Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem in receiving calls on Nokia (Device Error/Software Error)

• 22-11-2007 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

recently I encountered a small little box on the screen of my Nokia 6020 and it is some type of 'device' could be bluetooth or something and I am unable to receive calls/make calls as soon as a call attempts to connect it turns to this setting. It is similar to the headset setting but I am unable to turn this off.

The employees in the Meteor shop said it was a software issue and were washing their hands of it as it is past the 1 year warranty mark (I have brought this phone back previously with a software issue as it kept turning itself off) They said it must be re-set but is there any way to avert this as I do not wish to have to re-set my phone and lose all texts/picture messages.

Advices please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the phone will definitely have to be reset. if you don't want to lose your stuff, back it up onto a pc first with a data cable or an IR connection.

plug a headset into your phone and see if the same icon comes up. if it does, then your phone is probably water damaged. look at the connection at the bottom and you should see some evidence of corrosion on the connections. that means that if you send it off for repair it'll come back unrepaired.

of course i haven't seen the phone so i can't say for definite that its water damage but it usually is if the headset icon randomly appears.

and if you plug a headset in and the same icon doesn't come up, disregard the above :)

when you say you can't make calls, is it jut that you can't hear the person or will it not connect the call at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Anto.

the phone will definitely have to be reset. if you don't want to lose your stuff, back it up onto a pc first with a data cable or an IR connection.

plug a headset into your phone and see if the same icon comes up. if it does, then your phone is probably water damaged. look at the connection at the bottom and you should see some evidence of corrosion on the connections. that means that if you send it off for repair it'll come back unrepaired.

of course i haven't seen the phone so i can't say for definite that its water damage but it usually is if the headset icon randomly appears.

and if you plug a headset in and the same icon doesn't come up, disregard the above :)

when you say you can't make calls, is it jut that you can't hear the person or will it not connect the call at all?

Water damaged - baby drool from her biting it - might suggest the answer - in saying that the connection (not charger) is rather dusty/dirty - might that have an impact on it ? I don't have a head set to hand - infact my phone went back to normal for about 1 hour last night (randomly) Meteor say it is a software issue and said this straight away, my only annoyance is that the software has been faulty since I purchased the phone in June 06 - constantly turning off mid-call/mid-text

Anto. wrote: »
    Water damaged - baby drool from her biting it - might suggest the answer - in saying that the connection (not charger) is rather dusty/dirty - might that have an impact on it ? I don't have a head set to hand - infact my phone went back to normal for about 1 hour last night (randomly) Meteor say it is a software issue and said this straight away, my only annoyance is that the software has been faulty since I purchased the phone in June 06 - constantly turning off mid-call/mid-text

the dirt could explain it too. the fact that your phone went back to normal means its more likely to be water damage. the rule of thumb i use is if it looks like your phone is possessed, its been water damaged.

i used to think it was a software issue too but after seeing a lot of people with the problem all of whose phones came back water damaged i changed my mind. also, one customer got very annoyed and threw the phone back at me and walked out so i brought it home and updated the software just in case and the problem was still there

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Anto.

the dirt could explain it too. the fact that your phone went back to normal means its more likely to be water damage. the rule of thumb i use is if it looks like your phone is possessed, its been water damaged.

i used to think it was a software issue too but after seeing a lot of people with the problem all of whose phones came back water damaged i changed my mind. also, one customer got very annoyed and threw the phone back at me and walked out so i brought it home and updated the software just in case and the problem was still there

Cheers for the reply - meanwhile the phone has resurected itself so back working again - now for Meteor to improve the coverage in Maynooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Hi,

recently I encountered a small little box on the screen of my Nokia 6020 and it is some type of 'device' could be bluetooth or something and I am unable to receive calls/make calls as soon as a call attempts to connect it turns to this setting. It is similar to the headset setting but I am unable to turn this off.

The employees in the Meteor shop said it was a software issue and were washing their hands of it as it is past the 1 year warranty mark (I have brought this phone back previously with a software issue as it kept turning itself off) They said it must be re-set but is there any way to avert this as I do not wish to have to re-set my phone and lose all texts/picture messages.

Advices please!

Anto, just to let you know, the meteor employee who told you the phone is out of warranty may be incorrect. If it was bought since april 05 it comes with a two year warranty, rather than one.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the reply - meanwhile the phone has resurected itself so back working again - now for Meteor to improve the coverage in Maynooth.
    i went to maynooth college and i always had perfect coverage. I think that's something else you can trace to a broken phone
    neilled wrote: »
    Anto, just to let you know, the meteor employee who told you the phone is out of warranty may be incorrect. If it was bought since april 05 it comes with a two year warranty, rather than one.

oh yeah meant to say that :) OP, your phone has a two year warranty

Advertisement