Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Permanent England Manager

• 22-11-2007 11:14am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here are the odds from Paddy Power....

Mourinho 4/1
    O’Neill 4/1
    Scolari 4/1
    Hiddink 10/1
    Shearer 12/1
    Allardyce 14/1
    Capello 14/1
    Redknapp 16/1
    Lippi 20/1
    Pearce 20/1
    Klinsmann 22/1
    Coppell 25/1
    Wenger 25/1
    Curbishley 25/1
    Rijkaard 28/1
    Hughess 33/1
    Venables 40/1
    Hitzfeld 40/1
    Jewell 40/1
    Benitez 50/1
    Van Basten 50/1
    Ferguson 50/1

Them there are loads of 'outside bets" such as Beckham & Sir Bobby Robson at 250/1 and Stan at 1000/1.

I can only put 10 in the poll if a Smod can add more that would be great.

Who will the next England Manager 41 votes

O’Neill
    0%
    Scolari
    14%
    FwaggleUnearthlybohsmanPeadarofAodhNalzFratton Fred 6 votes
    Hiddink
    14%
    dardozneacy69Brando_iemikemacNunuDr Galen 6 votes
    Shearer
    2%
    Bubs101 1 vote
    Allardyce
    2%
    brian_rbk 1 vote
    Capello
    0%
    Redknapp
    39%
    Bounty HunterZaphBig EarsRE*AC*TORDub13Juan PabloChardee MacDennisJazzyMr.Nice Guy[Deleted User]NecronomiconSavmanPeyton ManningredzerdrogMr AlanThat_Guy 16 votes
    Lippi
    4%
    eirebhoyleninbenjamin 2 votes
    Klinsmann
    14%
    raven136A Dub in GlasgoshoutmanMitch ConnorDSBAn Citeog 6 votes
    Mourinho
    7%
    _blank_Dayshamenoscemo 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

im very surprised they havnt morinho in that list!
    id have thought the english media wud have him in their top 3.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Redknapp
    prendy wrote: »
    im very surprised they havnt morinho in that list!
    id have thought the english media wud have him in their top 3.

They do my mistake I will add him now.

Redknapp
    I cant edit the Poll to put Mourinho in,if you want to vote for him just hang on on till a soccer mod/Smod can add him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Redknapp
    Definitely Jose for me. I'm sure he'd relish at the fact that he can be reunited with John Terry, Lampard, Wright-Philips and the gang.

i dont think he'll take the job...i think he'l get madrid of barca next summer.
    england isnt that attractive...not havin a competitive match for nearly a year from now....but who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Martin O'Neill, the Atari Jaguar of "Who'll be the next manager of [insert team name]" Polls!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

True! In case of Emergency breakout Martin O'Neill

Jose would be exellent as he's a) good and b) ruthless.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Scolari
    Sky Sports news just reported there that Fabio Capello may of hinted being interested in the job

Redknapp
    I think the FA will not go for an Englishman this time,the simple fact is there is no Englishman good enough to take the job.

'arry!

There will be any amount of rumour and false stories about the next manager, names that are not availible may suddenly make themselves availible if they get a sniff, others may just prefer a quiet life managing a top European club.

Mike.

• Advertisement

and poor big sam always wants it but never gets a look in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think they need something like a Director of Football, someone who can deal effectively with the Premierleague, and allow the coach to just pick the team.

Redknapp
    prendy wrote: »
    and poor big sam always wants it but never gets a look in.

If he had of stayed at Bolton he may have had a chance but he is in a big pile of dog poo up at Newcastle at the moment and I cant see the FA rescuing him.In saying that stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Big Sam took the Newcastle job so that he could do well at a big club and eventually make a name for himself so that he could take over from McClaren either after the Euros when they get knocked out or after the World Cup. I don't think anyone expected McClaren to be gone so quickly.

The job is below Mourinho. They should try for Scolari again, after the Euros. Not before. Not leaked to the press. Just quietly through back channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Redknapp
    I think the FA would jump at the chance of hiring Mourinho. Its debatable whether he would be interested in taking it though. I reckon Allardyce would love the job (i think he has said as much), but I think he would be a poor candidate.
    I doubt Scolari will have changed his mind, Capello maybe, Hiddink maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

O'Neill will not take it, he was pissed off at the way the FA conducted their business when replacing Sven.

Big Sam wont take it as I dont think he will leave Newcastle at this stage.

Jose wont take it because he knows the English job is very very dangerous, it can destroy your credibilty as a manager, and could definitly ruin his "special one" tag that he loves so much.

Scolari may, but the FA would have to wait until after the Euro championships before he can even be approached. The same goes for Hiddink.

If Klinsmann didn't want the Chelsea or Spurs job I cant see him wanting the English one.

Shearer may be brought in as some kind of coaching assistant but not as a Manager.

I cant see any reason why Redknapp wouldn't be interested come the end of the season, maybe Shearer as his assistant and playing a large roll in the friendlies before the end of the season.

No way Wenger is leaving Aresnal for England, when he leaves Aresnal it will be for the French job or retire (guarantee). Same for Ferguson not leaving Utd.

After that I'm not sure who they are left with from the list I see Capello, Lippi, Rijkaard, Hitzfeld, and a bunch of mediocre managers with little experience in top flight/european football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I saw an interview with Sam Allardyce recently and he said that he was retiring from football when he gets to 55. So that cant be too far off, what age is he now?

pd101 wrote: »
    I saw an interview with Sam Allardyce recently and he said that he was retiring from football when he gets to 55. So that cant be too far off, what age is he now?

Born on October 19, 1954. So just gone 52.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Between Mourihnio and Hiddink for me.

Where is the Staunton option in the poll?

Redknapp

We can only have 10 in the poll,Paddy Power have him @ 1000/1...:D

• Advertisement

Between Mourihnio and Hiddink for me.

Do you mean who your first choice would be or as in who is actual option?

Scolari
    Dub13 wrote: »
    We can only have 10 in the poll,Paddy Power have him @ 1000/1...:D

So Tony Blair has less odds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

does this mean we'll be sloppy seconds to england now? they'll get the good manager and we'll be left with the 2nd choice!

Scolari
    I'll continue it in here then
    Then why has the only top class manager they have been able to attract recently is Sven. Then when they go to replace him the only top class managers they could attract was Scolari and O'Neill. Its because top class managers dont need the money and aren't attracted by the "easy money".

As has been said very few managers come out with their credibilty intact, even Sven came out looking bad. The English job is one of the most high pressure jobs and stressful out there due to the fans demanding they reach semi finals or more, and the media demanding the same while also turning on you and ripping apart your personal life in the process.

England had a thing about only appointing English managers for many years, it's what the fans wanted.

and what do you mean only attracted Scolari? The manager who won WC 2002, and was in the final of Euro 2004. Surely that's a sign it's a very attractive job.

As for the pressure, people like Capello, Scolari and whoever else is interested have dealt with some very demanding fans before and handled it well

The_B_Man wrote: »
    does this mean we'll be sloppy seconds to england now? they'll get the good manager and we'll be left with the 2nd choice!

Good point. Hopefully it will make the FAI act fast now, get their commitee together and start making contact with candidates. Plus who is saying England is a more attractive job, the pressure in that job must be unreal, while in the Ireland job if they can build a cohesive team that makes a decent challenge at qualification its progress. With England you need to reach the semi's or your fired.

Unearthly wrote: »
    England had a thing about only appointing English managers for many years, it's what the fans wanted.

OK, but the job shouldn't be given to who the fans want, its should be given to who the FA think can do the best job. Maybe they have realisied that. But they still failed to bring in a top class manager after Sven
    and what do you mean only attracted Scolari? The manager who won WC 2002, and was in the final of Euro 2004. Surely that's a sign it's a very attractive job.

As for the pressure, people like Capello, Scolari and whoever else is interested have dealt with some very demanding fans before and handled it well

Well the FA didn't attract Scolari too well. The FA approached him with an offer and he refused it, so in reality you didn't attratc him at all, maybe my phrasing was wrong.

Yes they have dealt with high pressure jobs before (Scolari especially the Brazil job is the hardest in football). Scolari believed and prob still does he has a better chance of success with Portugal than England.

Capello may be interested in the job but what was being said in that thread was that english fans and media throw these names about like the FA can just say we want him and they will automatically get him.

Scolari
    Agree with most of that. Think we have our wires crossed.

I was just saying that the England job can attract managers of a higher calibre than Paul Jewell(although looking back, that was clearly said with tongue in cheek)

They want Mourinho, but I don't think he'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Redknapp
    I wonder if they'll wait until after the Euros, when the usual hustle and bustle of managerial exits tend to happen.

I'd say they'd love Mourinho, but I think it'd be more likely to be someone like Hiddink or Capello. Van Basten might be an outside shout as well.

Agree with most of that. Think we have our wires crossed.

I was just saying that the England job can attract managers of a higher calibre than Paul Jewell(although looking back, that was clearly said with tongue in cheek)

They want Mourinho, but I don't think he'll take it.

Everyone wants Mourinho:) Thats the problem he will have a pick of jobs at the end of the season. Yes I think Paul Jewell was being mentioned tongue in cheeck because he is a current favorite for the Irish job. Though Jewell is prob a better manager than McClaren.
    I wonder if they'll wait until after the Euros, when the usual hustle and bustle of managerial exits tend to happen.

I'd say they'd love Mourinho, but I think it'd be more likely to be someone like Hiddink or Capello. Van Basten might be an outside shout as well.

