Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD festival

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Bubs101 wrote: »
    The problem is that when you look at the electro names like Justice, Lu Cont and Felix, the non techno acts don't stand up. Like how many times can somebody see the Blizzards?

Ah you took the words right out of my mouth. The calibre of the dance/electro acts is phenomenal theres no doubt about that. You cant compare them to the likes of the home grown crap that has been inflicted on us in the student bar ,the coronas,the blizzards,aslan....
    Kate Nash,Rufus Wainright,**** disco,Regina Spektor loadsa really good artists have played Ireland recently and wouldnt have anything like the international acclaim that Justice or that erol dude have. But people still want to see them.For the last two years ents has catered to only one musical taste,I hope this changes in the new year

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The electro calibre we're getting is just better than the bland-rock (Aslan anyone?). Electro was neglected for a good few years with the 'beers and guitars' mentality so it's great to see it making a comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

here is the proble:

nowadays, any rock acts who are at the same professional level as techno/dance acts who have played for ucd-ents (Justice, Felix, Lu Cont, Lektroluv) is sh1t. thats because they are probably emulation bollox acts such as bloc party, babyshambles, the kooks, editors, Maxïmo Park, Fratellis, The Faint, The Rapture etc etc....

ents are only catering to people who like electronic based music because they have no choice, the guitar based bands who are within their budget are just too crap. plus students like taking loadsa drugs and this fits in nicely wit da techno:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

panda100 wrote: »
    Kate Nash,Rufus Wainright,**** disco,Regina Spektor loadsa really good artists have played Ireland recently and wouldnt have anything like the international acclaim that Justice or that erol dude have. But people still want to see them.For the last two years ents has catered to only one musical taste,I hope this changes in the new year

This is the problem with uninformed polemic.

To get ONE of these acts in (aside from the fact that some of them aren't under the company Ents do their dealing with) would blow the Ents budget for the entire year.

To say that Ents is only catering for one musical taste indicates your complete lack of knowledge in the area. Everyone from the Camembert Quartet upwards have been in. How many times have Director, Coronas, Blizzards, Republic of Loose played? Steve-o's band from Jackass was in last month, as was Calvin Harris (supported by Noise Control), Fun Loving criminals, open Mic night, comedians (including Dirty Sanchez), battle of the bands...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

jimi_t wrote: »
    To say that Ents is only catering for one musical taste indicates your complete lack of knowledge in the area. Everyone from the Camembert Quartet upwards have been in. How many times have Director, Coronas, Blizzards, Republic of Loose played? Steve-o's band from Jackass was in last month, as was Calvin Harris (supported by Noise Control), Fun Loving criminals, open Mic night, comedians (including Dirty Sanchez), battle of the bands...

Thats the problem. 4 terrible Irish bands constantly cater for people who like a certain type of music while Justice and Felix cater for those who like Techno. Hardly a fair deal although in fairness to Quinvilan the Fun Lovin Criminals were savage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

To get ONE of these acts in (aside from the fact that some of them aren't under the company Ents do their dealing with) would blow the Ents budget for the entire year.

To say that Ents is only catering for one musical taste indicates your complete lack of knowledge in the area. Everyone from the Camembert Quartet upwards have been in. How many times have Director, Coronas, Blizzards, Republic of Loose played?

Read my previous post.I agree with you the blizzards,coronas etc are constantly playing UCD......and they are quite frankly sh*te compared to the calibre of the dance acts. And in all fairness it can only go upwards from the Camembert quartet.That reaLly is scrapping the bottom of the Irish musIc scene.
    AS suggestion perhaps that instead of paying for the Coronas,republic of loose etc to play for the twelth time in one year. They use that money to get a proper decnt indie/pop/rock act to play to rival the techno acts

panda100 wrote: »
    Read my previous post.I agree with you the blizzards,coronas etc are constantly playing UCD......and they are quite frankly sh*te compared to the calibre of the dance acts. And in all fairness it can only go upwards from the Camembert quartet.That reaLly is scrapping the bottom of the Irish musIc scene.
    AS suggestion perhaps that instead of paying for the Coronas,republic of loose etc to play for the twelth time in one year. They use that money to get a proper decnt indie/pop/rock act to play to rival the techno acts

And even though you quoted my post, you missed the most salient point;

Ents has a limited budget. Big name Techno is cheap, remotely succesful rock is not. Even if Ents decided to blow their years budget on getting one of the bands you mentioned in, the band/singer probably wouldn't even play. I don't think you realise how hard it is to get established musicians to play in... a student bar :rolleyes: Techno/Electro artists and DJs are used to playing small, intimate venues (and generally they get better fees due to fewer people).

(Take the Trinity Ball - They had CSS, every other band (arguably asides from Ash, but they're kind of passe) was relatively unknown. Then look at their techno lineup.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Ents has a limited budget. Big name Techno is cheap, remotely succesful rock is not. Even if Ents decided to blow their years budget on getting one of the bands you mentioned in, the band/singer probably wouldn't even play. I don't think you realise how hard it is to get established musicians to play in... a student bar :rolleyes: Techno/Electro artists and DJs are used to playing small, intimate venues (and generally they get better fees due to fewer people).

Actually, if you look at alot of the acts who tour the U.K., alot of their gigs outside of London are based in Student venues. For example, I know for a fact that Bright Eyes played the Wolverhampton university last year. Maybe if we weren't limited to one promoter we would have more luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Also, QOTSA are playing the Leeds University. Even though that example is way too extreme, as I dont think it has anything to do with the SU there. Nine Black Alps playing one aswell in February. Sure Biffy Clyro play countless tiny venues that'd be smaller/similar size than the SU bar in UCD. Out of all the acts that have played those non-electro nights, its horribly boring. Do they have to be Irish acts playing? Many groups play SU/university venues.

Then you're getting into the business of flying a band over, transport from the airport, putting them up for the night, feeding them... Thats the wonderful thing about the UK, population-wise they can support much bigger acts than us - ever wonder why there's such a huge discrepency in ticket prices between the same act in the UK and in ROI?

As for the comment about being 'limited' to one promoter, there's basically a monopoly in Ireland between the two major companies - both of which are absolute cowboys in the way they operate. If we weren't attached to a promoter then we would get no gigs at all. Its the lesser of two evils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would you not just try grab them when they are over here doing dates anyway?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

for thosde as fun lovin criminals

2071960143_13c8fdee78.jpg

2072741444_1b7ea0ca64.jpg

2072735382_873f412ac5.jpg

2072763968_fc40beb55a.jpg

2072776394_9397eec9c8.jpg

the rest are here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melekalikimaka/sets/72157603323032556/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr Minraise

I think that jimi t has missed the point completly. Why should you techno heads get all the amazing acts and us rockers get shag all. Its just not fair.
    To say its down to funding is just wrong. All they have to do is charge more for the entry to bigger gigs like they did with the FLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Great discussion here, got me thinking what ''big'' acts would/could you see playing UCD?

I think that jimi t has missed the point completly. Why should you techno heads get all the amazing acts and us rockers get shag all.

Because techno is cheap, rock isn't. Don't like it? Go complain to the labels.
    To say its down to funding is just wrong. All they have to do is charge more for the entry to bigger gigs like they did with the FLC.

Your logic is "just wrong" - think about the capacity of the student bar versus ticket price.

Advertisement