Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder

Options
  • 22-11-2007 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

My sister in law is going back to work soon after having a baby. She's looking for a child minder - does anyone know how much a childminder would cost per week /hour?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My childminder charges e5 per hour, or e40 for a full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Hi,

Our childminder charges €40 per day including meals & snacks.

It's important to make sure everyone is clear about arrangements for holidays & sick days etc. For example we don't pay our minder when we don't need her except if it is short notice (if the little lad was sick etc). But other will expect holiday pay etc.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I have to pay mine during my holidays, bank holidays and if the child is sick and can't go. But if she's on holiday, I don't have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I had a similiar experience as Kelle - I had one minder who charged for any day/time we weren't there (b/c she was registered and the council informed her she had the right to do so). She charged €30/day.

I had another minder who was much more casual and wouldn't have dreamed of charging if we weren't there (but she wasn't registered). I paid her €25/day.

Now we're in the creche where you pay if you're not there and for bank holidays. A weekly rate there is €140 (but I hear that's cheap if you compare across the country). I personally love the creche b/c my daughter feels like she's at a party everyday and I don't have to worry about what happens if the minder is sick (b/c there's always a replacement).

In any case, it's important to ask around to find what local minders are charging and then feel comfortable with whatever rates your selected minder is charging. Generally registered minders charge more than non-registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭ivorygal

Thanks for all the info!

I meant to mention that she is looking for a childminder to mind the baby in her own home - would that affect the rate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That is not a childminder, a childminder minds the child in thier own home, if she wants someone to mind the child in the family home then she is employing a person and will have to pay prsi and the minium wage and declare herself as an employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭ivorygal

Aha - i didn't know that. Excuse my ignorance on this one....would that be classed as a nanny?

Any notion of how much that would cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Multiply the number of hours by at least the minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

...and add on employers PRSI (8%) and employer's insurance.

Preferred option for most parents is a Childminder. It is the most affordable and best option for babies and infants.

Advertisement