Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on tenant that left bill in my name

Options
  • 22-11-2007 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Hi I rented my place out to a man but he moved out and recently I received a gas bill in my name, now he had the ESB in his name and there are other items of posting received for him since.

I know that because it's in my name as far as Bord Gás are concerned it's my bill but I am wondering, is there a procedure available for a claim against him etc as I can prove that he was renting etc and the bill is in fact his.

It's 6 months overdue and I would be furious if I was to get a bad credit rating because of it as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It would depend on the lease agreement that you had with the tenant. If the lease specified that he paid all the bills, then you can bring a civil case against him for the cost. Otherwise, you're probably lost - the initial deposit should be used to cover these kinds of costs.

In any case, unpaid bill doesn't affect your credit rating.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

One thing- if the bill is not paid within a certain timeframe they may cut the connection- necessitating a large re-connection charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I take it you no longer have a deposit held?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

thanks for the feedback lads and that's correct Victor, I was a tool and trusted the friend of a friend and allowed him stay the final month not paying rent and the deposit covered it.

I rang him yesterday and he was all 'up to his eyes and broke etc' with his house purchase.

I told him this was not on as I have asked him over a month ago initially.
    He assured me he would be coming and dropping money into my sister.

Now I am not confident that will be done tonight, I just wish I knew of a legal way that haven probved he was living there for the time billed, I could make him pay for the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gibbins123

did he sign a lease?

Would esb give you a copy of the last bill that he paid? as proof that he lived there..

Just tell him to pay within the next 2 weeks and if he doesn't, you have enough evidence to take him to civil court.

PRETEND you have evidence even if you don't. It might just scare him into paying up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Gibbins123 wrote: »
    did he sign a lease?

Would esb give you a copy of the last bill that he paid? as proof that he lived there..

Just tell him to pay within the next 2 weeks and if he doesn't, you have enough evidence to take him to civil court.

PRETEND you have evidence even if you don't. It might just scare him into paying up.

cheers man, might try that alright.

Advertisement