Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best International result in last 18 months?

• 22-11-2007 7:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Birds singing, England losing, England bottling it, England missing a major competition??????????? oh my ****ing god what a beautiful day this is for me on a personal level!!!!!!!!

I know im not alone here, but maybe its not pc to bash England, tbh i have nothing against the players themselves, just the english media over hyping the **** out of an average group of individuals, who cannot function as a team for more then 1 game at a team!!!!

I am a little sad that my best international footballing result in the last 2 years roughly has been englands "most talented group of players ever" lol ****ting themselves again and quite simply being not good enough, i would rather it was an irish success story, but hey, i work with what im given and i havent been able to sto psmiling since the final whistle was blown!!!!

the Croatian coach sums it up in his post match interview.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

First off, i'm glad england didn't get through , because I'm glad all those chav english fans who boo'd the croatian players and anthem got what they deserved.

As for best international result. Nope. For me, that goes to Northern Ireland, and their win over Spain. The fact it wasn't by a single flukey goal and a backs tot he wall defensive performance, it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

aye your right about the muppets who boo anthems also actually, very happy they have to suffer a bit of misery like us next summer, lol, although, another reason is that alot of united players will now get a break next summer.... and yes that northern irish result was a good one, also theyre win over england come to think of it lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

So which would you prefer to watch, a European Championship with England in it or a European Championship with Russia in it.

Give me a a competition with England any day over a underachieving Eastern European side thats will likely bore us to death.

emmmm, id prefer to watch one with Ireland in it, boring me to death but id prefer it to england boring me to death, i imagine ill be entertained more by Portugal, Spain, Holland, Italy(maybe) and a full strength german team then i would be england, and i assume you mean overachieving not underachieving?

in a perfect world Ireland would have qualified and England wouldnt, but ill take the result as a consolation prize. i dont think it will be a great spectacle, i dont think any international tournament is a great spectacle these days, with the exception of maybe the copa america which is always entertaining even though predictable....... international football just doesnt have the same importance as it did have, champions league is the main attraction where the best in the world face each other regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

kryogen wrote: »
    emmmm, id prefer to watch one with Ireland in it, boring me to death but id prefer it to england boring me to death, i imagine ill be entertained more by Portugal, Spain, Holland, Italy(maybe) and a full strength german team then i would be england, and i assume you mean overachieving not underachieving?

I agree, I'd prefer to see Ireland in a tournament (and be there myself) but in their absence I like to see England becuase they do bring a lot of character to an event, even more that Ireland do. (waits to be killed )

And yes I meant 'underachieving', Russia have the largest population in UEFA but have yet to make it past the first round of a tournament since the breakup of the USSR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Pesonally, I thought the Irish result in Cyprus was funnier:rolleyes:

lmao fred, aye, but the thread is actually title best? not funniest..... maybe you should think of englands best result, shouldnt be too hard, was there many?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

So which would you prefer to watch, a European Championship with England in it or a European Championship with Russia in it.

Give me a a competition with England any day over a underachieving Eastern European side thats will likely bore us to death.

Exactly. How about Spain vs Englan or Spain vs Russia? Turkey vs Croatia or Turkey vs England?

Personally id really look forward to watching the england games. I wanted england to qualify. Let them get to about the quarters or semis and then knock them out.

I find it funny that so many of you passionately support an english club yet its like your in 1916 when it comes to their team itself.

Yeah the english media are arrogant, but id still rather watch a decent game with englan than a decent game with romania...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The way England play, I'd rather watch Russia. I watch england reguarly, and yesterday was the best game I've seen them play from a footballing point of view. Normally they are only long balls and ugly ugly football. Yesterday saw a bit of balance. Still, disappointed I won't get to see Beckham play in one more major tourney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

joe123 wrote: »
    Exactly. How about Spain vs Englan or Spain vs Russia? Turkey vs Croatia or Turkey vs England?

Personally id really look forward to watching the england games. I wanted england to qualify. Let them get to about the quarters or semis and then knock them out.

I find it funny that so many of you passionately support an english club yet its like your in 1916 when it comes to their team itself.

Yeah the english media are arrogant, but id still rather watch a decent game with englan than a decent game with romania...

But why?

I mean if England were capable of playing good football then yes, but Euro 2004, WC 2006 and the Euro 2008 qualifiers have shown them to be consistently incapable of doing so against good opposition. If they had got there, that probably would have continued and there would have been a number of games that looked great on paper but turned out fairly rubbish and boring.

I'm not actually one to like seeing England fail (it is simply the morons who boo'd the Croatian antem and players last night that i am delighted for) as I support and english side with a few top england players; so i like to see them do well. However, maybe not qualifying, and playing rubbish, will force the FA to really look at what is needed, and we eventualy result in getting a manager in that can get the best out of the players available and start to fulfil some of that potential the golden generation was supposed to have.

• Advertisement

i have already said i have nothing against the english team personally, but the media make it unbearable for me to watch them....i really hate the hype and the utter bull**** they come out with, so to answer your question, id prefer to watch Spain v Russia thanks, at least it would be mainly focused on the football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ah well, at least there was one game in the whole qualifiers that i enjoyed! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Looks like Dunphys hate campaign will now turn to Ronaldo for Euro 2008 instead of the country of England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

PHB wrote: »
    The way England play, I'd rather watch Russia. I watch england reguarly, and yesterday was the best game I've seen them play from a footballing point of view. Normally they are only long balls and ugly ugly football. Yesterday saw a bit of balance. Still, disappointed I won't get to see Beckham play in one more major tourney.

meh, only 35 next WC.

Personal favourite result was the McFadden belter in Paris which saw it end 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

a sad day for english football,the saddest thing of all is they will not learn a thing from this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

PHB wrote: »
    The way England play, I'd rather watch Russia.

+1 on that! England were dire last nite and throughout the campaign IMO and THEY are now the underachieving European. Lower teams copped on to thier one demensionable play and they rightly didn't get through.

One team I'm now looking forward to watching is Croatia. I thought the team played some super stuff last nite, holding the ball up at midfield waiting for support, counter attacking, some mioght say, Samba football!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

county wrote: »
    a sad day for english football,the saddest thing of all is they will not learn a thing from this

Depends if they hire a world class manager next, or Adrian Boothroyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

TBH I didnt care if they won or lost , my best international result over the last 18 months was any of Ireland's wins , I dont really intake any English media because I know it will be partizan and thats what I would expect really , if you dont like it dont complain because its not published for you , call me crazy but I define my nationalty by showing appreciation of my own country not by getting all fussed over wanting another to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Have you actually seen England play? English matches are generally borefests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

kryogen wrote: »
    lmao fred, aye, but the thread is actually title best? not funniest..... maybe you should think of englands best result, shouldnt be too hard, was there many?

We did skillfully snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in Russia:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement