Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are manangers let go to easily

• 22-11-2007 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

After Steve McLaren being sacked last night I wonder are managers being let go to easily these days. Ok so if England had only drawn last night and qualified SML would still have a job, therefore Scott Carson could be held to blame for the manager loosing his job, if you break it down.

Now I dont want to dig up the old Brian Kerr debate, but similarly a couple of bad results and a man looses his job, seems to me that clubs and national teams are searching for the Missiah, and unsettlement around getting the right man for the job is not, good for game.

Nobody has a devine right to qualify for any tournament anymore, the standard of football amongst the one time minnows of football is getting higher, and we are seeing more 'shock' results all the time. Which in all honesty arent shocks at all. We view smaller teams, on results they may have had in the 80's or 90's.

England expected to win lasty night, against a team that got 3rd in the 1998 world cup and finished top of the group. Croatia IMO played very well last night and deservedly got 3 points.

Unless managers are given time to make a team their own, build a team the way they want it, football will suffer in the long term, how long was fergusion given to get it right at united??

***NOTE: Stan if your reading this it doesnt apply to you, you cant manage!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

dbnavan wrote: »
    After Steve McLaren being sacked last night I wonder are managers being let go to easily these days. Ok so if England had only drawn last night and qualified SML would still have a job, therefore Scott Carson could be held to blame for the manager loosing his job, if you break it down.

Now I dont want to dig up the old Brian Kerr debate, but similarly a couple of bad results and a man looses his job, seems to me that clubs and national teams are searching for the Missiah, and unsettlement around getting the right man for the job is not, good for game.

Nobody has a devine right to qualify for any tournament anymore, the standard of football amongst the one time minnows of football is getting higher, and we are seeing more 'shock' results all the time. Which in all honesty arent shocks at all. We view smaller teams, on results they may have had in the 80's or 90's.

England expected to win lasty night, against a team that got 3rd in the 1998 world cup and finished top of the group. Croatia IMO played very well last night and deservedly got 3 points.

Unless managers are given time to make a team their own, build a team the way they want it, football will suffer in the long term, how long was fergusion given to get it right at united??

***NOTE: Stan if your reading this it doesnt apply to you, you cant manage!

I think they are let go too easily BUT England have played pretty badly throughout the entire set of qualifiers. With the squad they have they should be qualifying no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

McClaren was sacked because the team went backwards in terms of performance, results. So I dont think he was sacked too easily, it would have even taken a very good performance in the Euros (semi's or better) for him to keep his job afterwards.

Secondly International managers should not be given four year contracts, Stan, Eddie O'Sullivan, and Steve McClaren have been the recent proof of this. An international managers contract should be based on each campaign.

Yes sometimes managers are sacked too quickly but he had a full campaign to show he could do the job and it was plain he couldn't. This goes for both Stan and Steve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I dont think international managers are let go too easily. At club level when a manager is under pressure he is usually given five or six games to turn things around and this doesn't really have a huge effect on the clubs season. But in international management you dont have this luxury because half the campaign would be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

agree with the above, international management is different in that one campaign in 2 years and is platy of time to settle in.

Club managers need more time due to the pace at which club football moves, but as said above, giving a 4 year contract to an international manager is a joke

i just think its funny that the english fans think they'll get Jose or Scolari, when with the state they're in now they'd be lucky to get Paul Jewell

i just think its funny that the english fans think they'll get Jose or Scolari, when with the state they're in now they'd be lucky to get Paul Jewell

True, they do think that because they are England that they are automatically entitled to the best managers in the world. When apart from Sven they haven't managed to attract a top class one in years. Hoddle, Keegan, McClaren were all bad managers doing a mediocre job at mediocre clubs before they were offered the England job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Nonsense

It's a very well paid job, and they do have a great selection of players to choose from. Easy money for any manager that has an excellent record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Other threads discussing next england manager etc, keep this one on topic please.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Nonsense

It's a very well paid job, and they do have a great selection of players to choose from. Easy money for any manager that has an excellent record.

Then why has the only top class manager they have been able to attract recently is Sven. Then when they go to replace him the only top class managers they could attract was Scolari and O'Neill. Its because top class managers dont need the money and aren't attracted by the "easy money".

As has been said very few managers come out with their credibilty intact, even Sven came out looking bad. The English job is one of the most high pressure jobs and stressful out there due to the fans demanding they reach semi finals or more, and the media demanding the same while also turning on you and ripping apart your personal life in the process.

Sorry just seen the warning will not go off topic again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dbnavan wrote: »
    therefore Scott Carson could be held to blame for the manager loosing his job, if you break it down.
    !

How can you hold players accountable, especially at international level where they cant just be replaced a such. Do you hold the defenders to blame as well over the crappy ofside play for the 2nd. What about not closing down for the 3rd? (or the 1st for that matter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

dbnavan, we'll do the modding thanks all the same.

• Advertisement

psi wrote: »
    dbnavan, we'll do the modding thanks all the same.

I think he was unhappy about his thread being hijacked.

Advertisement