Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price on Website Wrong

Options
  • 22-11-2007 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I bought a games console from an irish website yesterday, but an hour or two later I got a call trom the store owner saying the price was wrong and I need to pay another 15 euro and how would I like to pay this.

Does this happen much? It's a present from a jolly old chap and I can't seen to fiind this elsewhere in Ireland with availability before christmas. I don't mind the 15 euro's its just the principle of the matter.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you keep an eye on the Bargain Alerts forum you'll see that its been known to happen from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

As far as i'm aware, he has no right to amend the transaction after the transaction is completed. You paid for the item at the price that was advertised and if the seller decides to up the price after you paid, well then tuff sh1t. But that is just my opinion.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I dunno - Dell and Amazon (and similar online sites) have pricing errors from time to time, and people try to take advantage of them (Dell PC for €40, for instance) but the company doesn't always honour the transaction - i never got my dell PC... I would assume it is the same type of deal here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

surely if they accepted your payment then it's their hard luck, its not like he went to pay and they said "sorry its an extra 15" the transaction was finalised

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Has he updated the website in the meantime? If not, that would show bad faith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As far as I know the sale is only complete when the seller ships the item, up to that point they are free to cancel or amend it. At the very least I know that before they take any money they can definitely change or cancel. So perhaps ring your credit card company and see has the charge gone through yet.

Often the charge only goes through on shipping. If it hasn't there's absolutely nothing you can do. If it has gone through then maybe, but I'm not sure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Actually this happened me a few years ago. The only way the transaction is complete is when the money has been taken out of your account or off your credit card. So until then if there are any changes to prices they will ask you to pay the difference or cancel the order!! At least they rang you and didn't just cancel your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

Thanks for that. I'm going to pay as I want to get it, just the principle of it.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    As far as i'm aware,... But that is just my opinion.
    :(
    One not shared by Irish law, unfortunately!

If he's taken the money (as against having reserved / credit checked it), then that's an acceptance that would put you on a much better standing should you wish to fight it. It doesn't happen wholesale, but it can happen to big sites and small sites alike. Like dahamsta says, if it's not changed in the meantime, question him on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Seller is not obliged to sell at the lower price...however misleading information is illegal and should be reported at www.nca.ie. Only takes 2 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Seller is not obliged to sell at the lower price...however misleading information is illegal and should be reported at www.nca.ie. Only takes 2 minutes.

If they take the money and than try to change the price thats illegal.

Advertisement