Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emoze 1.5 now supports Gmail push

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

quintron wrote: »
    Nice. and your PC of course no longer needs to be on... its gmail not outlook. And the beauty of it is its free! Link http://www.emoze.com/en/get/emoze.to.push.my/index.asp

Was interested in getting this but I thought it needed a connected pc for it to work.

Do you have to install this on a broadband-enabled pc as well as your device for it to work.
    Or is it just a matter of putting it on the device and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

the latter. no pc required.
    in fact there is a way to push outlook without hving your machine on, Its called OWA access.
    Pulls it from the server rather than your desktop client, negating the need for a PC intermediary.
    Haven't tried that as I am unsure about syncability but it works on paper. Faster than going to Outlook and pushed to you.. so no, no pc required. Its now optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

How is this more desirable than the gMail app itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

the latter. no pc required.
    in fact there is a way to push outlook without hving your machine on, Its called OWA access.
    Pulls it from the server rather than your desktop client, negating the need for a PC intermediary.
    Haven't tried that as I am unsure about syncability but it works on paper. Faster than going to Outlook and pushed to you.. so no, no pc required. Its now optional.

Nice, thanks.
    Unfortunately still can't get outlook pop email or gmail java app working with PAYG vodafone, three or tescomobile so for me nice in theory atleast i suppose. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

culabula wrote: »
    How is this more desirable than the gMail app itself?
    It's push (like ans sms) rather than pull (i.e. fetch) like the gmail app.

• Advertisement

failsafe wrote: »
    It's push (like ans sms) rather than pull (i.e. fetch) like the gmail app.

Thank you -I understand now. But surely it still requires a data connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Gave emoze a quick test, it works by having a constant data connection to their server while running in the background on your phone, drains battery big time. You can set it to connect for updates are regular intervals either, e.g. every 15 mins or an hour. Saves the emails in a new folder in the messages folder, like 3mail or inbox etc.
    Didn't like the idea of having it constant on so i got rid of it. Found http://pushreg.consilient.com/ also, similar idea from what i gather, haven't bothered testing it as i think it does the same thing.
    I tested emoze on a nokia 6120 on 3 btw

brophis wrote: »
    Gave emoze a quick test, it works by having a constant data connection to their server while running in the background on your phone, drains battery big time. You can set it to connect for updates are regular intervals either, e.g. every 15 mins or an hour. Saves the emails in a new folder in the messages folder, like 3mail or inbox etc.
    Didn't like the idea of having it constant on so i got rid of it. Found http://pushreg.consilient.com/ also, similar idea from what i gather, haven't bothered testing it as i think it does the same thing.
    I tested emoze on a nokia 6120 on 3 btw

Yes, i gathered that it would drain the battery big time. When it pushed a mail to me it also triggered "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" by the Hollies to announce the arrival of ONE mail. There seemed to be nothing in the settings (of eMoze) to change this and no way to stop/turn it off until completion of this early 70s hit.

It doesn't seem to offer anything more seductive (save The Hollies) than Mail for Exchange, so again I have to ask, why bother? The data connection is irrelevant to me since I am using it with 3 UK X-Series.

Now if only it would play 'Yes, Sir, I can Boogie.....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

So it uses IMAP?

The value in the application is for those who do not/are not in a position to use mail for exchange or are just a regular gmail user who would rather be notfied when they get a mail rather than log in to the java app and check.
    Battery drain is not considerable. I have had it always on for the last 3 days on my E90 and besides charging it each night to top up, which I do anyway, I have not seen a marked drop in battery life. It maintains the data connection but its minimal traffic. You can set it to switch off push between certain hours.
    Essentially its blackberry functionality minus the monthly fee and is similar to Seven always on et al but is free, which appeals to a lot of people..

• Advertisement

@ Cula: Do you have that famous Hollys tune assigned on your phone to any other alarm?
    My alert is just the simple S60 message alert...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

The value in the application is for those who do not/are not in a position to use mail for exchange or are just a regular gmail user who would rather be notfied when they get a mail rather than log in to the java app and check.
    Battery drain is not considerable. I have had it always on for the last 3 days on my E90 and besides charging it each night to top up, which I do anyway, I have not seen a marked drop in battery life. It maintains the data connection but its minimal traffic. You can set it to switch off push between certain hours.
    Essentially its blackberry functionality minus the monthly fee and is similar to Seven always on et al but is free, which appeals to a lot of people..
    It is essentially a free version of what blackberry/visto do, but I wouldn't say "minus the monthly charge" as this charge is usually from the mobile phone network to cover your data costs (and a fee that they pay to blackberry/visto)

Unless you're running an exchange server, in which case you're skipping that licence fee too! (but you still need to pay a data charge to your mobile network).

erm yes.. "unless you're running an exchange server". That is the point as I mentioned earlier, it's for people who are NOT in that position specifically that may find this free tool useful.
    Don't get me started on blackberry tariffs on either vodafone or o2. You ARE paying somewhat of a premium, not only for the data, but for being pigeon holed into the service which is restrictive in terms of the data you are allowed. eg a Blackberry email tariff that doesn't include html or (from within its tariff pricing) allow you visit a weblink because that falls under a different apn and consequently you are charged for that on top of your blackberry push "fee".... the list goes on.
    If you want it free and simple (paying for your data of course, its not magic) then its a good option.
    It works well for many who don't want to sign a fixed period contract to an over priced network. Its an example of applying the data allocated to you as an end user as you see fit which is what "unlimited" data bundles allegedly enable.
    The best thing about free is you can take it or leave it.

@ Cula: Do you have that famous Hollys tune assigned on your phone to any other alarm?
    My alert is just the simple S60 message alert...

Good lord, I do -in my X-Series profile! Why did I do that? Am I potty? Do-lally?

It's now set to Cliff Richard's immortal "We Don't Talk Anymore" instead.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Is it just me or does the sms configuration give you the following error

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e09'

Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.

/en/get/common/provision_functions.asp, line 95

Advertisement