Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1995 maths leaving cert paper 2

Options
  • 22-11-2007 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

just doing the questions and want to check some of my work any idea where i can get the answers off this cant find a website that goes back to 1995 there no e-xamit code with it either

the question is on co-ordinate geometry,paper 2 qs 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

The answers are at the back of the EDCO exam papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭alic

i know but i need how they are done it doesnt tell how the question is done in the back its only one question anyway

part c:

c(1,6) and d(-3,-1) are two points. The point r has coordinates (2,y) such that |cd| = |cr|

Find the two possible vales of y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

c(1,6) and d(-3,-1) are two points. The point r has coordinates (2,y) such that |cd| = |cr|

Okay we need to use our distance formula for this.

What you do is find the distance from c to d using the distance formula.

Then, find the distance in terms of y from c to r using the distance formula.

Then let your first distance equal your second distance. Bring everything to one side and you've got a quadratic equation in terms of y, which you then solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

ryanairzer wrote: »

Okay we need to use our distance formula for this.

What you do is find the distance from c to d using the distance formula.

Then, find the distance in terms of y from c to r using the distance formula.

Then let your first distance equal your second distance. Bring everything to one side and you've got a quadratic equation in terms of y, which you then solve.

yeh
    *=root

*65=*y^2-4y+5.................these are results for after doing distance formulae
    65=y^2-4y+5
    y^2-4y-60=0
    y=10 or y=-6
    y=-10 or y=6

that should be right, i trust you are able to do the distance formulae yourself

timmywex wrote: »
    yeh
    *=root

*65=*y^2-4y+5.................these are results for after doing distance formulae
    65=y^2-4y+5
    y^2-4y-60=0
    y=10 or y=-6
    y=-10 or y=6

that should be right, i trust you are able to do the distance formulae yourself

no the answer is 14 or - 2 but thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

|cd|=|cr|
    √(-3-1)^2+(-1-6)^2=√(2-1)^2+(y-6)^2
    16+49=1+y^2-12y+36
    65=y^2-12y+37
    y^2-12y-28=0
    (y+2)(y-14)=0
    y=-2, y=14

i dont understand where you got that 12y

but thanks been at me all day very annoying when your good at something then get a qs like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

(y - 6)^2
    (y- 6)(y - 6)
    y^2 - 6y - 6y + 36
    y^2 - 12y + 36

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

alic wrote: »
    no the answer is 14 or - 2 but thanks for the help

oh sorry, i took the wrong two points. :p

Advertisement