Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Nations Tournament Resurrection?

• 22-11-2007 3:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

With the not too unforeseen demise of the Irish/Welsh/Scottish/English/NI challenge tonight it looks like a Home Nations tourney is firmly on the cards for summer 2008, a sideshow to the Euro's. Personally I don't think it'd serve any purpose other than to emphasise the fact that we ain't in Switz or in Austria that summer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It'd be more useful than a series of meaningly friendlies, and would give the new manager a decent chance to sort out his team rather than being played off the park by Brazil and Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It'd be great to see the scots rampaging through wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

cson wrote: »
    With the not too unforeseen demise of the Irish/Welsh/Scottish/English/NI challenge tonight it looks like a Home Nations tourney is firmly on the cards for summer 2008, a sideshow to the Euro's. Personally I don't think it'd serve any purpose other than to emphasise the fact that we ain't in Switz or in Austria that summer.

I'd love to see a Home Nations competition, sadly tho' it's all down to time. Will probably only work next year as you said as a sideshow, or in between a World Cup year and Euro Championship. I think it'd be a very interesting sideshow.
    It'd be more useful than a series of meaningly friendlies, and would give the new manager a decent chance to sort out his team rather than being played off the park by Brazil and Argentina.

Exactly, I think players would take it more seriously on all sides, at least the games would be competitive. No such thing as 'false results' like giving Sweden a hiding at Landsdowne ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The RoI was never involved in the 'Home' nations tournament. Why do people naturally assume they will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The RoI was never involved in the 'Home' nations tournament. Why do people naturally assume they will be?

The FAI has expressed an interest.

I reckon the Scots might take it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meh, bread and circuses

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Put the following in the "To" field and pop off an email. It can't hurt.

info@fai.ie; info@irishfa.com; info@thefa.com; info@scottishfa.co.uk; info@faw.org.uk

I've already sent an email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It'd be more useful than a series of meaningly friendlies.
    That depends on how much money is involved. Even though it shouldn't really matter to the players, it somehow makes it a lot more prestigious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

if its done like the 6 nations with every team guaranteed 2 or 3 home matches it might work.
    as a previous poster said it would be good to blood a new manager in a competitive setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd much rather this to pointless friendlies. That said, I'd much rather some away ties against decent oppossition than this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The players would prefer a holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

It would be interesting but cant see it happening at such short notice. Anyway where would we play our home games with all the championship games being played at Croker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ireland North v South should be a good one. Imagine all those jumbo union jacks from Larne hanging at Croke Park.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ireland games could be played at Anfield. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

can't see it being played in the summer, there isn't time.

they could spread it out over the designated friendly dates in the spring, but personally I don't expect it to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It'd be great to see the scots rampaging through wembley.
    :)

This made me smile.

Vision of Mel Gibson in a skirt.
    Ireland North v South should be a good one. Imagine all those jumbo union jacks from Larne hanging at Croke Park.:eek:
    I'd love to see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

would Ireland, the Republic of, be included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It wasn't before.

"Home" Nations refers to the fact that they are all part of the UK of GB & NI.

Ireland, the Republic of, fought a war to get out of that, afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Indeed...just struck me as over-presumptuous by some posters here that we'd actually be included...anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Indeed...just struck me as over-presumptuous by some posters here that we'd actually be included...anyway

But its not the Home Nations cup thats been reignited,its a new concept.Just because this thread is title 'Home Nations Tournament' does not make it 100% true.

This story appeared on the BBC website back in the September,link no longer works.
    Plans for a Celtic Cup featuring Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland have taken another step forward.

Representatives from the four national associations met in Cardiff on Monday.
    And Scottish FA chief executive Gordon Smith told the Daily Mail:

"We are getting some answers on the issues surrounding a tournament like this.
    "It could even start in 2008 or the year after at the latest - if we all reach agreement."

England were not interested in a return to the Home Internationals Championship, which was abandoned in 1984.

And the latest meeting failed to iron out whether the format will be a knockout competition or a league system.

"There is debate taking place but there are positive vibes from the four countries involved," Smith continued.

"Friendly dates from Fifa are available in August, November and February, so those could be used.
    "And it could be every two years to keep space for other friendlies.

"We are getting answers and we will meet again in a few weeks."
    Smith also confirmed that Scotland manager Alex McLeish liked the idea.
    "I have spoken with Alex McLeish and we are keen," said Smith.

"One of the attractions is the semi-competitive nature of it after our success at the Kirin Cup in Japan last year."

Since that story broke it has been rumored that England have reconsidered there position on this and are now open to the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Put the following in the "To" field and pop off an email. It can't hurt.

info@fai.ie; info@irishfa.com; info@thefa.com; info@scottishfa.co.uk; info@faw.org.uk

I've already sent an email.

