Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

02 Charges

• 22-11-2007 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Got myself a k800i and since bebo is 'free' til 30th November said I would check it out.

Basically was on it for 2 mins and it ate my credit.

Then as a tester I checked my credit, then clicked o2 active (i think) and it brought me to o2's site. I didnt go on anything then I exited the browser. Checked credit again and 22 cent is wasted. But it says 1c per kb. a kb must be one tenth of a webpage so......

Pissed off tbh with o2 as with 3 you get msn messenger for free. Is this still the case with o2 as I cant find it. Also if i was to get o2 msn messenger, would i be charged. Shoulda payed the extra hundred for k800i on three as o2 charges are just a disgraced.

a disappointed user

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If you're looking for good data rates, you should not be with o2. They are stuck somewhere in 1998 , and the fear of bankruptcy should hover over you every time you open a browser on your phone as an o2 user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you don't like the rates then leave the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

ciaranfo wrote: »
    If you don't like the rates then leave the network.

Why do you think clicking on a page should cost 50 cent ???

Nobody is happy with the rates ... how could they be ?

You must work for o2 lol

yeah-boy wrote: »
    Why do you think clicking on a page should cost 50 cent ???

Nobody is happy with the rates ... how could they be ?

You must work for o2 lol
    If I worked for O2 why would I suggest you leave the network?

I'm not happy with the rates, I'm just fed up hearing people come on here and act shocked that data costs so much.

Read the costs before you use a service - all the costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

oh yeah o2 rates are bit on the high side and they only had messenger free till july of last year i think and was 10cent per msg after that oh wait it was 6cent per msg but 3network's free messenger took any good out of that!

• Advertisement

I have just logged into my account. I forgot to lock my keypad and wasted €10.79 by leaving the o2 active page on for 13 mins.

THIS IS FUC*KIN ROBBERY! with 3 you can browse the site for free and then it informs you if you are going into a pay as you browse site.

o2 ARE **** !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

As already said above if o2 are ****e then just leave - there are 4 other networks to chose from

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dude, if you want cheap data rates, don't use O2. This aint rocket science. O2 are really geared towards the older user/ business user. They have been slow on themark with data charges.

The trade off for using 3 and getting their good rats is their customer care suffers, as you know. You cant have everything for nothing! :)

You won't be charged €10.79 for leaving a webpage load for x mins. You'll only be charged if you browse more pages after ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

O2's data pricing has always been slightly looney and for the meantime I recommend staying away from them if datas what you intend using. Having said that i got a customer in a similar position to yourself a substantial amount refunded but it was more to do with the phone set up as oppossed to browsing. Have a word with customer care, be polite and you may get some kind of refund if you were unaware of charges.

If not its tough luck

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote: »
    You won't be charged €10.79 for leaving a webpage load for x mins. You'll only be charged if you browse more pages after ..

Well I went into my recent history and it said from 15.05- 15-19 I was charged 10.79 ! I looked in my pocket and o2 Active homepage was up on it.

Do you want me to take a screenshot of my account to prove ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

to the OP, i understand your frustration and anger but i don't see the point why u need to "scream" here... ring customer service and shout at them (no, talk nicely)... :D

Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well Bebo seem to be going down the line of exclusive deals with operators, so you won't be able to access them from anywhere else other than O2 with its insane data rates.

Facebook's accessible from any network and has a nice interface on mobile. Try m.facebook.com on your handset, works from 3, Meteor, Vodafone, Tesco Mobile, or O2 (if you have deep pockets)

It seems to me that O2 are just coining in the data charges on business accounts as many account managers haven't quite woken up and smelt the coffee when it comes to realistic data charges. They may get a big shock when large corporate contracts start to move over to flat rate data plans. I know a few business users who have had INSANE bills from O2 for email access...

If they're relying on inertia as a marketing tool, they'll soon find that much like their UK counterpart they'll slip from no. 2 operator to no. 3, and no. 4....

Wake up O2! Flashy ads and fancy bubbles aren't everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Solair wrote: »
    Well Bebo seem to be going down the line of exclusive deals with operators, so you won't be able to access them from anywhere else other than O2 with its insane data rates.

Is this right?? If I am a voda / meteor / 3 custoemr will I be barred from accessing Bebo from my phone just because they have done a deal with O2?

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yup, unfortunately that seems to be the business model Bebo prefers! They've exclusive marketing deals with O2 Ireland, Orange UK etc..

That being said, m.bebo.com seems to work from Meteor too!
    However, the extras don't work e.g. SMS alerts etc etc

From what I've read etc, it does look like Bebo are aiming towards totally exclusive deals, revenue sharing etc with operators...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I have just logged into my account. I forgot to lock my keypad and wasted €10.79 by leaving the o2 active page on for 13 mins.

o2's data is charged by the kilobyte, not the second. if you open one page and leave it, you are charged for the number of kilobytes on that page and not charged again until you change the page
    Well I went into my recent history and it said from 15.05- 15-19 I was charged 10.79 ! I looked in my pocket and o2 Active homepage was up on it.

yes i do because someone has made a mistake here, either you or o2's billing department
    THIS IS FUC*KIN ROBBERY! with 3 you can browse the site for free and then it informs you if you are going into a pay as you browse site.

o2 ARE **** !!!!!
    robbery is when someone steals from you. in this case, you have signed a contract agreeing to pay these prices if you use the service. if you then use the service and are charged the agreed amount, then it is not robbery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

mart_max wrote: »
    to the OP, i understand your frustration and anger but i don't see the point why u need to "scream" here... ring customer service and shout at them (no, talk nicely)... :D

Marty

May I suggest using a bit of software like opera mini to view bebo instead? It gives you the full thing at compressed rates and means you don't get a stripped down service that you have to pay for.

