Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Cinema Anyone???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

The Riverbank cinema will presumably offer alternative films to those one is likely to see in the Whitewater- arthouse, foreign language, limited release etc. It will be nice to have a choice, although I've heard the facilities in Riverbank are generally poor. At least someone is trying......

Something like the Screen on D'Olier street in Dublin would be a good model for them. That is if they can get enough quirky (to remain different) and equally good movies to get the punters to pass over their money. That still leaves the need for a decent event organiser to advertise all the events and it's cinema model. The movies do not even have to be all new releases. Best one I saw in the screen years ago was about the life of insects. Cannot remember the name at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

I'm pretty excited for this new cinema to finally be built. I'm working in a shop in the centre for a year now and it'll be sweet to be able to go and see a movie there instead of going over to Storm Cinemas in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I hate Storm cinema in Naas and I definitely think the Whitewater could do with a cinema to give it a bit of a boost! I used to work in it and it was busy enough but I was there on a Thursday night a few weeks ago and the place was completely dead.

By far the worst thing about Storm in Naas is the pikeys. Most of them are the Newbridge crew so I figure they will hang out in the Whitewater cinema instead. The current security staff (a few there since it opened I think) in the Whitewater do a good job keeping most the scumbags out but they will have their hands full when the cinema opens. If they are ruthless it will be great for the cinema as it will attract the annoyed Storm customers instead of them treking up to Liffey Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hercules_100_98

The cinema is being run by the people behind Storm and UCI, which are both now owned by the Butler brothers, who are best known for Leisureplex and TGI Fridays.

The cinema will be Storm branded, so don't expect an operation like UCI. UCI's structure is still linked to its UK origins. Storm however, is much more of a cheap operation. They don't have a full projection dept, hence all the technical issues we've all seen in Naas.

There will be 6 screens with digital projection systems in most if not all.

As far as pikeys, they are an issue all cinemas struggle with.Don't expect much security, the major multiplexes hate paying for it so don't expect Storm to suprise you.

Basically, the cinema will stand or fall based on the quality of the staff they get in to run it. Storm Naas was run by a teenage general manager for a while who was clearly out of his depth. If they make the same mistake in Newbridge... well it'll be their own fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The cinema is being run by the people behind Storm and UCI, which are both now owned by the Butler brothers, who are best known for Leisureplex and TGI Fridays.

The cinema will be Storm branded, so don't expect an operation like UCI. UCI's structure is still linked to its UK origins. Storm however, is much more of a cheap operation. They don't have a full projection dept, hence all the technical issues we've all seen in Naas.

There will be 6 screens with digital projection systems in most if not all.

As far as pikeys, they are an issue all cinemas struggle with.Don't expect much security, the major multiplexes hate paying for it so don't expect Storm to suprise you.

Basically, the cinema will stand or fall based on the quality of the staff they get in to run it. Storm Naas was run by a teenage general manager for a while who was clearly out of his depth. If they make the same mistake in Newbridge... well it'll be their own fault.

Cinema will be Odeon. A new brand for EE to explore with. Your facts are rubbish. It's a temporary cinema with 1 "Giant Screen", 2 "Big Screens" and 3 "Small Screens". The site they are using for the cinema has to be vacated by 23rd of April 2012 to make way for the addition of an extension with possible access routes to a newer cinema expected to be opened before 3rd quarter 2012. The "new, new" cinema so to speak, has not had a final decision on it's ultimate site. This information is widely available to the public all you have to do is look at the planning permission records. The "new, new" cinema is expected to have 12 Screens and it's contract has not been finalized with the EE Group due to their "wait and see" policy on the temporary screen. Hopefully by then, it will be too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hercules_100_98

You are quoting planning permission records.... seriously. Take a moment to review the last 3 years or so of planning applications and you will see how serious this plan to vacate the unit is.
    Apart from everything, the construction industry is so screwed at the moment, you cannot actually believe they will undertake a massive expansion of a 3 year old center that has had nothing done to it since opening and has numerous empty units.
    The sudden motivation to complete the cinema stems from the fact that there will be a new shopping center in Naas before Christmas (or thereabouts). Whitewater need it to boost footfall in the face of competition.
    As for everything else I said, well the facts come from people within the industry, not the planning office.

