Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Opel Astra Saloon

Options
  • 22-11-2007 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

More details here.

Question is: will it come here, considering how popular 3 box cars are here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pictures of that car are out since 05 if I remember correctly. No idea if it's coming here. A bit late now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pictures of that car are out since 05 if I remember correctly. No idea if it's coming here. A bit late now though.

I see I posted a link to the facelifted saloon, which surprise surprise is the samefacelift applied to the hatch. I knew I had seen something familiar before when I posted this this morning, turns out it was what you said. And you're right, a bit late in the day now, but since Toyota are importing the Corolla Saloon(and seem to be doing very well too), I was wondering why Opel didn't bother to.

Because the Corolla is a new design, and always sells well and makes Toyota Ireland money. The Astra is a dead duck in this country and is best described as rental fodder.

IMO the worst thing Opel ever did in Ireland was stopping sponsoring the Irish football team, until then people were under the impression that Opel were somehow Irish (helped by the fact that they were badged as Vauxhall in the UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Because the Corolla is a new design, and always sells well and makes Toyota Ireland money. The Astra is a dead duck and is best described as rental fodder.

That's a bit harsh!

Smallish saloons aren't my thing but surely importing it is a no-brainer with our fondness for saloons?!?

In that case they should have launched it the same time as the hatchback, back when it was new.

The Corolla is sold in right hand drive in other markets outside Europe. It probably wouldn't be feasible to build the Astra saloon in RHD just for us (the UK wouldn't want it I'm sure)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I had a thread last year about that car. It was being built in Turkey and now Poland. There was the old Astra saloon built in Poland as an Astra Classic. I also wonder if there is a new Corsa saloon, a car that hasnt been available here since I993.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

O god. Not nice methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

In that case they should have launched it the same time as the hatchback, back when it was new.

The Corolla is sold in right hand drive in other markets outside Europe. It probably wouldn't be feasible to build the Astra saloon in RHD just for us (the UK wouldn't want it I'm sure)

Yeah, it seems the logistics on installing the RHD interior is not worth it - probably built at a different factory... Maybe GM and the motor industry in general need more flexible manufacturing process to exploit all the nuances of local markets though?

Opel has really lost ground. Once they were an everyman's quality German car - much like VW. It all went wrong around the time of the Vectra MkII or maybe before.

I suppose a lot of it is that they don't have the same support from fleets as they do in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I suppose a lot of it is that they don't have the same support from fleets as they do in the UK.

They do still provide higher levels of fleet support than any other manufacturer. Discount level can be up to double what your employer offers if putting together a big tender, and at least 1.5 times higher than anyone else (except Nissan) at all times. Problem is, no one wants them new yet alone second hand so there is no RV making them more expensive to lease than the competition.
    It's very tricky to sell a product that no-one really wants, that's also more expensive than the competition.

• Advertisement

you got my sentance backwards ROR, they're not GETTING support from fleet customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The previous generation Astra saloon always sold well here but I think this one is only made in LHD for developing countries. Most likely too expensive to engineer in RHD for the tiny Irish market. The rear is no oil painting anyway. Looks like an after thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zzantara

There will be an Astra Saloon available in Ireland from May 08,the reason that is was not available to date is that Hatchbacks are much more popular in the larger markets of the UK and Germany and the factories that supply Ireland don't produce a Saloon,however there is a saloon made for Poland that Opel Ireland have managed to get access to,I have'nt seen it yet but it might be on Opel Poland's site??

Woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 OPEL PARTS GREE

zzantara wrote: »
    There will be an Astra Saloon available in Ireland from May 08,the reason that is was not available to date is that Hatchbacks are much more popular in the larger markets of the UK and Germany and the factories that supply Ireland don't produce a Saloon,however there is a saloon made for Poland that Opel Ireland have managed to get access to,I have'nt seen it yet but it might be on Opel Poland's site??

+1 also in Greece from May 08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There will indeed be an Astra saloon specially for Ireland. I'd like to know who was the eejit in Opel that thought we should have been left out until now, considering that there has been an Astra saloon around since at least 2006 AFAIK. Better late than never I suppose.

There will be a 1.6 and 1.8 petrols, as well as 1.3 and 1.7 diesels. No 1.4 interestingly, it's no longer necessary anyway now that we're taxing cars on emissions. On sale in April with the 1.6, and the other engines will be sold from July(presumably the biggest sellers will be the diesels, not really sure why Opel are going to bother offering us the 1.8 model, but at least there's no 1.4 anyway).

From the Irish Independent
    It's saloon so good as Opel give Irish the boot

Wednesday February 27 2008

IRISH buyers will be the only ones in western Europe to have the option of buying an Astra saloon. The 4dr version has just been unveiled here.
    With a lot of boot space (it has the long wheelbase from the estate), it also features 16in wheels, leather steering wheel with audio controls, front fog lights, trip computer, CD stereo with MP3 plug-in, and electric front windows as standard.
    The car comes in Exclusiv, Club and Design trim and will be powered by a 1.6i 16v VVT 115bhp petrol engine, from April. Two diesels (1.3CDTi and 1.7CDTi) come in July, as does a 1.8i 16v VVT 140bhp petrol. Ex-works prices start at €23,035.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

E92 wrote: »
    ....Considering that there has been an Astra saloon around since at least 2006 AFAIK. Better late than never I suppose.........

IRISH buyers will be the only ones in western Europe to have the option of buying an Astra saloon. ....

What country has the saloon since 2006 ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Its nicer than the jetta anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A bit daft at this stage since the current Astra model has been around for the last 4 years and the next generation is being launched within the next two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Its nicer than the jetta anyway

The Jetta is just a Golf with a boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

But its a whole lot more boring somehow IMO

Advertisement