Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Wembley surface so bad

• 22-11-2007 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

I have seen Lansdowne in better shape, what was the story with the pitch last night. Its a brand new stadium and it looked like the pitch had been bombed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

American Football match a few weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

PHB wrote: »

You could see where the American game had worn the pitch, mainly along what would have been the touchline for that game (Amazing how narrow an American pitch is).

I think Wembley will suffer from the micro climate syndrome that a lot of large grounds suffer from. I guess that a pitch will also need time to bed in a bit as well, it is still relatively new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I was wondering that myself. From some angles you could still see the american football markings on the pitch. But its been a while since that game was on, you would think they could have had the bitch in a better state than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Okay, but it rained for that whole NFL match, so why didn't they close the roof?

It rained yesterday. Why didn't they close the roof?

Croke Park has four matches every weekend during the summer and it's not in that bad shape.

Okay, but it rained for that whole NFL match, so why didn't they close the roof?

It rained yesterday. Why didn't they close the roof?

Croke Park has four matches every weekend during the summer and it's not in that bad shape.

No roof at Wembley is why.

Croke park has a low stand on one end which will allow the wind to dry the pitch naturally and allow more light in letting the grass grow better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Also they played an u21 game on the pitch before it had time to settle and have been playing catch up ever since. Its basically a combination of things.

I think there was also concerts there so the pitch would have been blocked from the light.

Also read somewhere that the drainage system is not up to scratch there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

It was a disgrace considering they were giving out about the russian pitch!

They should have got some of the pitch-caretakers help from the US, tips and info... i'm sure the damage control is different for AF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

New Pitch + NFL Game + Bad Weather + (concerts maybe i dunno if any were on)= Crap Pitch.

The problem is Wembley cost so much, ran over budget and was delayed a good bit that they have to get as many events in it as possible to make financial viable. This means that the surface for international games is not getting as much consideration in scheduling as it should be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

PHB wrote: »

That match was about 4/5 weeks ago and you could still see the pitch markings. Looks like they did no work on the pitch at all inbetween

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No roof at Wembley is why.

Croke park has a low stand on one end which will allow the wind to dry the pitch naturally and allow more light in letting the grass grow better.

Was a retractable roof not the reason it was costing so much in the first place???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the retractable roofm that it does have, only extends to cover the seating. Wouldn't want to get the suits wet.

Was a retractable roof not the reason it was costing so much in the first place???

The reason it cost so much is that they also rebuilt a tube station and a rail station, as well as building the biggest football stadium in the world (In terms of overall size, not capacity). You need to see Wembley to appreciate how big the thing is.

It also has worl class media facilities, hospitality facilities etc but, primarily, it was built by a bunch of morons so the cost got out of control.:rolleyes:

For example, the forst plans included a Hotel, despite the fact Brent council had told them that under no circumstances should it have a hotel, that added a fortune. Then they designed it, issued planning permission and someone pointed out that one end of the arch was in someone elses property, so they had to re-design it and re-issue the designs etc.

I tell ya, Landsdowne will be professionally done compared to Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

kearnsr wrote: »
    That match was about 4/5 weeks ago and you could still see the pitch markings. Looks like they did no work on the pitch at all inbetween

three and a half weeks ago

the weather didnt help either, but no excuse, it should be in better condition.

they shouldnt really be having NFL games during england games though, what was wrong with waiting until around now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

event wrote: »
    three and a half weeks ago

the weather didnt help either, but no excuse, it should be in better condition.

they shouldnt really be having NFL games during england games though, what was wrong with waiting until around now?

Well obviously the NFL had an idea of when the wanted the game played. Its coming into the holiday season now with Thanksgiving and Christmas so maybe the clubs didn't want to force their players to have to travel for a week to try promote the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

event wrote: »

I don't think it was up to the people that run Wembley to decide when the NFL game could be played outside of North America.

aye, what i meant was that they should surely put the england team ahead fo an NFL game

i know it isnt up to them, but when negotiations were taking place and october was mentioned, they could have said no, cant happen until after englands last game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

But they also could have said "We desperately need the money to pay for the place."

yeah, but how much have the lost now that they havent qualified

not that the pitch was directly responsible, but it just seems silly that FA's put money before the countrys performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

jameshayes wrote: »
    It was a disgrace considering they were giving out about the russian pitch!

They should have got some of the pitch-caretakers help from the US, tips and info... i'm sure the damage control is different for AF

not many real grass pitches in the nfl, i think they're all synthetic now.

Advertisement