Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call to Boycot Japanese products over whaling.

Options
  • 22-11-2007 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

Just seen this on breaking news. Do you think this is a valid reaction, and if so, would you support it? Do you think it would even make one iota of a difference?
    I hate the idea of whales being slaughtered, but I'm not sure if boycotting Japanese products would even be a realistic possibility. Do you think we'd all give up our Sony and Nintendos and the like over Christmas because of an issue like this? I doubt it, and I'd imagine its more just the Sea Life Centre issuing a statement that can portray their anger in a way that gets into the media. I doubt anything will happen, but it is sad to see the Irish government remaining silent on the matter.
    Do you think the excuse of "scientific research" is feasible, or just a poor cover to continue whaling?
    BOOOO to Japanese whaling ships.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhqlojauql/

Irish consumers should boycott Japanese goods in protest at its whale hunting expeditions, Ireland's National Sea Life Centre said today.

It is also calling for people to petition the Japanese Embassy in Dublin to register their anger at the action.

Despite a ban on commercial whaling, Japan launched its four month Antarctica hunting expedition on Sunday claiming the mission was for scientific research.

It argues the numbers to be slaughtered are too small to make an impact on the whale population.

But Pat O'Suilleabhain, manager of the National Sea Life Centre in Bray, said: "Japan uses a loophole in the charter of the International Whaling Commission to carry on whaling for so-called 'scientific' purposes.

"The Japanese government ignores all diplomatic lobbying to stop this butchery, even though polls suggest that even the majority of Japanese people are against it.

"If we register our outrage in a way that threatens their economy, we believe the voice of the international community will have more impact.

"When you consider the number of Japanese electrical products, mobile phones, computer games and other such items that help fill Christmas stockings, this protest could really make an impact," he said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

eh, no !

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭heirenach

Sorry missed your thread earlier.I agree with you.Do you know the japanese are slaughering thousands of dolphins every month.Greenpeace and austrailan marine are trying to stop them.We should try and canvas the fishkeepers on this forum.Alot of fish foods,koi ,marine and tropical come from japan.Dolphins and whales should be put on protected species list.

Advertisement