Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning apple tree

Options
  • 22-11-2007 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all
    I have a cooking apple tree in my garden which is about 70 years old I don't know the variety though. It has kinda grown out of hand now and I was thinking of cutting it back a bit. It is fairly large maybe about 20 feet tall or more, but it produces loads of fruit every year without fail which is mostly out of reach from the ground!!
    Can anyone tell me if there is a particular way of pruning it and is there a special time of the year to do it, can I do it now or should i wait until the spring?
    I don't want to lose the fruit yield, will I get any fruit next season if I cut it back?

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

November to February is a good time for pruning your apple trees, this article will explain more.... Apple tree pruning time in Ireland.

The section Fourth year pruning onwards. would be most suitable to your tree, by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 monvoy

Thanks
    That article looks very interesting
    So I'm just in time to get to work, eh!

Advertisement