Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What modern books (last twenty/thirty years) will be in the classics section in years

Options
  • 22-11-2007 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Any true classics recently enough? I'd say we'll see American Psycho, but I'm finding it hard to think of many others - any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the da vinci code.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Oh dear god no. anything but that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Vernon God Little? Kafka On The Shore? Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, definitely, and maybe some of his other books too. These things seem to canonise pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Anything by Cormac McCarthy. I just got into him and my word is he good! Not only does he spin a good yarn but his style is brilliant too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

John wrote: »
    Anything by Cormac McCarthy. I just got into him and my word is he good! Not only does he spin a good yarn but his style is brilliant too.

Same here, just got into McCarthy and can't wait to read the rest of his work.

Other classics would be Amongst Women by John McGahern, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy & most of J.M. Coetzee's work too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

A confederacy of dunces - John Kennedy Toole

Life of Pi - Jann martel

Miss Smilla's feeling for snow - Peter Hoeg

Underworld - Don de Lillo (maybe Libra too)

American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis

A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth

All of Carver's short stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Richard Ford's The Sportswriter

Don DeLillo's White Noise

Paul Auster's Moon Palace

and probably Atonement by Ian McEwan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Definitely Life of Pi, and Midnight's Children too, I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Floyd Soul

Some of Stephen Kings work like The Stand, The Shining, and IT, nd the Harry Potter Series.

I haven't read anything else from the last thirty years that immediately strikes me as classic worthy - but if anyone has any recommendations throw them my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Floyd Soul wrote: »
    Some of Stephen Kings work like The Stand, The Shining, and IT, nd the Harry Potter Series.

I haven't read anything else from the last thirty years that immediately strikes me as classic worthy - but if anyone has any recommendations throw them my way.

dont get me wrong, i loved the stand, and the dark tower series was brilliant, but its not classic material, just very well written pop fiction, it does nothing innovative. same goes for potter. to be a classic a book has to say something that hasn't been said before, and hp lovecraft did kings style before him.

also can I add slaughterhouse 5 to that list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

"Bonfire of the Vanities" seems to already be considered a classic. Now, I really enjoyed the book, but still a little unsure why it seems to be considered that good. Was is the first novel of its kind?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

probably a selection of haruki murakami's work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 arctic_fox

Tree wrote: »
    probably a selection of haruki murakami's work

having seen the earlier comment of "Kafka on the shore" I was gonna post this last comment but failing that maybe thing sin the style of "no logo"

Maybe it a little over the time limit of 30 years but "fear and loathing", "the rum diaries" and other Hunter Thompson stuff will be there...are they classics already?

Advertisement