Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipsa

Options
  • 22-11-2007 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I hear that the Brass in IPSA are kicking out anyone who gets DQ'd twice now and you have to do some serious boot licking to get back on the squad. They are certainly into rank (ie they like to pull it) and discipline. I don't know if the Supernintendos would be too impressed with this kind of quasi military style of goverance from a supposedly recreational association which doesn't engage in combat shooting....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that you've been DQ'd twice

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Assuming that DQ stands for DisQualified, what does it take to be DQ'd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

OP is vague, kicked out of the squad ? What squad ? Or is it out of the organisation, is there a way back ? extra safety training maybe ? please elaborate. I am not in IPSA. But I shoot pistol. They have to be extra careful as the first accident may be the last, range/s closed etc ?

Official response from IPSA ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

I hear that the Brass in IPSA are kicking out anyone who gets DQ'd twice now and you have to do some serious boot licking to get back on the squad. They are certainly into rank (ie they like to pull it) and discipline. I don't know if the Supernintendos would be too impressed with this kind of quasi military style of goverance from a supposedly recreational association which doesn't engage in combat shooting....

Funny that your first post on boards is an attack on an organisation. Seems like you've got something against IPSA.???

The facts as I'm aware of them:-

A DQ is a serious breach of safety rules. If you get DQ'd more than once you will have to undertake the training course and assessment again. You are not kicked out. It's a fair system. It ensures that all competitors are safe & have safety as a priority while competing. I'm sure the local Superintendant would be more than happy with this situation.

Please note that this is my own personal view & not an official response from IPSA.

regards,
    Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

+1 Packas

The IPSA has a safety record that is second to none.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

As per the Rules and Regulations of IPSA

4)A member, who has 2(Two) DQ’s(Disqualifications) in a 12(Twelve) month period will lose his/her competition licence and must repeat the course free of charge

We take our safety very seriously. DQ's are issued for safety breaches and unsafe gun handling primarily and are not open to discussion. (Please read IPSC Rules).

Jerome Morrow, before you post anymore tripe, you might get your facts straight first.

N.O.I.P., thankfully, with our training, noone has lost their competition licence, not even
    Jerome Morrow (who ever he/she is) nor has
    any member, who has travelled to Netherlands(twice), Norway(twice), Germany
    (twice), Thailand(three times), Lithuania and the European Championships in
    France this year, been DQ'ed. This is testimony to our standard of training.
    In France this year 2 regions who had competitors DQ'ed approached us
    to inquire about adopting OUR safety training manual.

Our Rules and Regulations are available to everybody on our website www.ipscireland.org
    as are IPSC rules on their website www.ipsc.org

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

cantona wrote: »
    N.O.I.P., thankfully, with our training, noone has lost their competition licence, not even
    Jerome Morrow (who ever he/she is) nor has
    any member, who has travelled to Netherlands(twice), Norway(twice), Germany
    (twice), Thailand(three times), Lithuania and the European Championships in
    France this year, been DQ'ed. This is testimony to our standard of training.
    In France this year 2 regions who had competitors DQ'ed approached us
    to inquire about adopting OUR safety training manual.

Our Rules and Regulations are available to everybody on our website www.ipscireland.org
    as are IPSC rules on their website www.ipsc.org

Glad to hear it. It just seemed likely since Jerome only signed up yesterday and their first post was an attack on the IPSA.
    Clearly he's just a troll, maybe the thread should be locked and the OP given a warning or a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

If you get a DQ, which is for a safety violation, you stop shooting for the day and sit out the rest of that competition.

If you are incapable of e.g.

o drawing the gun safely,
    o moving without getting your finger clear of the trigger guard
    (YES the guard , not just the trigger -
    RO MUST be able to SEE the trigger while you are moving),
    o maintaining safety angles (aiming high, low or turning back on yourself),
    o controlling the gun, firing uncontrolled shots
    o cross yourself
    (while opening a door or window you place your hand in front of the gun)
    o drop your gun,
    o etc.,
    o etc.
    (rules at http://www.ipsc.org.)

then you get a DQ and sit down. As you can imagine, if you repeatedly break the rules such as the ones above - you need to relearn the basics.

The bar is definitely far higher in Ireland than in other countries - some don't have a standard. I've done a lot of competitions with guys from the UKPSA and their standard is quite high also.

I went to Lithuania last summer and saw the world champs in all divisions compete and guys from a whole load of countries.

When watching our guys you could see a marked difference in the application of the rules - I'm not saying that the others were unsafe or anything like that it's just the Irish guys were conspicuous for their rigid application of the rules.
    We asked the guys running the shoot - over a camomile tea that evening :D - how we got on, what they thought of our shooting/safety etc - for many of us it was out first big shoot - they said they were very impressed and had no comments from ROs except that the guys in the green shirts were always laughing and having the craic with the squads around them. We also decimated their beer supply which may come back to haunt us next time :p

I heard that there were a lot of DQs this year at the European championships with a very large % from specific countries that don't have a minimum standard i.e competition license.

If I got DQ'd twice the guy who trained me would come visit my house. :D
    Having to spend two days redoing the course and exams for a new competition license would be the least of my problems :D

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Safety first-Dont get DQ'd-simple

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

The IPSA standard of training is second to none. I have attended a number of shoots at different clubs for static shooting competitions and on more than one occasion would have removed the gun from some competitor's if I were RO at the shoot.

I believe that anyone getting a pistol licence should have to complete a basic safety course as a minimum requirement.

Safety first.

ps. I have seen Banana Man drink what I think was Camomile tea, thats the one with the white creamy head right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think the thread's run its course...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement