Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Country Music-Whats going on!?!

Options
  • 22-11-2007 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

I have just been a passenger in a car with an acqaintance, for about an hour, an the radio was on to a local station playing Irish Country music. My f***in head is totally done in from it!!! Please tell me how does anyone get any sort of pleasure out of this kind of music ; dulcet repetitive chord tones, lead singer of one track sounded like he had no teeth, suggestive paedophillic lyrics, mock americanised vocals, ridiculous bonhomie cr*p as subject of song. I mean, am I missing out on something? or have I not developed some sort of liking for this music because I'm not a farmer or a jolly ol' irish craic merchant?!! I have to admit that I find it the most DEPRESSING music I have ever heard, sang by depressing artistes about depressing subjects and with the same sort of musical beat that would drive you to drink!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I feel your pain my in laws are mad for that sh1t. The local yokel stuff is the worst - some boll1x with a Casio keyboard who makes a mint doing weddings and Sunday mornings in the old folks home suddenly thinks he's in Nashville and starts wearing cowboy hats and those shirts with the strings hanging down from the arms and thinking they're the local celebrity. The music is so bad it's not funny I'm no fan of country music but at least the Americans have a bit of style jesus these guys have no clue - and the dumbass names they give themselves are the best - there's one guy calls himself Mike Denver - I guess we're all supposed to think he's related to John Denver the local regional papers are awash with these twits every week - worst thing is that people actually listen to this stuff and like it! It's hugely popular unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Yes, I have noted on the local paper every week there is a wasted page of ads of all these gigs in pubs with pics of guys whos haircuts are from 1979, and with th names of like; declan o'neill or sean paddyransard etc. Do a lot of victims actually turn up to these "gigs"???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

irish country music is crap
    it's all about missing the hills of mayo or equally random crap

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Country and Western music is seriously depressing. Stick to Gram or Emmylou, it's just better for you all round

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Some of the American stuff is good, the Irish stuff is all tripe. For some reason Bus Eireann drivers doing rural routes are prone to tuning into it and subjecting everyone on the bus to it of a Sunday afternoon :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I work with old hags on a saturady morning and they love the crap. I feel like smashing the radio. It depresses me and kills me. I cant physically work with it. I dont understand how anyone can like it. American country is ok - some of it. I love garth brooks but thats it. But the irish crap? Help me, how am i goin to face next saturday and every saturday?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jesus there's so much more to country than garth brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 JimmyJazz

Taps monitor - pedanticly...

Fundamental difference to note - In the US they refer to it as 'Country' but in Ireland it's 'Country & Western'

Was in the US for a month touring round in a van there in September and some places it's just wall to wall country... Some really funny stuff out there!

Irish C&W - muckage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

brousuka wrote: »
    Do a lot of victims actually turn up to these "gigs"???

they do. there's a pub in the middle of nowhere not far from where i live that regularly advertise on the local radio with all their up'n'coming gigs and it's all the heft kinda stuff being discussed here.

Drive past of a weekend evening and it's jammers.

there is a collossal market for this out there; whilst Mike Denver or whoever he is might look like a clown to you, you can rest assured he's laughing all the way to the bank. There's a lot of 'simpler' folk who really don't want much more than 3 chords and a two note bassline.

i mean, i think it's crud meself and would rather rub my eyeballs repeatedly against a rusty cheese grater than be subjected to this 'music' but like i say, you'd be amazed at the demand for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Was that last post slagging off Irish country or the entire genre? Lot of sweeping statements here that, while they apply to the Irish variety, represent very stereotypical views of the genre in general

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The lyrical style in the Irish stuff is just so weird. Using words that havent exsisted in our vocabulary for 100's of years.

For I met a maiden fair, on the hills of Kilda.re, and there we entwined and placed my balls on her hair".

Or something to that effect...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

Declan Nerney - what a performer :D

Driver 8 wrote: »
    Was that last post slagging off Irish country or the entire genre? Lot of sweeping statements here that, while they apply to the Irish variety, represent very stereotypical views of the genre in general

it was slagging off the Irish version of the genre, mainly. I mean, obviously early Johnny Cash wasn't much more musically complicated than three chords and a two note bassline, but there was an edge to most of the songs that lifted them above the mundane. Mind you, i think there's quite possibly a lot of deliberately maudlin American country as well, but i'm not familiar enough with it to wilfully slag it off, so i shan't.

I am pointing at the mainstays of the domestic Country'n'Irish scene. The question was put "Do a lot of victims actually turn up to these "gigs" and i was just saying 'yes' and quoting empirical evidence that i've seen myself.

Actually, i'm quite aware that a lot of ordinary 'honest to god' pop music is little more than three chords as well, but at least the instrumentation/vocal inflections change!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

holton wrote: »
    Declan Nerney - what a performer :D

Go on - Join the Fan Club - you know you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

Obviously, you're a member!

eamon234 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

eamon234 wrote: »

JE$US CH*IST !!! Just look at the photo gallery in his site. Sometimes this makes me ashamed to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭McSween

i've seen a few of these acts, declan nerney, robert mizzell, mike denver etc. Initially it was me and a few of the lads for a laugh and a piss take but I am into American coutnry anyway and I was impressed very much with all three.

I, however could understand why some wouldn't be caught dead there but on your night you'll get off with a bird :D and there are some decent ones there.

in my opinion, if these people were in the charts they'd be "cooler", somebody listed garth brooks and johhny cash above. garth brooks is as country as they come, if he didnt play a massive gig here he wouldnt be as popular, and in general the fans only like his slow songs such as unanswered prayers (which is obvious on live recordings, you can hear the crowd singing only the slow ones :rolleyes:). With all due respect to Johnny Cash, his death suddenly made people listen to him in droves.

anyway I'm looking forward to the next bunch of dirt birds at a Denver gig :D

McSween wrote: »
    anyway I'm looking forward to the next bunch of dirt birds at a Denver gig :D

*fires up ticketmaster to search for tickets....* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭McSween

*fires up ticketmaster to search for tickets....* :D

:D , I'll let you know, he is on on Thursday night

Many of the songs are cover versions of country songs from years ago, there is one by Doctor Hook called Sylvia's Mother, I don't know if he is country but I've heard of him. They're not all "Kitty got up wan marnin', went down to Jimmy's farm".

i'll further add that I will listen to anything that I think is good, I don't care if even grumpy trousers is singing it. nothing better than searching online for a particular genre of music and finding a good unknown band sound pretty much the same as a famous band, but just haven't made it.

there is so much wrong with music these days, i despair at the ****ing ****e that is in the charts, Rihanna :rolleyes:

Advertisement