Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 Games to Look Forward to in 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

crap, had 2 boards windows open, can a mod move this to the games forum. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hee hee, I wondered what this thread was doing in Tweaking & Modding :)

Some very cool games on that list. Looking forward to see what Spore turns out like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

moving it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Jesus, and there was me thinking that 2007 was an awesome year to be a gamer!:)
    They also missed out on God of War for the PSP - pretty much the sole reason I haven't sold mine yet...

Far Cry 2 looks really good. If they can keep it like the first few levels of Crysis then it should be amazing. Surprisingly, Crytek is not involved with this title at all, and its going to be run on the Dunia engine? Never even heard of it before

EDIT: Developers blog video on the Farcry 2 engine

http://blog.ubi.com/farcry2/article.php?content_id=6350&content_title=Introduction%20to%20the%20game%20engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The videos for Far Cry 2 are fairly impressive. It seems to be more like Stalker than Far Cry. I read in one preview about how one guy play testing it was talking to a fellow mercenary that he had helped. He went off on a mission and was heavily outnumbered and about to have his ass handed to him, when this other mercenary, who had heard the fighting, came along to help out. Pretty cool stuff, if it works out like this.

Also really excited about Star Wars: Force Unleashed. The game engine for that looks amazing, as does the trailers so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, some of the stuff in Far Cry 2 sounds great. Love the idea that the AI has three basic needs...food, water and shelter. They actively seek out these during the course of the day. Also, the flame effects are frikin amazing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Holy sequel overload, Batman. It seems games designers are even LESS imaginative than their hollywood brethren.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Luckily, games can be improved. Hollywood has no intention of making sequels any better than the original (or even making them any good at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Ì've been looking forward to the New ww2 Combat sim from the makers of IL2
    Battle of Britain Storm or War...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Isn't Resident Evil 5 due in 09?

But anyway, yes Spore *drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

1. GTA 4
    2. Burnout Paradise

That's all that's on my radar for 2008 at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ninja Gaiden 2 and Resi 5 on that list for me. Although odds are I'll have a PS3 by the time Metal Gear 4 and FFXIII come out, so 2008 could be good alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

No smash brothers on that it list ??? The list fails so.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Ninja Gaiden 2 and Resi 5 on that list for me

Agreed.

Ah Ninja Gaiden, a game that will scoff at your inflated sense of gaming skill and punish you time after time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Only 4 games I'm actually looking forward to on there :/

Hopefully some will supprise when they come out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I dunno I must be the only person on the planet that thinks Spore sounds totally crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ninja Gaiden 2 looks very disappointing. Devil May Cry 4 looks a whole lot better.

Screw FFXIII. FFXII was really dull, Lost Odyssey lots like the jrpg to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

devil may cry 4 and monster hunter 2G for 2008.!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The Farcry AI stuff worries me. It really didn't work well in Oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does anyone else find it weird that only one of the games in the list will be available on the wii?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Holy sequel overload, Batman. It seems games designers are even LESS imaginative than their hollywood brethren.

Sequels are generally the only games that get hyped because new things are unknown quantities, unless they're being heavily pushed by console manufacturers like Little Big Planet and Alan Wake.

Nobody was talking about, say, Portal or Uncharted this time last year but they're certainly two of the best games of the year.

I have no doubt that a year from now we'll be talking about games that aren't on that list too.

Still a pretty strong list though as it is. Fallout 3, MGS 3, Dragon Age, Final Fantasy XIII, Little Big Planet, GTA IV and Spore would be my must buys from that list.

steviec wrote: »
    Sequels are generally the only games that get hyped because new things are unknown quantities, unless they're being heavily pushed by console manufacturers like Little Big Planet and Alan Wake.

WTF??? eh... project offset? It's one of the games i'm most looking forward to although I don't think we'll see it till 2009 so i'm not getting worked up about it now. They are really slow releasing info on it which is why its generating a lot of underground hype on the forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

WFT is the story with Burnout games

Is there something i am seriously missing about them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

There will be a lot of sequels in 2008.

Fallout has the looks of something great. Gears of War 2? We can only hope. Star Wars' lightsabres on the Wii would be a big system seller - every little boys dream come true! Fingers crossed Army of Two can deliver.

Anyone else underwhelmed by Halo Wars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ninja Gaiden 2 looks very disappointing. Devil May Cry 4 looks a whole lot better.

Screw FFXIII. FFXII was really dull, Lost Odyssey lots like the jrpg to watch.

Ninja gaiden 2 is disspointing?i was looking forward for it though,heard 1 was really good!

my list:
    never a big fan of any FPS(except COD series:)),so wont bother any of them on the list...

1.MGS4!delay to summer means i will have more time to buy a ps3,it will be cheaper as well!due today,it is the only game that i want ps3 simply for it!
    NB:why on earth do they included splinter cell and MGS in the same list....

2.Halo releasing a STR game?emm..i am interested...

3.Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
    anyone tell me what is this about?no PC platform?:mad:i love playingstarwars game on PC...
    Quote:
    And how about that Wii version? Could it be the fabled lightsaber emulator we've been yearning for since the system was first announced? Come on Lucasarts, you know it makes sense.
    Nice!

4.Spore:D

5.Fallout...ahye...good old times...see hows it going this time...

doubt RE5 will come out on 2008 btw:cool:

overall,the list has nothing to surprise tho...
    tuxy wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it weird that only one of the games in the list will be available on the wii?

wasnt realise that!tbh,we have no nintendo news on next year eh?zelda,mario are gone,i am abit worry about the wii now...1 brawl fighting is obviously not enough...maybe they are spending most of their time on counting money now?hope not...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

seraphimvc wrote: »
    Ninja gaiden 2 is disspointing?i was looking forward for it though,heard 1 was really good!

Ninja Gaiden 1 was indeed a masterpiece. The videos of Ninja Gaiden 2 just look a bit ordinary. There's just nothing special about it other than the over the top gore and looks boring compared to the original. Compare that to the awesome videos of Devil May Cry 4 on xbox live. It looks like the far more attractive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ninja Gaiden 1 was indeed a masterpiece. The videos of Ninja Gaiden 2 just look a bit ordinary. There's just nothing special about it other than the over the top gore and looks boring compared to the original. Compare that to the awesome videos of Devil May Cry 4 on xbox live. It looks like the far more attractive game.

ah,the preview is out?better check it out...

sorta get what you mean...just like God of war 2 dissapointed me...was really looking something more...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

MGS4 will make me buy a PS3. Damn you sony!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Xbox 360

Splinter Cell Conviction
    Grand Theft Auto 4
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (not so sure about this but would like a good star wars game)

PC

Left 4 Dead
    Far Cry 2 (........maybe.......)

PS3

Gran Turismo 5 (if it's out in 2008.....will also mean I've to buy a PS3)

Advertisement