Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan March Clicking noise

Options
  • 22-11-2007 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I have just bought a Nissan March (1999) it has only 55 K (mls) and it is running just fine but when listening to the engine I can hear a clicking noise that is present most of the time .. If this was not a Micra I would have said that the timing belt is the culprit but those cars have a chain belt …
    From inside the car I cannot hear the noise.

Any Ideas where to look at or test to try narrow down where this is coming from ?

Thanks.
    L.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

First of all, check your oil level.

Describe this 'clicking noise' further. Is it a loud click or is more like a rattling sort of click? Does it change with engine speed? Does it come at regular intervals or is it random?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

I have check the oil level and it is ok,
    The clicking noise is rather a rattling sort of click which comesat regular interval.

I will check if it changes with engine speed at lunh time..

Cheers.
    L

It could simply be rattly tappets - especially if it doesn't have hydraulic tappets (maybe someone else can confirm this). With the engine running, remove the oil filler cap and see if the noise is coming from inside the rocker box. Watch out for small splashes of oil!! If the noise is coming from there then I wouldn't really worry about it unless it's very loud.

If you're still in any doubt, bring to a mechanic - just in case it's something more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

ok, I just looked at it now, and here is what I can say :

- From cold, it will take about 3-5 mins before th noise appears.
    - I do not think the noise does not come from the tappets nor insdie teh engine.
    - It does not change with engine speed.
    - It is not very loud.
    - The noise is coming from the left lower (middle) side of the Engine, I see that there is the altenator there but not sure what else is there...

My only hope is that this is not the timing Chain ...at this can be expensive ...

Any ideas, thanks for your help so far crosstownk .

The fact that the noise doesn't change with engine speed is puzzling. That would usually eliminate anything that is driven directly by the engine - including the timing chain.

On that side of the engine are your pulley wheels - alternator, power steering pump, air conditioning compressor, coolant pump.

It could possibly be some electrical/electronic device that is causing this noise as the noise is independent of engine speed.

Anyway, you've two options - 1) Let it develop and get it seen to if it gets worse. 2)For peace of mind, drop in to a mechanic and get his view on it.

EDIT : If your car has A/C - try switching the A/C on/off and see if the noise is still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Could it just be something stuck inside the heater fan? If the fan is on, just try switching it off completely and see if it goes away. Although if it was that, I'd assume you'd be able to hear it inside the car.

Another possibility would possibly be the radiator fan, seing as it only starts a few minutes after starting the engine from cold.

Puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

sounds like you will need to replace the timing chains, they give a lot of trouble in that model up to 2003. nissan do a t chain kit which works out around e120 for the parts and then whatever the labour is to fit it. hope this helps!

Advertisement