Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - NTL Charge

Options
  • 22-11-2007 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum, but mods please feel free to move. Moving into a newly built house - on a side garden site - and rang NTL for connection. They want to charge me €293 as a one off charge for connecting it up ie hooking it up from the original house, does this sound right? I thought it was a bit expensive, and have never heard of anyone having to pay this before??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mel123 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but mods please feel free to move. Moving into a newly built house - on a side garden site - and rang NTL for connection. They want to charge me €293 as a one off charge for connecting it up ie hooking it up from the original house, does this sound right? I thought it was a bit expensive, and have never heard of anyone having to pay this before??

Brother paid about 220 for an NTL connection 2 years ago- so its possible, though very expensive. Ask for a breakdown of what this charge contains, and see if you can get a few months free service (which they seem to be handing out to anyone who complains like candy these days).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I'm sure I paid only €100 installation for a new connection this time last year. It was explained as two digiboxes boxes x €50.

NTL are ropey at the best of times, I'd consider getting Sky if possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

You have to be very specific how you phrase new connections from NTL.

I rang up once to ask for a new connection, the broadband was going to be 50 a month, then there were connection fees etc.... then I went on to their website, saw their latest offer ( whatever it was) and phoned up and said 'I would like to avail of this..' without mentioning 'new connection'.

Worked out at about a third of what I was originally quoted, and there was no connection fee. Turns out of you don't mention the offers on the phone, they'll hit you with the full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bugler wrote: »
    I'm sure I paid only €100 installation for a new connection this time last year. It was explained as two digiboxes boxes x €50.

NTL are ropey at the best of times, I'd consider getting Sky if possible.

your house was probably already cabled though - the OP is a new build and NTL will have to run a cable to the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

If you want to save yourself some severe mental anguish go with SKY. As well as being cheaper, there are more channels and vastly superior customer service. Don't just take my word for it, look at some of the threads and the satellite and cable and broadband forums. I wasted days waiting for the fkrs to show up and hours on hold trying to get my equipment working. Please just don't do it.
    If there's a rule against dishes on the house I've seen some non-obtrusive box-style ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Seems about right. Don't get this kind of thing mixed up with the normal installation fees.(for existing customers) This would be deemed as a "one off" connection to the local network in place. They'll extend the distribution line from the nearest tap to the new house and fit a tap on the new house. You won't be able to get a break down of the charges,if you do take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

Well i have had NTL before, and perhaps i was just lucky, but they were very good...came out when they were meant to, fixed any problems etc, so thats why i was going with them again.
    I rang them again today to ask about the charge, and they basically just said it was labour for engineers as it will take a few hours, and cost for the actual cable also!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

***IMPORTANT***
    I'm sure you know this already, mel123, but if you goto http://www.upc.ie/deals/newcustomer you can connected for free...

Digital TV and Broadband, for example: € 9.99 a month for the first 6 months plus FREE connection. € 45.98 a month thereafter for both services.

Or for just analogue TV: € 9.99 a month for the first 3 months and FREE connection. € 21.49 a month thereafter.

Check the site out for more "free connection" offers. Are get scammed for not looking:D

Advertisement