Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone not had their bike robbed?

Options
  • 22-11-2007 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

The amount of stolen bike threads here is ridiculous, you can't seem to leave a bike anywhere, they inevitably get taken, lock or no.

Bloody thieves

Oh and yes, I had my lovely Kelly's Stylus stolen. Went everywhere with me that bike. sniff...

Have you had a bike stolen? 136 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    58% 80 votes
    No, but they got my Atari Jaguar
    41% 56 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Never happened to me. I'm amazed.
    Actually, now that I think of it…for a long time the bike stood outside rusting, and the upstairs neighbour took it thinking it was abandoned. He could have just asked though instead of just taking it….anyway, never had it proper stolen. touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Friend of mine locked my bike in Temple Bar, but only locked the front wheel so when I went to pick it up later I had a wheel, but no bike.

Although the same bike had been stolen previously, I chased that particular thief down and managed to catch him. Little kid, around 10 yrs. He picked himself up from the wet cobbles and immediately turned, ready to fight, full of hate. Bless...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

beans wrote: »
    Little kid, around 10 yrs. He picked himself up from the wet cobbles and immediately turned, ready to fight, full of hate. Bless...

Respect. I can picture the little darling now. Like little Timmy from the story about the Ghost of Christmas past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

He was almost clear of the cobbles and out onto the Quays, but he made the fatal mistake of shifting down rather than up - the sudden drop in speed threw him off balance, I caught the back of the saddle... the rest is history

But he was so close. I was pumped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When I was four, I had a hand-me-down POS that had no pedals, I just ran as fast as I could and then jumped on.

One night I left it outside the neighbour's house and the next morning the binmen threw the bike in the back of their truck. Robbing bastards :mad:

But, no luckily I've never had a bike stolen even though we had four stolen from our shed by knackers over the course of about 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've had the wheels off my new bike robbed in my back garden a few years back (actual frame was locked so I was lucky) and later had my old bike robbed in the same garden, to be honest I didn't care much as I had a new bike at that stage.

Fun though, you'd think your bike is safe in your back garden.

My flat mate had his bike robbed first from the garden, was funny cause I had come up with my old bike and put it ontop of his.

Whoeever robbed his came in, moved my old bike and stole his :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Had wheels nicked, but (touch wood) not had a bike stolen... though I wish they had, cos the last back wheel to get robbed was worth more than the bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I've had a bike stolen from outside Killester Dart station, they left my back wheel though which I thought was generous (I was young and naieve so I didn't lock it properly). Had another one stolen from Stepehens Green Luas with a very good lock. The last one, they tried to steal from under an ATM security camera in Fairview. When they failed to cut the lock after three attempts, they cut several of the spokes for no good reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Twelve years cycling in Dublin, and parking all over town, and never had a bike stolen. Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

never had a bike stolen, although i was jumped for my kona jump bike last summer!!! lol ironic, luckily i saw it coming and speared him with my foot, and continued on.....stupid pikies:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Have had two bikes stolen in twelve months from Balbriggan train station, and my husband had one bike stolen from there. Find myself avoiding cycling down there now in case my newest bike gets robbed too.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

had my trek robbed outside omni shopping centre, lock and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Had my beloved Raleigh M-Trax stolen from Dartry LUAS stop 2 years ago, think I've only locked a bike out in the open once since. My newest bike has never been locked anywhere but the cage in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

Had a bike stolen in city centre a couple of years back and as i was walking to the bus-stop to go home, saw some gurrier cycling past Trinity college on my bike! Legged it after him, finally caught up with him at the junction of dame St & Georges St, & without breaking stride shouldered him off the bike, sent him skidding on his ass half way across the street:D:D Such an immense feeling of satisfaction!

Never.

*touch wood*

Though I have never had a 'new' bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Nope, had a scare once, but it turned out a priest outside the Galway cathedral just moved it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Had my Claud Butler Chinook robbed from O'Connell St in the middle of the day a few months back. Lock probably wasn't as good as what I should have been using, though the bastards didn't leave it behind, would have saved me a good 15 minutes of questioning the integrity of my recollection. It has one of the original black jockey wheels replaced by a red one so if anyone sees it, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

- Back in 1984 my first new bike, a Christmas present, was robbed from outside school exactly 1 month later. Basic cable lock probably just snipped.
    - In 1993 a bike was robbed from College Green on a Sunday night between 8:30pm and 10pm. U-lock used. Nothing left behind.
    - In 1994 I locked my bike outside a newsagent in Finglas, Cappagh end. The drainpipe was too wide to put my u-lock around so it wasn't locked to anything. According to one of the teenagers hanging around it was lifted into the back of a van.
    There was another theft in there somewhere but I can't remember the details.