May I repeat my suggestion that you call o2 and speak with them in a calm and rational manner. As I stated previously I got a substantial refund for a customer over data charges. Due to me working in a phone shop i cannot disclose full details of what happened but refunds have been gotten before, particularly if its a first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Iamhere

Msn is still free on o2, its free until the end of jan, msn only on i mode tho, got a text for them this week about o2 active and i mode merging soon unsure if msn will be available to all then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

1kb is a *tiny* amount of information on the web these days; a single webpage can easily top 512kb, and over a megabyte is not unheard of (yes, loading a _single_ web page on o2 can cost you €5-10, this is not a typo.)

It is absurd and they are stuck in the 90s, I completely agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you dont get charged for opening the o2 active homepage, and data isnt calculated by how long you have the page open its how much data you're using,you can leave that open all day and it wouldnt cost you any more, so no you werent charged 10.79 for opening the homepage

• Advertisement

You are charged for loading www.o2.ie on a mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

foggy_lad wrote: »
    oh yeah o2 rates are bit on the high side and they only had messenger free till july of last year i think and was 10cent per msg after that oh wait it was 6cent per msg but 3network's free messenger took any good out of that!

Its free till Jan next year - was never charged per message either i would think it will be on wap after imode is banished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yes it was originally charged at 6cent per message but they must have decided to keep giving it free after 3 offered it free to their customers!

Basically Im being made out to be a liar as when I click o2 Active im charged 13 cent when its meant to be free ? Rang o2 who said they will get back to me as it takes an hour for my account details to access. That was 12pm today...............................................................

But they told me on the phone that it is free and reading posts here people too have said its meant to be free ... anyone with a sek800i ... could they please tell me the correct internet settings. on my connectivity settings my internet profile is O2 Active.
    I ave also 02 wap and 02 MMS to choose from.Also got a folder for java profiles with same 3 options ....

Woman on phone gave me impression I downloaded something ... even had cheek to say did you leave phone lying round the house ....

Sent off a nasty email......€25 in total has been taken from my account as I have left o2 Active open for 6 mins as it activated from inside my pocket.

/fedup

Date-Time Number called Duration/
    Volume Type Cost Status
    22/11/2007 01:41:54 SMS €0.00 Successful
    22/11/2007 09:42:05 Data €0.18 Successful
    22/11/2007 09:42:25 Data €0.00 Successful
    22/11/2007 09:45:06 Data €0.16 Successful
    22/11/2007 09:45:34 Data €0.16 Successful
    22/11/2007 09:47:11 Data €0.00 Successful
    22/11/2007 12:07:30 Data €0.52 Successful
    22/11/2007 14:00:30 086xxxxxxx 00:00:01 Voice €0.01 Successful
    22/11/2007 14:01:44 086xxxxxxx 00:01:18 Voice €0.72 Successful
    22/11/2007 15:05:08 Data €10.79 Successful
    22/11/2007 15:19:30 Data €0.04 Successful
    22/11/2007 17:22:36 00:00:00 Voice €0.00 Unsuccessful
    22/11/2007 17:22:42 00:00:10 Voice €0.11 Successful
    22/11/2007 17:47:45 Data €0.16 Successful
    22/11/2007 18:25:34 00:00:00 Voice €0.00 Unsuccessful
    22/11/2007 18:26:05 00:01:18 Voice €0.20 Successful
    22/11/2007 19:18:46 00:00:00 Voice €0.00 Unsuccessful
    22/11/2007 19:20:14 00:00:12 Voice €0.04 Successful
    22/11/2007 19:30:46 00:00:00 Voice €0.00 Unsuccessful
    22/11/2007 19:34:00 00:01:11 Voice €0.22 Successful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭corkie

If your on speakeasy, then you should have been aware of their charges when you got the phone!

if your on pay monthly you can request data bundles.

47870.jpg

i have been on an old plan 1 megabyte of Mobile Web usage
    7.50 euro per month (incl. vat)

handy for quick checks of e-mail or for short browsing of news.

Contact O2 customer service and they should set you up with the right price plan for your usage.

Recently, they contact me and advised that i downgrade from active life 250 to 150 as i wasn't using all my call credit.

Regards,
    John

P.S. I don't work for O2, just a customer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭corkie

I ave also 02 wap and 02 MMS to choose from.Also got a folder for java profiles with same 3 options ....

no wonder your being charged these prices if your using WAP
    (15c per min incl. vat), your being charged to keep the connection up as your browse the pages.

Use GPRS(3G is available on the sek800i) for browsing and then you only get charged by the MB!

see the manual
    to get the correct settings or ask O2 to flash your phone.

alternative visit
    se support site fill in the details and they will send the correct settings to your phone

Regards,
    John.

P.S. thinking of upgrading my k750i to that phone so what do you think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

no one's denying that you were charged 10.79, we're saying that you weren't charged it for opening the home page.

@corkie, where are you getting that information? There is a really old version of wap called dial up wap that was charged by the minute but the only phone to use it in the past 3 years is the 1101.

look at the settings sticky at the top of the forum. You'll see different settings for dial up wap and gprs wap.

• Advertisement

Advertisement