Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying an Ex Courtesy Car from Dealer

Options
  • 22-11-2007 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

An Opel Dealer in Dublin - DG Opel is having a sale of 07 Opel Astra Sportshatchs 1.4. They are ex courtesy cars.

His price is 2k lower than my local Opel Dealer in Monaghan.

Am not sure whether to go ahead with DG Opel or not.

Am not worried about the year of the car, because I tend to keep my cars for 5yrs +.

I just would like to get peoples views on this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kluivert wrote: »
    His price is 2k lower than my local Opel Dealer in Monaghan

2k lower than a similar condition similar spec '07 car that was not a courtesy car?

In that case it sounds like a pretty good deal. I presume you still get the balance of a manufacturers guarantee with the Opel?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As in €2k less than the cash price of a new identical one in January? If so, sounds like too much to me. What's the mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

unkel wrote: »
    2k lower than a similar condition similar spec '07 car that was not a courtesy car?

In that case it sounds like a pretty good deal. I presume you still get the balance of a manufacturers guarantee with the Opel?
    I think I misunderstood. If that's the case then i'd agree. Insamuch as an 07 Opel can ever be a good place to put money.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

They are ex courtesy cars.

How many courtesy cars is the dealer selling? If he's got quite a few, then there is a chance they might be ex-rentals. I've seen the courtesy car twist used before to sell ex rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote: »
    How many courtesy cars is the dealer selling? If he's got quite a few, then there is a chance they might be ex-rentals. I've seen the courtesy car twist used before to sell ex rentals.

That would be very sneaky!

I just checked on their website and they're selling 4 '07 courtesy cars. A Corsa, a Zafira and 2 Astras. Sounds about right for a large Opel dealer

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    That would be very sneaky!

I just checked on their website and they're selling 4 '07 courtesy cars. A Corsa, a Zafira and 2 Astras. Sounds about right for a large Opel dealer

Only 4 - that does sound right for a fleet of dealer courtesy cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Look at their website, they have abuot 10 '07 Opel Astra Sporthatchs for sale.

DG Opel 07 Astra = €20950

McChesney 07 Astra = €22000

Same mileage.

Ok theres only a grand in the difference, sorry.

I went to DG Opel before back in the begining of 2007, they told me then that there sportshatches are ex courtesy cars, I took it that he meant ex rentals because he had so many of them.

Would you advise to stay away with ex-rental, and buy the pre reg car in Monaghan. Am from monaghan by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Ask them specifically, but I cant see any rental company taking on Sportshatches ?

They are Astra's after all so in a rental fleet I dont think they would attract the premium required !

I could be wrong though..............................it has happened once before ! ;)

From previous posts, it appears that you are a regular customer of McChesneys. Have you shown the DG deal to the salesman in McChesneys. He might drop a few € as you're a regular customer. From your point of view it might be worth spending a few bob more to buy local, usually it results in better service - I know this isn't the way it should be, but it is the reality in a lot of cases. Ultimately the decision is yours, but I would recommend talking to McChesneys and see how far they will go for you on the price.

I bought my 99 Astra back in July 2004 from a private buy, have got my car serviced there since. GF is the one who is actually look to trade up. She bought a 01 Opel Corsa from McChesney in Jan 2003, traded in against her current car 03 Astra in June 2005. She gets her car serviced with them as well.

They provide a very good service, always given a car free of charge for the day. Friendly mehanics and sales people. Good choice in stock, just a bit pricey for cars although they re very reasonable with servicing.

Got the timing belt done, service, replace suspension link and a few other bits and bobs - wipers and bulbs for 435e. And a car for the day, which i thought was good for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I live near a few rental car co's and have seen a fair few astra 3'door hatches around. I wouldn't touch an ex rental, so check if the are ex-hire.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Whoops...complete fúckup, needs deleting please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Would definitely be looking for a lot more of a discount on the "ex courtesy" cars. They are second hand after all and the fact he has 10 sounds like ex rental to me.

As for Mc Chesneys......worst shower of eejits I've ever dealt with

furtzy wrote: »
    As for Mc Chesneys......worst shower of eejits I've ever dealt with

Can you enlighten please either by PM'n me or here.

Can you enlighten please either by PM'n me or here.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Are all Astra 3dr cars called Sportshatches ??

MercMad wrote: »
    Are all Astra 3dr cars called Sportshatches ??

All the new models are yes. The Mk 4 3dr where known as Sport.

My GF has a 1.2 3dr Astra Sport. Anyone get the joke there.

Right decision made, not going to buy from DG Opel, on the basis, that people trash rentals and courtesy cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sound like ex-hires to me. There seems to be alot of ex-hires still on forecourts this year. Generally they are sold by late September or early October.

