Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Track Day Experiences

Options
  • 22-11-2007 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

I've been think of doing a track day with my own car, possibly Mondello or Kirkistown (its closer)
    Have many people done them?
    Do you get many laps?
    Will there be many cars on the track at the same time?
    I think its €300 in mondello, is it worth it?

What have peoples experiences been?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

You should be make sure to check your insurance will cover you because most policies state that the insurance is void of the vehicle is involved in racing, track days etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

As far as i know, my insurance will defiantly not cover me and i dont think anyones will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Senna wrote: »
    As far as i know, my insurance will defiantly not cover me and i dont think anyones will.

Correct.

The public days at Mondello are a bit of a joke. Too many on track and too many inexperienced drivers at that. In the past it was like a graveyard for NCT failures to parade around the track - thankfully that's changed for the better now, with the cars on track being of a higher standard.

Depending on the car/drivers track experience, there is a series of VIP days run in Mondello. These are member only events and an open pit lane operates for the morning and the afternoon session after a lunch break in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Not wanting to hijack this thread or anything, but does anyone have any experiance of the clubman course at mondello? Myself and a few friends were thinking of going but were wondering if its worth the €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

PaulKK wrote: »
    Not wanting to hijack this thread or anything, but does anyone have any experiance of the clubman course at mondello? Myself and a few friends were thinking of going but were wondering if its worth the €250.

Paul, I did the Intermediate (?) course during the summer with a couple of buddies, which is a level above the clubman. It was a very enjoyable couple of hours, but honestly, we all felt it was on the short side, given what it cost. We did 10-12 laps in a saloon car and 15 odd laps in a single seater, it felt like it was over much too soon! They are also quite strict on the rules (where to overtake, flags, etc), and will boot you off if there's any messing.
    Great craic all the same though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

PaulKK wrote: »

I did the clubman course about a month ago, enjoyed it, but was glad I didn't have to pay for it myself. Had a great instructor who really enjoyed his job, gave me plenty of confidence in myself and the car (Rover, better than I expected), the single seater was a great buzz, the sounds and sensations were fantastic but it was over way too quickly, only getting into it when it was over.

No problems with the track, not very challenging, well marked for braking points etc, but I felt very frustrated with slower drivers, just when you were getting a nice flow going, you get stuck behind some much slower, wait for the overtaking area and start all over again.

I think that they should time you when in the rover with the instructor and group you accordingly to your abilitly / times. Anybody I talked to agreed that it was great but over too fast and a bit frustrating when been held up.

I intend to do another one of these courses but not at mondello, unless of course I get another one as a present :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mondello is a complete rip off.

Go to the UK or N.I. for much better value. STG£100 will get you a full day open pit lane trackday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I did several track days in my daily car, it was quite a few years back, maybe 5. A bunch of us would drive up to Kirkistown from Dublin, some even travelled from Wexford and Waterford.

Mondello weren't doing these events yet. Its a long drive and good fun but it was quite a bit cheaper then, IR£100 for the day. I can't recall exactly what we got, it was either 3 or 4 15 lap runs which seemd like good value.

To be honest unless you have an extremely good performance car about 20 - 30 laps will take lot out of the car. Its not fun driving back long distances with bald tyres and metal to metal brakes ;)

It is great fun though. The company we used was www.trackskills.com

I did that day out in Mondello too, it was a present so not sure of costs, but it did feel short too !

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Girrrrseach

if you try http://www.virginexperiencedays.co.uk/categories/drive-me,24,PC.html

Mostly all based in the UK, but its worth a look if you're over there at all. The Mini Mayhem @ Mallory Park one is class!!

Thanks all, I think i'll try Kirkistown for dates, but maybe they dont open over the winter, as there are no dates no the websites.
    Its probably not as good a track as Mondello, but i'm only going for the experience and craic. Would hate to do anything stupid and put my car in a tyre wall:(
    I have a feeling it'll be driving miss daisy for the first time out.:D

• Advertisement

Anglesey if your travelling :cool:

Anglesey_Circuit.jpg

updated circuit

Anglesey800.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Thanks all, I think i'll try Kirkistown for dates, but maybe they dont open over the winter, as there are no dates no the websites.
    Its probably not as good a track as Mondello, but i'm only going for the experience and craic. Would hate to do anything stupid and put my car in a tyre wall:(
    I have a feeling it'll be driving miss daisy for the first time out.:D
    Kirkistown is a far superior track to Mondello. I recommend going up there if you're within a reasonable distance.