I have to agree with hercules on this. What is stated in planning is nothing more than fantasy if we are to go on what has happened to date. Never believe a developer or a banker for that matter. All waffle. I will believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'm in a position to know these facts and it's not from planning permission records. It's from within WW itself. PP records were just an example to prove hercules_100_98 wrong. Because he is talking jive. We will see in the next month who is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Any idea when the cinema in Whitewater is actually opening. The article in the newspaper suggested it was only a matter of weeks ago and that was in mid-August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Heard should be open by the end of Autumn but with only 30 days to go now somehow doubt that.

Anyone got that feeling of here we go again !

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

It said in the Linster leader back i August that UCI was planing to open the cinema with a big release the only big release I can think of is Twlight : New Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hiring staff in the Whitewater now at information desk downstairs, says it will open in December now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Scrapps

Its opening the 18th December

• Registered Users Posts: 26 orlao

Haven't read this thread in a while and am very interested to read the 'insider' information. Where were you lot during the public campaign to force Sean Mulryan and his band of not so merry men to build the cinema?
    It looks as if the cinema will certainly open now as some of you seem to have very definite information.
    I agree the information in the planning permission files is all hogwash - there are simple untruths in some of it, whether that was malicious or came from an inept consultant is not really clear. Their basic arguments around the unviability of the current site were easily picked apart. The process of requesting FI by the Council, submitting that FI and then subsequent follow up is quite flawed from the general public's point of view. It's very hard to get real information - especially from a crew like Ballymore who did not engage with the community. Nothing has been said which has changed my views on the unviability of an 8 screen cinema in Newbridge like Dundrum - the numbers don't add up and we've totted them - including getting an opinion from one of the leading cinema consultants in the UK and Ireland.

As regards the future, I don't see how anyone can give a definite exit date for the cinema - surely it depends on how long it takes for the current surplus of commercial property to wash out of the system - there are many that will argue that will never happen. Who knows - maybe NAMA will foreclose on Sean Mulryan and the WW will be sold to another property developer who believes in community!
    See you in Storm in the Whitewater!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Newbridge-to-have-cinema-by.5813860.jp

Yep, mid-December seems to be the conventional wisdom!

Anyone know where one might apply for a job at said cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 orlao

I heard someone saying there were application forms for cinema jobs at reception in Whitewater.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

dceire wrote: »
    http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Newbridge-to-have-cinema-by.5813860.jp

Yep, mid-December seems to be the conventional wisdom!

Anyone know where one might apply for a job at said cinema?

To late i went up on Wed to get a form but the interviews were being held this week

GReat news that Newbridge is finally getting a cinema!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

I see GBK or Gourmet Burger Kitchen is due to open on the Avenue also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dattsbud

Yes GBK IS opening in Avenue and they are looking for staff..the cinema have finished taking on new staff, so drop in a cv for them instead!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Living in Portarlington i've been waiting for this !!!

I wonder will it by 3D ???

Defo going to see Avatar there........:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Whitewater Shopping Centre is delighted to announce the much anticipated opening of the state of the art cinema complex, opening on Thursday 17th December and operated by cinema giants UCI. The cinema is due to open during Christmas week and will include 3D projectors and the latest digital equipment.

http://www.whitewatersc.ie/dsp_newsdetail.cfm/nk/135

From the Whitewater site. May I be one of many to say, IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN' TIME!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

No sign of the amount of screens in it or details on the main screen.

It will be nice to have a 3d so local

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

From their site

UCI Cinema Complex opening 17th December with full state of the art digital and 3D technology and 6 screens.

twenty8 wrote: »
    From their site

UCI Cinema Complex opening 17th December with full state of the art digital and 3D technology and 6 screens.

Anyone know how you go about getting tickets for one of the first few nights. I'd love to get in to see it before christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

NEWBRIDGE got a seasonal economic boost in the past week with the announcement that the town’s long-awaited new cinema is to open on 16 December while discount retailers Lidl are opening a major new store in the town on the following day.

from here
    http://www.kildarenationalist.ie/

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

New Lidl? What's wrong with the one we have?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Scrapps wrote: »
    Its opening the 18th December
    delta36 wrote: »
    rameire wrote: »
    the town’s long-awaited new cinema is to open on 16 December

:rolleyes:

hmmmm

Advertisement