Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Cinema Anyone???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Wow i actually forgot about the toilets, a days treck away by camel and then so cold my fella refused to come out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

I have to disagree with some here. Went to the cinema on the 27th. Had a great experience. We went to see Avatar 3D. The seats were cosy, it is natural when you are sitting down for a solid two and a half hours to get uncomfortable sometimes. The cinema was packed for this film. It is only a new cinema folks so give it time to set in. I certainly won't be going to Liffey Valley anymore

richiek83 wrote: »
    I have to disagree with some here. Went to the cinema on the 27th. Had a great experience. We went to see Avatar 3D. The seats were cosy, it is natural when you are sitting down for a solid two and a half hours to get uncomfortable sometimes. The cinema was packed for this film. It is only a new cinema folks so give it time to set in. I certainly won't be going to Liffey Valley anymore

If you are new and can't get it right then offer a soft opening with discounts. It doesn't take much to announce a film is sold out or to have heating on in the toliets.

I never said a thing about the seats etc, it was the staff, how the place operated on the day and how there was no heat in the toilets.

If you can't get the basics right at opening then don't charge full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

My 2 cents.

Went to see avatar just before Christmas in screen 1 and alvin and the chipmunks in screen 6 soon after. Got normal seats in each(not the premium ones).

Credit card ticket machine knackered each time but easily solved by turning up in good time for the movie.

Seats are not very deep although leg room is excellent but I found them uncomfortable after 2 hours. Kids had no issues with them. The heating was too high and I had sweat rolling off me for each movie. A visit to the toilets solved that, they were freezing.

Drinks and food are too high in price but that can be said of all cinemas everywhere.

The screens in each case were very good and no sound issues at all. Very happy with each.

Staff are lovely if a little slow at the counter. My wife lost her phone at the chipmunks movie and they were smart enough to look through the phonebook and pick out her Mams number and ring to let her know they have the phone. I promise you will not get that level of honesty everywhere you go.

One problem is no ushers during screenings. 3 girls sat through avatar laughing on their phones. Nobody got up to them but a single usher would have been enough to shut them up or throw them out. This is the single biggest reason that Naas storm died for me and I never returned. If they are tough on this crap now it will set a standard and nobody will mess.

We always travelled to Liffey Valley and Dundrum before and have no reason to bother now. A good addition to the town.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I was in there yesterday.

The ticket collection machine is working again so thats good. And who ever said you have to buy sweets and tickets seperately is telling a blatant lie as I got both in one transaction. The lines were long but what do you expect when a 300 seat movie is starting. The staff were quick enough, not quite as fast as other cinemas but i'm sure this will improve with time.

The screen was a little bit too warm. I said it to one of the ushers when leaving and they couldn't have been nicer. They kept apologising and said that they are having trouble with the Air Con and it will be fixed soon. I presume its the same story with the bathrooms which were very cold.

Another thing i liked was the Ushers were checking the screens every 20mins or there abouts so no one was talking, much better than in
    Storm.

They are improving and I'd say in time it will be a great cinema.

• Advertisement

dannym08 wrote: »
    I was in there yesterday.

The ticket collection machine is working again so thats good. And who ever said you have to buy sweets and tickets seperately is telling a blatant lie as I got both in one transaction. The lines were long but what do you expect when a 300 seat movie is starting. The staff were quick enough, not quite as fast as other cinemas but i'm sure this will improve with time.

The screen was a little bit too warm. I said it to one of the ushers when leaving and they couldn't have been nicer. They kept apologising and said that they are having trouble with the Air Con and it will be fixed soon. I presume its the same story with the bathrooms which were very cold.

Another thing i liked was the Ushers were checking the screens every 20mins or there abouts so no one was talking, much better than in
    Storm.

They are improving and I'd say in time it will be a great cinema.

Danny i said what i saw on the day, don't just say it was a lie. The girl who served us was doing that with every customer.

I agree things can improve, but when you pay 40 quid to see a film with food you expect proper service, polite staff. Oh and a warm toilet;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

Damien360 wrote: »
    If they are tough on this crap now it will set a standard and nobody will mess.

Solid quote. That's what I think too.

I went to see Avatar 3D a week before Xmas. I can't complain. The screen was a decent size, and the sound was immense.

You're allowed to bring in your own food just as long as it isn't hot!

Danny i said what i saw on the day, don't just say it was a lie. The girl who served us was doing that with every customer.