Why do people think Hiddink would be interested when he has just knocked them out, and he more than likely has the Chelsea job waiting for him if he leaves Russia. The same with Van Bastan why would he leave the Dutch job for England its not a step up.

Capello could be a serious candidate, currently out of job and certainly capable of doing a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Redknapp
    mourinho has already stated he only wants to manage portugal at international level and not for a few years too...

Redknapp
    Why do people think Hiddink would be interested when he has just knocked them out, and he more than likely has the Chelsea job waiting for him if he leaves Russia. The same with Van Bastan why would he leave the Dutch job for England its not a step up.

Well I don't mean before Euro 08. I heard a Dutch journalist saying that public opinion has gone against Van Basten because they don't like his style of football - if he left Holland after next summer, I don't see why he wouldn't be tempted by a job like England.

As for Hiddink, again I don't expect him to leave before Euro 2008 but if there still wasn't a permenant manager in by then, why not? You can't deny that England is a step up from Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Jose wants a club. He wants to retire with Portugal. He will NOT take the England job, the bookies know this full well and are putting it at good odds so that people will bet on it.

Well I don't mean before Euro 08. I heard a Dutch journalist saying that public opinion has gone against Van Basten because they don't like his style of football - if he left Holland after next summer, I don't see why he wouldn't be tempted by a job like England.

IMO he would be more likely go into club management, and there is talk of him getting a new contract before then. Also will england wait that long? Can England wait that long now they will be second seeds for the upcoming world cup qualifiers, and will face a much harder group to progress from.
    As for Hiddink, again I don't expect him to leave before Euro 2008 but if there still wasn't a permenant manager in by then, why not? You can't deny that England is a step up from Russia.

Yes England is a step up from Russia, but as I said I believe that there is some role at Chelsea waiting for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Mourinho wont take the job, its seen a a poison chalice by foreign managers. Scolari was close to taking it until he saw what he would be in for with the media camping outside his house - its people like Brian Wollnough that make the england job a nightmare. Brazil, Italy, the Argys, Germany - all bigger footballing countries with a higher expectation than the english with less pressure.

i enjoyed Geoff Thompson comments this morning, england fans should listen up - "we have no divine right to play in any major tournament - but it is quite right that qualification is expected".

they wont get whoever is top of the FA list. if you stay domestic, it has to be Harry redknapp. if you go foreign, gotta be Capello. i think capello could actually turn their fortunes around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Redknapp
    Hands off O'Neill ye bashtids. :mad:

• Advertisement

Good news for Magpies! Big Sam has ruled himself out.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I cant see past Capello really.

When you need a manager to handle big name players, and Capello puts himself up for it, you just dont say no.
    "Me to coach England? It would be a challenge, a beautiful test to overcome and I would have the right age," Capello said on TV channel Rai.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12010_2896509,00.html

Redknapp
    Also will england wait that long? Can England wait that long now they will be second seeds for the upcoming world cup qualifiers, and will face a much harder group to progress from.

That's what I was alluding to in my earlier post, it's an interesting one - would they sacrifice preparation time to wait until the Euros are over, and probably have a few more managers to choose from?

I agree with Rebel though, Capello has to be favourite - how many managers if his quality are out of work at the moment?

In a sane world Rebel, in a sane world.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Hiddink
    Call_me_al wrote: »
    mourinho has already stated he only wants to manage portugal at international level and not for a few years too...
    shane86 wrote: »
    Jose wants a club. He wants to retire with Portugal. He will NOT take the England job, the bookies know this full well and are putting it at good odds so that people will bet on it.

Yes, listen up people. If Mourinho is a man of his word he will NEVER take the England job.

They are going to go for Scolari and O'Neill again, having learned the harshest of lessons

• Advertisement

Redknapp
    Mourinho added to the Poll so vote away.

Redknapp
    Graham Hunter just tipped Roy Keane on Newstalk.....:eek:

Latest runners and riders

Withdrawn-
    O'Neill
    Big Sam

Not Declared-
    Harry Redknapp
    Mike Bassett
    Luis Scolari

Not Declared but rumoured/proposed by others
    Hiddink (might be falling out with Russian FA)
    Klinsmann

Interested as of now-
    Capello
    Mourinho
    Houllier (backed by David Dein)
    Van Gaal

Not a bad list to choose from.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Has Houllier not just got a big job with the French FA (looking after the kids I think) ruling him out of the English and Irish Jobs?

Redknapp
    emc2 wrote: »
    Has Houllier not just got a big job with the French FA (looking after the kids I think) ruling him out of the English and Irish Jobs?

Yes he has but he also has a clause in his contract that he can leave for next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Mourinho has not ruled out the England job. Just said there on SSN that he does not rule anything out, he said he could not comment on it, only if the FA were to approach him on the subject would he say whether he's interested or not.

Advertisement