Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got Stung Big Time @ The Garage help?

Options
  • 22-11-2007 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

My exhaust system went day before yesterday on my way to work so there happened to be a garage on the way.

Called in and he said your cat has went, unfourtunatly its the most expensive part of the exhaust system to go and its going to be a special order, but i had a look under the car and i could clearly see a universial cat would do the trick.

so i argued this point and he said ok fair enough we will put in a universal cat and also replace the mid box for you for 290 euros... instead of 300 for the special order cat.

picked the car up that afternoon when i got home i had a look under the car with a torch, clearly can see the new mid box, piping and clip as they are shiney new, but the CAT is old and discoloured!

brought the car into him this morning and he said oh they are sprayed with aluminum paint it burns off thats why it looks old...??? is this true i think ive been stung, it seems theve just welded the old one back on with new bit of piping....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Need to see a pic, tbh. It is true that the cat can become discoloured very quickly due to the massive amount of heat build up. Usually it will be of similar appearance to oil on a wet road - if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

i was only driving the car for less than 20 mins? ill see can i get a pic on my phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If its new it will feel smooth, and not scaley and flakey !

Presumably you got a receipt, is there a part number for the CAT and is there any warranty implied ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

If the garage bought a new cat he should have some sort of receipt to show where and when he bought it. Maybe you can ask him to show you that? If he has no receipts it could be dodgy.

Edit: MercMad beat me to it!

Advertisement