I agree things can improve, but when you pay 40 quid to see a film with food you expect proper service, polite staff. Oh and a warm toilet;)

Sorry i probably could have phrased that better. I agree when u are paying that much you should have a good experience with decent staff etc. But as i said i'm sure as the staff get used to it, it will improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

I went in before Christmas. Went to see A Christmas Carol which frightened the bejesus out of my nephew and nieces!
    Found the staff lovely, guy at the counter gave me a student fare :). Seats were comfortable, screen and sound great. Food expensive, but to be expected.
    I'll be going back again because of the staff, all were very welcoming and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I went to see Avatar last night and was very happy with everything.

Was stuffy on occasion though,stocked up in M&S first on munchies which alot were half price :D made the difference to the high cost of the tickets at least!

Great movie,sets the standard i think,seats were snug screen/sound 100%,and staff were very polite,also good to see so many of them were young Irish folks too,just makes a change.

Still i can`t justify E10 or so more than a visit to Storm,except for an exclusive as Avatar.

Overall good experience,and don`t bother with the premier seats,no need.

Reminds me in Oz a certain cinema had a table service option with your own waiter,now thats pushing it :eek:.

• Advertisement

Gregsor wrote: »
    I went to see Avatar last night and was very happy with everything.

Was stuffy on occasion though,stocked up in M&S first on munchies which alot were half price :D made the difference to the high cost of the tickets at least!

Great movie,sets the standard i think,seats were snug screen/sound 100%,and staff were very polite,also good to see so many of them were young Irish folks too,just makes a change.

Still i can`t justify E10 or so more than a visit to Storm,except for an exclusive as Avatar.

Overall good experience,and don`t bother with the premier seats,no need.

Reminds me in Oz a certain cinema had a table service option with your own waiter,now thats pushing it :eek:.

the tickets are 2euro or so cheaper for movies that arent 3d tho so it prob wont work out much dearer than storm, although i think the food is a little bit dearer i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Wendel Woods

Just back from cinema. Screen itself was good, sound etc v good quality and lots of leg room in the seats. Was bit cold in there though!
    However, the queues for tickets/food were v long. We hadn't pre-booked tickets as decided at last minute to head over. Queued for about 15 mins to get tickets and popcorn. Not enough tills, especially at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Not enough tills, especially at peak times.

In fairness, it's the same in most cinemas. Cineworld still has really bad queues at peak times, as does Vue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Was there today with my Wife & Daughter. The Wife paid for the tickets so cannot comment on the cost. The cinema interior was top notch - very comfortable seats, loads of leg room, and staff friendly.

BUT, to charge €9 for a medium bag of popcorn and a small bottle of water is way out of order, and borders on extortion.

I sure will go again, but advise anyone going to either stuff Yourself before going, or buy drink & food away from the UCI shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

why did you buy it ??

The prices are listed - if you dont like it dont buy it - simple as

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Was there today with my Wife & Daughter. The Wife paid for the tickets so cannot comment on the cost. The cinema interior was top notch - very comfortable seats, loads of leg room, and staff friendly.

BUT, to charge €9 for a medium bag of popcorn and a small bottle of water is way out of order, and borders on extortion.

I sure will go again, but advise anyone going to either stuff Yourself before going, or buy drink & food away from the UCI shop.

send the cinema an email, if they get enough people complaining about the price they might change it, although dont expect to get too far, in fairness all cinemas are the same when it comes to food prices. A medium combo in newbridge is €8.50, same as Naas, Blanch, and near enough to the same for all the cinemas in dublin, so they are all at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Every cinema has extortionate prices; I go to a lot of cinema around Dublin and I dont think UCI in Newbridge are any worse than the rest of them. Sadly it goes part and parcel with cinema to pay €10 for €3 worth of Coke and popcorn...

I actually think UCI in Newbridge is one of the better cinemas around. Puts Storm to shame anyway. My only gripe is how painfully slow the counter staff are. On several occasions I have been in a queue for 10-15 minutes when there are only a couple of people ahead of me. Other than that I cant complain; the place is clean and well run.

djimi wrote: »
    My only gripe is how painfully slow the counter staff are. On several occasions I have been in a queue for 10-15 minutes when there are only a couple of people ahead of me.

yeah i've noticed this too, i suppose tho since your only queuing once and getting everything together it kinda balances itself out

It does and it doesnt. Liffey Valley have a similar system where you can buy tickets and food at the same counter and they are usually a lot faster. In Cineworld, although its seperate counters, you could probably be in a queue of 10 or more people, get upstairs to get food and still be quicker than queueing behind a couple of people in Newbridge!