I have as well. I think this would be great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Home Internationals set to return next year but will be called the Celtic Cup.
    Ireland, along with Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland will announce their participation and England have until next week to confirm. They are expected to join as well.

Full Story from BBC Website
    Home internationals are set to return to the fixture list as early as February 2008 but do not currently include England, BBC Sport understands.

Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland will announce their participation in a new competition, called the Celtic Cup.

The quartet would play fixtures in February and March with the conclusion to the competition coming in May.

England have about a week to come to an agreement if they wish to take part.

The Celtic Cup remains subject to confirmation but it is likely to be played every two years.

The competition would have a similar format to the old Home Championship which was staged every year until 1984.

Matches between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were eventually scrapped because of increasing fixture congestion.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he would welcome the revival of home internationals to ease the pain of Euro 2008 misery for the four home nations.

England's defeat by Croatia, following the failures of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales triggered calls for the sides to face each other in 2008.

"I would certainly enjoy that. I've got great memories from the 1960s and 70s," Brown said.

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith has said he is in favour of the move.

It is the first time since 1994 that no home nations have qualified for a major tournament.

Scotland battled valiantly but finished third in a group including Italy and France, while Northern Ireland's fate was sealed when they were beaten in Spain on Wednesday.

Wales's campaign was in tatters after a string of early defeats.

The prime minister said it was "desperately disappointing", adding: "In some cases that's down to bad luck. In some it's bad results.

"I know every football fan in Britain was looking forward to a summer of football next year, so it's very disappointing."

Brown added: "I know some people have called for a one-off revival next year of the Home Internationals.

"That's something for the football associations and clubs to consider."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Odd...I imagined the tournament would have filled the void left by not competing in the European Cup(i.e taking place in June)...then have it again in 2009....and then in 2011 etc, etc.

I would say England will take part. Should be good though..I bet we end up winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

That is such a dumb idea, to play them during prem season. really stupid.
    If they were to play during summer it would be class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

There would be more 'buzz' about them if it was an end of season cup in my opinion. Lovely hot day in June...watching Ireland walk those inferior teams off the park....PRICELESS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cson wrote: »
    Whats the difference?

One of the main reasons it is being pushed by people was, as above, to fill the void because non e of the teams will be playing in the EC. It's made for a summer tournament. Playing it during the season will result in the usual mix of "injuries" that is prone to hit friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

The only reason I can see for them playing the initial matches in feb and march with the finals in May is that the summer is going to be extremely congested with major sporting events next year such as Euro 2008 and, of course, the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

IMO playing the mediocrity of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and possibly England in some end of season tournament no better than some USA Cup, are the equivalent or even worse than ‘meaningless fiendlies’.

And before people start going on about how the Scots and NI are not mediocre, stop, it was only a blip, then will be back to their banal best before we see the end of their respective 2010 WC campaigns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

idiotic having such a tourny on in Feb/MArch.
    It'll clash directly with the Rugby 6 nations.
    I'm not saying this as a rugby fan (I'm not.. I love my soccer more) but you need something like this as a standalone, given that the same countries are involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

when would you play it in the summer though? - they can hardly run it at the same time as Euro 08 (UEFA wouldn't allow them for a start, and who'd be interested in a string of glorified friendlies when there's a real tournament on).

There's only 3 weeks between the FA cup final and the start of Euro 08 and after that you're into July and players and clubs would not be happy playing then.

Plus the Eircom League would be in full flow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think with the current format of the champions league, uefa cup and the program of league games it would be too much to introduce this on a yearly basis. personally, I think it would be a great idea asa one off for next summer. The local rivalry would be brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

"The quartet would play fixtures in February and March with the conclusion to the competition coming in May."

We play Brazil in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

loyatemu wrote: »
    when would you play it in the summer though? - they can hardly run it at the same time as Euro 08 (UEFA wouldn't allow them for a start, and who'd be interested in a string of glorified friendlies when there's a real tournament on).

There's only 3 weeks between the FA cup final and the start of Euro 08 and after that you're into July and players and clubs would not be happy playing then.

Plus the Eircom League would be in full flow ;)

Whats it got to do with UEFA? It's basically a friendly tournament, they're not going to tell temas that their players have to be sat down watchign the EC. We're only talking about 7 or 8 games here anyway, they could fit it in in off days of the EC anyway and near the end.

Plus I think it should be played all at once in a tournament style. Playing it weeks apart allows for changes in form etc.
    As for who'd be interested in watching, would you rather watch Switzerland play Turkey or Ireland play ENgland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

If its played during the middle of the season the clubs wont allow their players to participate and the most experienced players involved will have only 10 caps or so.

Cant imagine club managers being too happy with all their African, English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh players taking part in International cups in February:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement