Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's noisy bird whistles driving us mad

Options
  • 22-11-2007 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Our new neighbours are keeping exotic birds as a hobby. We've no objection to that except they appear to be using imitation bird whistles to encourage the birds to sing. They make the most irritating, repetitive noises. One sound is a 'wolf-whistle' which they repeat over and over again until we almost 'lose the will to live'. We live in a quiet, country environment and enjoy listening to the local bird sounds but the hideous noises our neighbours make, forces us to go indoors on hot, sunny days and close all the windows. The most noise we make is perhaps mowing the lawn once a week in summer and that's it. We cannot believe they are unaware of the noise/bedlam they are creating. Are they just insensitive and ignorant people we wonder? The obvious thing to do would be to speak to them but since we complained about the 2.4 metre TV dish they stuck (illegally) next to our garden hedge (out of their sight but on full show our side) they have snubbed us. Could this be their way of getting back at us we wonder? Bird noises are not something you can easily complain to the authorities about as in the case of barking dogs, loud music etc. It's a tricky situation but every bit of a nuisance as the other noises. Has anyone out there had similar experiences to ours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

petunia wrote: »
    How can we get our own back?

This is the closest I can find for you. Not a noisy bird but noisy dogs. They are both still causing a noise nuisance albeit the dog might be a higher priority due to licensing etc.

I would approach the neighbours & let them know what a bother they are causing. See what their response is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

do you live beside me. I have a cockitiel and to make him whistle I wolf whistle. and as soon as my car pulls up out side the house he starts. But as a pet lover I love to here him whistle. so maybe your neigbour is unawhere of how it annoys you. I would speak to them to turn of the fake noises and explain how annoying it is.:D:D:D

Oh the dredded wolf whistle . I hate it , somebody did it to my African grey and he does it way too much now. Actually i have a ban on whistling to him as all he needs is to hear it once. I sing jingle bells to him tonight , he will be singing it by monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Just approach your neighbours in a nice friendly calm manner, comment on how nice the birds are etc and simply drop you never realised how load they can be, maybe try to come to any aggrement that suits both parties ie they use the whistle while ye'r at work or at a certain time in the day etc.

They propbably dont realise the noise or disruption their causing so dont rush in there with all fires blazing, be calm and talk about it untill an agreement is reached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 petunia

Oh the dredded wolf whistle . I hate it , somebody did it to my African grey and he does it way too much now. Actually i have a ban on whistling to him as all he needs is to hear it once. I sing jingle bells to him tonight , he will be singing it by monday.

How about Silent Night - mimed? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Could this be their way of getting back at us we wonder?

I think thats rather silly, why would someone keep exotic birds for revenge purposes? come on I doubt they realise the annoyance they are causing. Approach them politely. be resonable, Remember they cant just ask the birds to keep it down. Maybe they could consider sound proofing measures at night? easily done. If all else fails you can take legal measures but I think that is only a last resort, You dont want to start a Fued.

Remember every one is different, you cant live in a community and expect everyone to conform to your way of life, compremise is the key.

You would hate my area :Averies, Dogs, Pigeons, Guitars and drums, people blaring dance music into the early hours of the morning, consider yourself lucky that birds are your only problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Our new neighbours are keeping exotic birds as a hobby. We've no objection to that except they appear to be using imitation bird whistles to encourage the birds to sing. They make the most irritating, repetitive noises. One sound is a 'wolf-whistle' which they repeat over and over again until we almost 'lose the will to live'. We live in a quiet, country environment and enjoy listening to the local bird sounds but the hideous noises our neighbours make, forces us to go indoors on hot, sunny days and close all the windows. The most noise we make is perhaps mowing the lawn once a week in summer and that's it. We cannot believe they are unaware of the noise/bedlam they are creating. Are they just insensitive and ignorant people we wonder? The obvious thing to do would be to speak to them but since we complained about the 2.4 metre TV dish they stuck (illegally) next to our garden hedge (out of their sight but on full show our side) they have snubbed us. Could this be their way of getting back at us we wonder? Bird noises are not something you can easily complain to the authorities about as in the case of barking dogs, loud music etc. It's a tricky situation but every bit of a nuisance as the other noises. Has anyone out there had similar experiences to ours?
    any noise tollerated after 11pm is agianst the law if your issyes havent been solved call an animal warden he can approch ye nieghbours with a warning or fine if still persists call the guardi its thier job to stop any racket after 11pm ok

Advertisement