Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lights

Options
  • 22-11-2007 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

just a quick question

I have wee lights in my ceiling... as do most people :) there the ones that you can turn up and down... they are flush with the ceiling... I see two wee clasps on them... am i right if i twiddle with these i will be able to determine what type/number of a bulb it is as i want to get energy efficient ones to replace them

many thanks paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm guessing that these are GU10 or similar downlighters.
    To remove the bulb, twist the glass anti-clockwise for a 1/4 turn and then withdraw the bulb from the mount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

And I'm guessing that by "turn up and down" you mean they are on dimmer switches. If that's the case I don't think you can simply swap them for energy efficient bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

I suppose you can if you use LED GU10's

There kinda expensive at the mo but I recon the price will come down...

Question: Can you use a dimmer on GU10's???????

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I recently bought GU10 CFL 7W bulbs...but there not recommended to be used with a dimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

garyh3 wrote: »
    I suppose you can if you use LED GU10's

There kinda expensive at the mo but I recon the price will come down...

Question: Can you use a dimmer on GU10's???????

Garyh3

No, they don't dim either!
    http://www.dotlight.de/shop/product_info.php/cPath/203_212_283/products_id/1200
    "This LED Spot is NOT dimmable. Damages caused by misuse are irreplaceable by dotlight GbR! "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that these are GU10 or similar downlighters.
    To remove the bulb, twist the glass anti-clockwise for a 1/4 turn and then withdraw the bulb from the mount.

Dont go near it for at least 20 mins if its been on, they get stupid hot and you will get a serious burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

The voice of experience, eh ;)

If you make this mistake once you'll not make it again.

Advertisement