Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone not had their bike robbed?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cyclogical on the quays, www.chainreactioncycles.com, and halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

stolenwine wrote: »
    I leave my bike in a thieves paradise everyday ucd. My bike is a second hand crap bike though. I was thinking or upgrading to something 3 times more expensive but would it be safe? probably not.

I would suggest the following areas - down at the wheelchair access railings beside 911 near the library. It says bikes left there will have the air let out of their tires - never seen it happening. Once you leave your bike in a manner that will not inconvenience wheelchair users it should be grand.

Continuing on from there heading up under the walkway to the arts block there's a lowwall with a metal railing on top of it, another warning and a load of bikes parked there as well as some change that has been glued on top of said railing. The top bar is just the right heigt to but a ulock through the seattube and back wheel.

I reckon these are probably the best two places. They're in full view of students all day rather than out in the purpose built racks.

Now, don't go taking my parking space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

neilled wrote: »
    It says bikes left there will have the air let out of their tires

Wha?! SRSLY?

Wha?! SRSLY?

If my memory serves correctly then yes. I'm pretty sure there is one but having said that i've never seen it done before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

If my memory serves correctly then yes. I'm pretty sure there is one but having said that i've never seen it done before.

I’m surprised.
    I didn’t realise the bullies in my old school had gone on to become policy makers at one of the nations finest third level institutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I’m surprised.
    I didn’t realise the bullies in my old school had gone on to become policy makers at one of the nations finest third level institutions.
    It's a simple policy that works well as a deterrent. Rather than go to the hassle of having to cut a lock and remove a bike (and risk all sorts of criminal damage issues), if they make the bike functionally unusable without actually doing any damage, then it makes people think twice before leaving their bike there.

If you park your bike on a wheelchair ramp you deserve it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Never have "Knock knock"
    I did get a chase from some youngfella shoutin "giz a shot oyer bike"
    Dont think he wanted to say "Nice bike mate, where did you purchase this fine bit of engineering form:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

seamus wrote: »
    Hear, hear.

It's not just wheelchair users you need to watch out for. Bikes locked carelessly to handrails/banisters are often dangerous to people with poor or no vision who use the handrails to guide themselves.

seamus wrote: »
    It's a simple policy that works well as a deterrent. Rather than go to the hassle of having to cut a lock and remove a bike (and risk all sorts of criminal damage issues), if they make the bike functionally unusable without actually doing any damage, then it makes people think twice before leaving their bike there.

Yes that's very true but with this particular ramp it is possible to lock up in a way that does not restrict the access of wheelchair/visually impaired users due to the somewhat unusual way its constructed, by locking the bike to the left hand side of the railing (going down). Of course if anyone were to impede access by locking on the right hand side then they'd well deserve to be have the air let out of their tyres but when you look at the way these particular users do it, its grand. Its seems to be the same bikes parked there all the the time.

Thieves seem to operate with absolute impunity in UCD, but if course that does not mean cyclists have the right to impede wheelchair access - i wish to make it clear that in this particular case they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Yes that's very true but with this particular ramp it is possible to lock up in a way that does not restrict the access of wheelchair/visually impaired users due to the somewhat unusual way its constructed, by locking the bike to the left hand side of the railing (going down).
    I don't know the ramp in question, but it's hard to see how a locked bike wouldn't be an obstruction to somebody. A visually impaired person won't be able to check (when at the top of the ramp) if there are any obstructions below. A person with no power/strength on one side of the body won't have a choice to use the left or right side. They can only use the side which suits their usable arm.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    I don't know the ramp in question, but it's hard to see how a locked bike wouldn't be an obstruction to somebody. A visually impaired person won't be able to check (when at the top of the ramp) if there are any obstructions below. A person with no power/strength on one side of the body won't have a choice to use the left or right side. They can only use the side which suits their usable arm.

Trust me, the way these bikes are locked they don't cause obstruction as it seems to be the same bikes there all the time. Before you ask, no mines not one of them, its parked in another place with an air let out of the tires warning. Again, its out of the way and locked with many other bikes that are not obstructing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Yup, Had my lovely Scott stolen out of my Corolla van in Cabra. The bastards broke into the car that was parked on a driveway by the way, not the street, and stole the radio, the bike and my smelly high mileage Asics runners. Unbelievable.
    Another time when I was spending a summer as a bike courier I stupidly left my Specialized Hardrock (unlocked) in a corridor for what was literally a twenty second drop.
    After returning from whence I came I was horrified to see my mode of transport gone AWOL. I realised that the ****er couldn't have gone far (20sec drop remember) so I looked left and saw this fat skanger dawdling down the street on my pride and joy with no apparent hurry about him at all. Funk this says I, this just won't stand so I peg it after him and catch the mastermind astride my velo. He wasn't too concerned either when I confronted him in a murderous rage and just said "it was just sitting there bud, why shouldn't I take it?" Unbelievable and all true.
    If it aint tied down...

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

I've had one bike stolen and I've stolen one bike so I'm level overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I've had one bike stolen and I've stolen one bike so I'm level overall.

What a philosophy! People like you make this world that little bit more difficult to live in. In short, you're a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭worded

Had 6 bikes robbed.

The last one was D locked to a pole. Went to a spar and 2 mins later all that was left was the opened lock on the ground. Hailed a cab to circle the Thomas St area and 10 mins later spotted two 15 year olds with it. We gave chase up a lane way and the driver did a Miami Vice hand braker and blocked the road on the fecker.

I still had the lock and approached the yob "it wasnt me what took your bike mister"

I could have cracked his skull but that was too easy to do, it was his lucky day.

A week later the same bike was fished out of a back garden with a huge wall about 4 meters high. Never saw it again.

GF bike lock was opened with an axe (make that 7 bikes stolen) you know the spiral oxford cable locks.

Lock tips: Use two locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

As a kid, I got literally decked off my (moving) bike by some big scanger... the bike I eventually got to replace it was knicked about a month later.
    I gave up on bikes after that... hmm, could have been around the same time I lost faith in humanity.
    tbh I hope people do get raped in prison, and I hope their path in life has taken them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

As a kid, I got literally decked off my (moving) bike by some big scanger... the bike I eventually got to replace it was knicked about a month later.
    I gave up on bikes after that... hmm, could have been around the same time I lost faith in humanity.
    tbh I hope people do get raped in prison, and I hope their path in life has taken them there.

ah now, hold on a minute. rape? bum rape? to good for em, that's what i say.

i'm with Boris Johnson on this one: sharia law is the way to go for bicycle thieves i reckon. We have a few TDs that cycle (at least while there's cameras around) but i've yet to hear them come out with this type of proactive stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

In many years of Dublin cycling, never had one stolen despite parking it a wide variety of places including UCD. (I feel some gurriers lurking already)
    Gave a bike to a cousin and he lost it in weeks.
    Adopt the 2 shackle lock approach, they tend to move on to one with a single lock.
    Also, always lock it securely in open view. Bike racks that only allow you to lock the wheels are a waste of time.
    If you have a really good desireable bike, get a crappy one for runabout and keep the decent one for when you need it. Being forced to leave an expensive desireable bike locked in city centre overnight or such is just asking for it to be stripped or lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

I had my LOCK stolen UCD last year!

Crappy but functional bike was locked to a solid bike rack with a very decent Yellow Bulldog (?) U-lock.

Bike was just sitting there, propped against the rack.

Lock was nowhere to be seen...

Advertisement