I dont mean to rag on the place too much, Im sure theyll improve, and like I said the place is generally excellent apart from that.

muletide wrote: »
    why did you buy it ??

The prices are listed - if you dont like it dont buy it - simple as

Did I say I made the purchase? Actually, I didn't. I never saw the prices for the popcorn, and only discovered the water prices when I went to the fridge at the far end of the concourse.

As I said, I was impressed with the movie house, and 3D was amazing. They have a good thing going, just a pity the price of their food is offputting.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately as I said earlier theyre no different to any other cinema in this country; theyre all a shocking rip off when it comes to food.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

Newbridge cinema gets two big thumbs up from me. The place looks great, the staff are friendly, the seats are comfy and I've never had any film ruin by some knacks. Prices like in all cinemas are a little bit steep but apart from that it's A1.

I was back in yesterday and had a pleasant experience again.
    Nice staff,nice seating and aircon worked a treat for what was a muggy day.
    I got the premium seats for once and have to say don`t bother with them because there was no real difference in my eyes bar the price.
    Please do not support these rip off prices for the snack bars as they will keep doing business as usual until people stop buying their crazy priced food.
    Just hit the local supermarket and get the goodies there especially if it`s a family you are bringing,it will save you a fortune with no difference to the experience but a few extra Euro in your pocket and a feeling of not being mugged ;).

I have to say I noticed the difference with the premium seats. Im not a particularly big guy but I find the regular seats to be a little on the small side, whereas the premium seats are that bit more roomy. Im not sure its enough to justify paying the extra for tho.

Just over 6ft.3in myself and i can tell you after an hour it didn`t make any difference to me premium or standard,but yes there was probably a touch more space leg wise.
    Maybe it varies per screen room as i was not in the main one for the film and as i recall when i went to Avatar in the bigger screen room they did look more tempting and generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

djimi wrote: »
    I have to say I noticed the difference with the premium seats. Im not a particularly big guy but I find the regular seats to be a little on the small side, whereas the premium seats are that bit more roomy. Im not sure its enough to justify paying the extra for tho.
    Gregsor wrote: »
    Just over 6ft.3in myself and i can tell you after an hour it didn`t make any difference to me premium or standard,but yes there was probably a touch more space leg wise.
    Maybe it varies per screen room as i was not in the main one for the film and as i recall when i went to Avatar in the bigger screen room they did look more tempting and generous.

The leg room seems to be the same in each seat. It is the size of the seat for your ass that is differnet. The standard seats are not deep enough to be comfortable to 3 hours. But, I cannot justify the price difrerence to step up to the premium seats.

A note for anyone with small kids. Do not sit behind the premium seats. The child will not be able to sit and see the full screen. They need booster seats which are not supplied (Dundrum cinema provides these for free and they are great).

Personally I think the cinema is a great addition. Food prices are silly everywhere. Be wise and bring your munchies in with you instead of buying there. No complaints other than that.

Damien360 wrote: »
    The leg room seems to be the same in each seat.

A note for anyone with small kids. Do not sit behind the premium seats. The child will not be able to sit and see the full screen. They need booster seats which are not supplied (Dundrum cinema provides these for free and they are great).

As far as I know, there is extra leg room on the premiers, about an extra 10cm or so, I noticed the steps were longer at those rows.

And they do have booster seats, and they are free, ask for em next time, i saw people using em for Shrek the other day. Dont look particularly comfortable tho

dannym08 wrote: »
    As far as I know, there is extra leg room on the premiers, about an extra 10cm or so, I noticed the steps were longer at those rows.

And they do have booster seats, and they are free, ask for em next time, i saw people using em for Shrek the other day. Dont look particularly comfortable tho

I can also verify that they do have the booster seats, as my Daughter had to use one. The staff asked us if we needed one, and as I have said before, I cannot fault either the staff or the cinema.

Just their extortionate prices for their tuck food leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

UCI nachos with hot cheese and Jalapeno peppers come to Newbridge. You guys should rejoice!
    Fantastic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

i like the cinema the sound is perfect compared to the god awful storm sound but the seats arent that comfortable.i never got a dead arse in storm but always do in uci.you cant really use the prices of food and drink as a bad thing because even tho its a ripoff its the same across all cinemas

Advertisement