PS Buying an ex-rental is hit and miss just like any second hand car. I have bought them before and never had a moment's bother with them and you get the balance of the manufacturer's warranty with them. I have seen some though that were obviously abused. Private owners can abuse their cars too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

Enterprise Car Rentals run loads of Sportshatch Astras.

I don't see why there is such big opposition to rental cars. Only a small few are hopped off ditches or rev-limiters and one can usually see the signs on those that are. If there is a three year manufacturer's warranty with the car then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The Astra is a nice design but hopelessly under-powered. Definitely all dressed but nowhere to go!

Wasn't there an offer from Opel to get a weekend long drive test drive in the Astra. These were hire cars that the garage would simple hire out for the test drives. Could be the sale of these as there seems to be a lot of 07 reg Astra's for sale in opel dealers at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Am I the only one who doesn't think 2k is much of a discount on a car that'll be a year old in a few weeks? :confused: He's trying to off-load them fast before they get hit with the "last year's model" stigma/depreciation.

TychoCaine wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't think 2k is much of a discount on a car that'll be a year old in a few weeks? :confused: He's trying to off-load them fast before they get hit with the "last year's model" stigma/depreciation.

Your probably right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I wouldn't go near DodGy opel. A mate of mine had a very bad experience with them this year. They forgot to re connect the fuel filter correctly while servicing his diesel motor. He filled his tank after leaving the garage not knowing there was diesel pissing all over the engine. The AA told my mate as I did that he was lucky it wasn't a petrol car otherwise it would have gone on fire. They towed it back to the garage a day later, yes a day and about 4 calls later. Would you believe they had the cheek to tell him to drive it back to them:rolleyes: Turned me off Opel for life!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zzantara

Rentals are generally considered to be cars that you see in Airports etc,rented mainly to tourists that tend to give them a harder time as they are in a strange country and trying to "do" the cliffs of Moher/Giants Cause Way/Ring of Kerry in three days with lots of bodies/luggage in the car???
    Courtesy Cars are cars that are used mainly by Irish poeple that needed a replacement car while theirs were off the road for repair for instance ?some Insurance companies include a car as part of their policy ,these cars are sometimes just driven as far as the drivers office and parked outside for the day,generally they are in much better condition than Rental Cars,I would always rate a Dublin car a better bet than a Monaghan Car,no offence intended but those Monaghan back roads can really give a car some stick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

zzantara wrote: »
    Rentals are generally considered to be cars that you see in Airports etc,rented mainly to tourists that tend to give them a harder time as they are in a strange country and trying to "do" the cliffs of Moher/Giants Cause Way/Ring of Kerry in three days with lots of bodies/luggage in the car???
    Courtesy Cars are cars that are used mainly by Irish poeple that needed a replacement car while theirs were off the road for repair for instance ?some Insurance companies include a car as part of their policy ,these cars are sometimes just driven as far as the drivers office and parked outside for the day,generally they are in much better condition than Rental Cars,I would always rate a Dublin car a better bet than a Monaghan Car,no offence intended but those Monaghan back roads can really give a car some stick!

Uggh .. i dunno about that, friend of mine had a Temporary replacement on his Insurance and he drove the arse off it. His attitude was .. its not mine so who cares ! ..

105mph in 4th gear ... ffs ....

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zzantara

Ever brought a damaged acr back to a rental company ?? get out your credit card,most people won't take a chance and treat the rental car with kid gloves incase they get ridden when they return it !

Ever brought a damaged acr back to a rental company ?? get out your credit card,most people won't take a chance and treat the rental car with kid gloves incase they get ridden when they return it !

True - but not those who purchase sufficient insurance to reduce the excess to zero. We sell hundreds of ex-rentals and practically all of them are in good condition. I'm know there are ex-rentals out there that have been abused but in reality it is very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Yeah I tend to agree, you hear some people bragging on forums about doing 100mph in 3rd in a rental car but I think thats just immature, school yard talk. I believe most people want a hassle free experience and look after the cars and are happy to get them back to the rental company undamaged and unmolested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 edwardh55

Ex rentals are usually a pretty good buy, remember they get alot of attention such as cleaning every couple of days and if there are wheels or tyres damaged they are replaced, once they come back to the dealer they are given pretty big check overs because its in the dealers interest to have a clean car to sell and make the rental company pay for any damage incurred
    Plus you have the remainder of your warranty left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

I bought an ex-hire Astra from DG Opel a few years ago, had one very slight problem a couple of months later and rang them, they arranged for me to bring it into my local Opel Dealer - I live in Clare - and it was fixed straight away.

Advertisement