Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone using Maxol's E5?

Options
  • 22-11-2007 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Not the E85 which is full-on biofuel. E5 is 5% bioethanol & can be used in any modern petrol engine without any modifications. Lower calorific value but higher octane rating.
    Anyone tried? How has fuel consumption and power been effected. I couldn't give a rats ass for the environment but if I can have more go from my go-go juice I'll try it.

I just want you to be my guinea pigs first!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

There was another thread on this recently...
    I tried one tank in my GTI. Didn't notice any difference in either power or economy! Maybe takes a couple of tankfulls to make a noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

I just finished a tankful, car (3.2l) did seem a fair bit more responsive and the first time since owning it that I got 2 weeks from a tank (although I didn't do much driving), now I went up last night to fill her up again and reset all the trip computers to do it a bit more scientifically but at 6p a litre more expensive than Texaco with teckron or whatever and putting in 80 odd litres I said ermmm NO, with the money I'd save a year I'd buy a shedload of trees and that would help with my carbon guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think the consensus is that it will only give you more power if your recommended fuel is 98 octane.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Just finished a tank. My car is mapped to 98Ron and it definately felt more responsive and smoother. Fuel economy suffered slightly - got 375 miles from that tank and have been getting just over 400 from standard fuel.

Advertisement