No thefts since then because I avoid leaving my bikes out of site for long, except at work - seems safe enough and battered enough to be passed over. The half a 7-up bottle for mudguards helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Surprised the number who _haven't_ is so low, although admittedly I haven't had one stolen since 2001 or so. Key I think is taking care of the good bikes and having a not so good one (Dawes Discovery 201) for leaving in town, etc. (although that hasn't been stolen either.)

Before that I went through 4 (count 'em) Trek hybrids in the space of a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

About 15yrs ago I had a 7-eleven bike (1 of the real ones).Had Mavic gearing,Time pedals and Campag CDA Brakes.Was suppose to go racing after work but fell ill in work got a lift home and left the bike in work.Came in to work next day to find that the factory had been broken into and the only taken was my bike.Boss wasnt interested and insurance co wasnt interested.As an apprentice printer back then I was on sod all money and the bike cist me a fortune.
    The ****ers who ran the shop across the road had a key to the factory and they musta known cause they got in with a key.And the alarm co said that the alarm was set off on the way out:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

yes, two bikes nicked but none since for about 10 years. I learnt my lesson, which mainly concerned not leaving bikes unlocked or just locked to the frame.

Years ago, one chap in Finglas nicked my bike outside a video shop just as i popped in and left in a video for a friend. I ran after him (it was dark) for what seemed like ages without him realising that i was after him. Once he turned into a housing estate he slowed down only for me to catch up and eventually jump him. he was so shocked he barely resisted and walked off muttering under his breath. One of my finer cycling related moments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Classic. I bet he was muttering things like "Cotton pickin... do gooder... why I oughta..."
    Itsfixed wrote: »
    yes, two bikes nicked but none since for about 10 years. I learnt my lesson, which mainly concerned not leaving bikes unlocked or just locked to the frame.

Years ago, one chap in Finglas nicked my bike outside a video shop just as i popped in and left in a video for a friend. I ran after him (it was dark) for what seemed like ages without him realising that i was after him. Once he turned into a housing estate he slowed down only for me to catch up and eventually jump him. he was so shocked he barely resisted and walked off muttering under his breath. One of my finer cycling related moments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Never had one stolen yet.
    Dammit this is tempting fate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

So far I've only had a back wheel stolen..

I'm going to invest in some big **** off chain for my new bike though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I don't use my bikes enough ,that they would be in danger.

We should have more than a few racks around town. There should be some sort of building ,to cater for cyclists. Especially in our climate.

The majority of people don't give a toss about bikes ,they aren't really a part of our modern society (4X4). Thats the governments fault as far as I'm concerned.

More facilities ,will mean more respect for cyclists and their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Never had a bike stolen, I'd have it locked to a bike rack in college 90% of the time (when it's not at home) so it's pretty safe there. Although having said that, my da had his bike stolen from our back garden a few years ago in broad daylight. Most people I know who cycle have had a bike robbed at one stage or another too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

_Brian_ wrote: »
    More facilities ,will mean more respect for cyclists and their property.
    On the topic of respect for bicycles, I parked in Blanch Shopping Centre recently, outside Atlantic. When I was a few yards away a young boy started playing with the brakes. His father told him to stop. Although the action was harmless, it could become destructive. Thankfully his father immediately corrected him - the cynic in me thinks that it might be because I was in earshot.
    The kid would probably not try car door handles - why mess with bikes? Motorcycles can be similar 'targets.'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

A pal of mine had a bike he picked up in the states robbed on him from UCD. Cannondale that wasn't sold in Ireland, so when I saw it parked up on O'Connell Street 18 months later I went into the Garda station, they trained a camera on it and said they would pop out when it was being collected. I emphasised the cost of the machine. I had to leg it, but I'd got hold of my mate who was rushing into town to claim his property.

Naturally the Garda managed to let the bike disappear.

A further 18 months later my mate saw his bike being cycled through the city centre, and got into a stand off with the the fella on the machine. The Garda arrived and awarded the machine to my pal.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

-My brother had a bike nicked from outside his gaff in Bray a few years back.
    -My bike was stolen from the lockup in my apartment building in the city centre. It was just a cable lock and probably the easiest one to snip. I have two locks now, a U-lock and a proper chain lock.
    -A mate had his bike stolen from outside his office near Canal St last week.
    -Another mate had his stolen from outside his house in Cabra.

Thieving scum. Hope they f*cking die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I'm irlirishkev's mate mentioned above and mine went last night in Dublin 2 - exactly 17.45 between one of my mates at work popping out for a smoke and the pair of us leaving.

Locked to a lamp post with two locks.. less than 20 feet from our open office window.. we didn't hear a thing.

It was the 4th one to go in our company in the last year and a half.

:(

Advertisement