Robbo wrote: »
    Kirkistown is a far superior track to Mondello. I recommend going up there if you're within a reasonable distance.

Funny, from what i have read, people say Mondello is the better, but i suppose it has a lot to do with personal preference.
    Is Kirkistown a faster track? I've read their website, in particular a review of one of their open track days, its seems to mension a few cars going off and hitting the tyre walls. I'd hate to have that happen, or some other car have an accident and take me out with them.
    How you an accident like be delt with, as there is no insurance, is it just at the drivers risk? even if someone else crashed into you?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Funny, from what i have read, people say Mondello is the better, but i suppose it has a lot to do with personal preference.
    Is Kirkistown a faster track??
    Kirkistown is much faster. I race regularly enough at both and although it's less of a hassle for me to get to Mondello, I resent the place for being too tight and fiddly. With the extension to Mondello a couple of years ago, they had a real chance to improve the place, instead they opted to put in the maximum amount of track in the given space, like some bastard calculus problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you have a crash on track, or get hit for whatever reason, it's your own look out.

ciarsd wrote: »
    Anglesey if your travelling :cool:

Anglesey_Circuit.jpg

updated circuit

Anglesey800.jpg

Fifth Gear used Anglesey for their track based test drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smartypantz

Have been round Mondello on a couple of club track days (no not in the Smart!)

Forget about insurance, don't think any company in ROI will give you track day cover (unlike the UK).

If your new to the track, I would advise getting somebody experienced to drive you round and explain the braking and turning points.

All in all, its very enjoyable and safe environment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I have brought my car to Mondello twice and heres some tips I have:

- Obviously check all fluids are topped up before hand - oil, coolant etc. Tires get eaten as well, depending on how hard you push. Check wheel bolts are tight and pads and discs in good nick.
    - A full tank of fuel needed as track days devour juice. I went thru 50 euro in about 30 laps for the national (small) circuit.
    - Good pads are recommended (EBC green stuffs or Pagid fast roads). I have heard of budget pads going to pieces within a few hours.
    - Dont apply the handbrake when returning to the pits in case the calipers seize on due to the heat. Just pop the car in gear when ignition off.
    - After doing a few hot laps I got into habit of putting on the heater on full blast on the cool down lap to remove heat from the engine compartment, and when back at the pits, let the engine run at idle for a minute or two.
    - If you have different tyres on your car, put the best ones on the back, which will be especially important if wet. Understeering is usually easier to sort out than the back stepping out.
    - Being able to heal and toe will be a great help. On my 1st track day I was no good at this and I really suffered, particularly when braking from high speeds into slow corners. For the 2nd track day I was much better at heal and toeing, and it made for much better braking and cornering. The aim is to downchange smoothly by trying to match engine speed to gearbox speed while braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I brought my (almost) bog-standard Alfa 145 down to Mondello about 3 years back.
    Granted, I was the slowest car on track, but I had fun. I simply drove it fast, kept off the kerbs, kept left for other drivers, used my mirrors and let my pads cool carefully... Brilliant day and I didn't strain myself, the engine or the body parts.

Enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I have brought my car to Mondello twice and heres some tips I have:

- Obviously check all fluids are topped up before hand - oil, coolant etc. Tires get eaten as well, depending on how hard you push. Check wheel bolts are tight and pads and discs in good nick.
    - A full tank of fuel needed as track days devour juice. I went thru 50 euro in about 30 laps for the national (small) circuit.
    - Good pads are recommended (EBC green stuffs or Pagid fast roads). I have heard of budget pads going to pieces within a few hours.
    - Dont apply the handbrake when returning to the pits in case the calipers seize on due to the heat. Just pop the car in gear when ignition off.
    - After doing a few hot laps I got into habit of putting on the heater on full blast on the cool down lap to remove heat from the engine compartment, and when back at the pits, let the engine run at idle for a minute or two.
    - If you have different tyres on your car, put the best ones on the back, which will be especially important if wet. Understeering is usually easier to sort out than the back stepping out.
    - Being able to heal and toe will be a great help. On my 1st track day I was no good at this and I really suffered, particularly when braking from high speeds into slow corners. For the 2nd track day I was much better at heal and toeing, and it made for much better braking and cornering. The aim is to downchange smoothly by trying to match engine speed to gearbox speed while braking.
    Oh my god i really want to go to mondello now.I will look into going in jan for the next trackday.

• Advertisement

Excellent tips Andrewf20, thanks.
    Will have to give "heal and toe" a try beforehand, think its a lost art now-a-days.

10-10-20 wrote: »
    .. kept left for other drivers,

ye what? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

He means let drivers of faster cars go past on the right, if everyone sticks to that then there will be no accidents caused by typical M50 drivers !! :D

Kirkistown is faster, you get to a higher speed and brake heavier, but its fairly safe unless you are an idiot. Also in that company I mentioned they do take you around first and show you the racing line and brake points etc...

Andrews advice is great too and usually you will have a cooling lap to allow you to drive slowly and let your engine and brakes cool down, sometimes coming in from a fast lap with red hot brakes can burn the pads if you just park up ! The brakes will feel like cr4p when you go back out and make lots of noise !

Ohh and be prepared for brake fade but dont worry the brakes usually come back ! ;)

STG£99 for a full open pit lane trackday?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I also work in the Mondello race school and its good to read some of the feedback. I just want to point out to the people that said that the course is short, most single seater races are around 12-15 laps long and they will cost alot more than the cost of the race school course. Plus despite what some people say the advice given by us (the instructors) is very useful and if followed will result in quicker laps. Practically all the instructors are trophy winning drivers in their own field (including myself :) )

PS motorsport in the UK is far more expensive than it is over here.

I really enjoyed myself, and had a great instructor who was very cool and calm in his instruction, giving me great confidence to go harder and harder with each lap in the rover. I had a great time in the single seater but it does take a couple of laps to get used to a completely different driving setup, the very low seating position, gear stick on the right, the noise, vibration, balance of the car etc, then you have the very nervous cautious drivers on the track, I'm no Senna behind the wheel, but it was anoying when been held up by people driving at about 60% when you are trying to give it your best. On my day out I had 4 "clean" that were bloody fantastic, the rest were "good", but it was over too quickly.
    If I had the means I would definately get into some form of motor sport or get an old Golf GTI for track days....

After my session there was a round of I think the european rally cross on, that was amazing, wandering around the pits, looking at the cars etc, anyway I had a great day, If I do get the chance to do it again, I just hope that I won't be one of the slower drivers holding up the others.

ye what? :eek:
    MercMad wrote: »
    He means let drivers of faster cars go past on the right, if everyone sticks to that then there will be no accidents caused by typical M50 drivers !! :D

At Mondello trackdays you are urged to keep 'right' out of the way - hence my shock post :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

At Mondello trackdays you are urged to keep 'right' out of the way - hence my shock post :p

Though it might explain why I've been stuck behind people in the past :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Does anyone know the dates for the 2008 Mondello trackdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Myself and the BIL did the Clubman course at Mondello a couple of months back. Have to say it was very enjoyable, but did seem to be over quickly. TBH i didnt feel quite at home in the Rovers, it took some adjusting to be using a 'regular' road car and hurtling it around the full width of the track. I felt much more at home in the single seater, somehow it just felt right. I started in eight, and was first home :D Best lap - 1.00.xx
    Having tried, and enjoyed Mondello, we;re saving for the Rallyschool in Monaghan sometime in the new year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did it at weekend, same exp as the lads here, too many muppets though drive u mad, "oh I am doing 30mph, I will die" :(

They should rank you based on your Rover performance.

Some buzz

Advertisement