first year commerce girl at the moment actually(no, really!). I imagine a big reason the gigs are on now is fitting them into the gigging schedule of the acts, Quinlivan was probably aware having them so close to exams would be a problem...oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I'm going with a few mates to Calvin tomorro! Can't wait, they were amazing at that summer festival in july that i can't mention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Dr. Lektroluv is great. I saw him at I Love Techno two weeks ago and I'd love to see him again but....I have four essays to finish by next Wednesday. I think the idea of a festival is good, but the timing is pretty crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

they messed up big time with this one the reason they havin the festival was cause they couldn get a string line up for the ucd ball so typical irish logic they drag a weak line up out over few days and up the price of tickets like ya can see calvin harris in town for that price nearly hopefully this will be a learnin curve for improvin next year

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The line up is OK - it's certainly better than the rubbish we've been subjected to over the past few years. But timing wise it was silly, and college events are supposed to be cheaper than going into a gig in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Calvin Harris is expensive because he's flavour of the month and gets in the more casual fans who are more willing to pay. He's also awful! Felix Da Housecat on the other hand is brilliant, saw him live while workin at a festival and bored out of my mind (bloody wanted to kill myself when Tim deluxe was on. God he was bad) till Felix came on and blew me away, barely even heard of him before that so it was quite a pleasant surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Ah, the timing is the crushing thing here. A week or two earlier and it would have been great.

I reckon he's doing a good job this year overall, few venues - never mind colleges - would have the pull to get the likes of Felix Da Housecat. At least, compared to Holy last year, there's some mid-level gig on every Thursday - there's free gigs every week - and there's the odd big gig and the attempt to do something innovative.

The naysayers who are complaining about the prevalence of "bad techno nights" would do well to realise that there has only been 2 (or maybe 3 if you want to include the blackstrobe gig) techno/electro nights this semester. This is compared to (just off the top of my head) TFLG, Aslan, Paddy Casey, The Antarctic Monkeys, The Stone Roses experience, Republic of Loose, The Coronas, The Blizzards, Battle of the Bands...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

any1 hear whether the big calvin harris gig was any good/sold out etc etc?? wud've loved to have gone but had to go home

MuddyDog wrote: »
    any1 hear whether the big calvin harris gig was any good/sold out etc etc?? wud've loved to have gone but had to go home

Yeah, was good gig. WAYYYYYY to short though. The crushing was mental, kept falling over. Not that I fully mind, but it was unreal how much time I spent on that floor. I'm still in pain from it all. Too short for €25, but still a great laugh. Oh, the bar also closed at half 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Yeah the bar was sposed to be open til 2.. it was good fun but half way through I got sick of being trampled on and left the crowd t stand at the back. Someone stood on my mate's face like!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

sounds quality. did he play an acoustic version of girls?

ashyle wrote: »
    Yeah the bar was sposed to be open til 2.. it was good fun but half way through I got sick of being trampled on and left the crowd t stand at the back. Someone stood on my mate's face like!!

People stood on my face, arms, ribs and many other body parts. It was a nice crowd though, not violent, although I do think some people were fighting at the start, nearer the sound boards though.
    MuddyDog wrote: »
    sounds quality. did he play an acoustic version of girls?

Sounded like the usual version to me, couldnt notice any difference with any of his songs live and from cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Went to see Dr Lektroluv on thursday and also in Spy on friday. Wasn't a fan before hand (simply out of ignorance, didn't know much about him), but after interviewing him before the gig and seeing him perform I would definately consider myself a fan now.

It seemed that most tickets had sold for the gig but turned out at the end of the day was disappointing. Just about everyone who did go on Thursday seemed to have only good things to say, however. The gig on Friday in town was infact oversold and packed to the door, so it certainly wasn't the act that was the problem.

I guess with exams etc coming up the timing isn't great, but they are some very good acts and although a lot of the acts this year reflect Steve's personal tastes (house/electro), the quality of those acts is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

mloc wrote: »
    although a lot of the acts this year reflect Steve's personal tastes (house/electro)

I'v heard this one too many times now... The majority of Ents gigs are pretty standard blandrock fare.. There's been max 3/4 of these electro gigs.. out of at least 20-25 acts...hardly excessive or biased... putting on electro acts is a great idea, simple as..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

it's also a lot cheaper, paying one or 2 dj's/electronic performers is cheaper than paying 4 or 5 band members, that's why you will NEVER see the Polyphonic Spree perform in the student bar.:p

karmabass wrote: »
    I'v heard this one too many times now... The majority of Ents gigs are pretty standard blandrock fare.. There's been max 3/4 of these electro gigs.. out of at least 20-25 acts...hardly excessive or biased... putting on electro acts is a great idea, simple as..

The majority, maybe are blandrock. But the larger (e.g. more expensive) acts are generally electro. I'm not saying its bad. I like electro. But it is a point.

mloc wrote: »
    The majority, maybe are blandrock. But the larger (e.g. more expensive) acts are generally electro. I'm not saying its bad. I like electro. But it is a point.
    The most expensive Electro Act we've had was Felix @ €15?

I'm not talking about expenses to the individual, im talking about hiring expense, stage fees etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its a bad thing and it's totally understandable. I'm merely saying we've had a good bit more electro stuff this year, which is most likely due to Steve's tastes. If anything, its refreshing to see such big names in the genre playing in ucd.

It's was half decent last year too, Justice, Erol Alkan, Lektroluv (TBMC joint event with TCD Ents), Jacques Lu Cont played the year before too.
    I think it's because people are enjoying these events so much and keep going on about them that the non-electroheads get the impression that the SU bar is over-run with dance nights when in fact it's only a couple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The problem is that when you look at the electro names like Justice, Lu Cont and Felix, the non techno acts don't stand up. Like how many times can somebody see the Blizzards?

Advertisement