Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's Eircom Broadband Week!!!!

Options
  • 22-11-2007 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Ok so what’s the latest on Eircoms rollout of DSL to the 100 exchanges in 2007 as was announced in a press release in October 2006. Anyone know what the talley is at this stage? As there is only a few weeks left in 2007 will Eircom be putting in a big push to get the 100 sorted in 2007???

As its “Eircom Broadband Week” maybe someone from Eircom could reply to this post???

Zug

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Don't think you will see anyone from Eircom post here because they would be hounded. There was a list of the exchanges that had been upgraded so far posted at the end of October, there was 40 out of the 100 which had been done, One can only assume that since then they have went past the 50% mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

There was some guy on from Eircom on News Talk on Monday morning spinning about Eircom Broadband Week and from what I gathered they would only reach the 50 mark in 2007 or maybe he meant that they had another 50 to do before the end of the year. I’m not sure which exactly he meant.
    If it was the former rather than the latter then the decent thing to do would be issue another press release giving an update on progress me thinks.

Zug

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

on News Talk did he mention anything about speed upgrades?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

zugvogel wrote: »
    There was some guy on from Eircom on News Talk on Monday morning spinning about Eircom Broadband Week and from what I gathered they would only reach the 50 mark in 2007 or maybe he meant that they had another 50 to do before the end of the year. I’m not sure which exactly he meant.
    If it was the former rather than the latter then the decent thing to do would be issue another press release giving an update on progress me thinks.

Zug

Its easy enough to cross reference the list of 100 exchanges to be upgraded with the list of live exchanges on the eircom site to see how many of the 100 are up, I would do it myself but I don't have the patience at the moment :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The guy on newstalk (think it was Tuesday) mentioned that they were starting to trial a 12Mb (I think!) consumer product. I know in work we're going to be the first customer on serious DSL product - rumours are saying 40Mb, but I'm not sure.

IIRC, they also said they hoped to have 1000 out of 1150 exchanges done by the end of next year, with the Government to cover the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Their live exchange count from wholesale as of October was 470. That hasn't changed since they launched 19 new exchanges in early summer.

There total exchange count is around 1450.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

seamus wrote: »
    The guy on newstalk (think it was Tuesday) mentioned that they were starting to trial a 12Mb (I think!) consumer product. I know in work we're going to be the first customer on serious DSL product - rumours are saying 40Mb, but I'm not sure.

IIRC, they also said they hoped to have 1000 out of 1150 exchanges done by the end of next year, with the Government to cover the rest.

I read something similar in the sunday business post that eircom would soon be rolling out 8 and 12mb packages but only in selected towns and cities:mad:
    That basically means it will be years before people in the countryside/regional villages get any sort of speed improvements while the rest of the world pulls off into the distance with 100mb+fibre.
    I really think the government needs to directly start intervening in our broadband infrastructure (and i dont mean those Metropolitan area netwrok schemes) as eircom will never bother investing.

rc28 wrote: »
    I read something similar in the sunday business post that eircom would soon be rolling out 8 and 12mb packages but only in selected towns and cities:mad:
    That basically means it will be years before people in the countryside/regional villages get any sort of speed improvements while the rest of the world pulls off into the distance with 100mb+fibre.
    I really think the government needs to directly start intervening in our broadband infrastructure (and i dont mean those Metropolitan area netwrok schemes) as eircom will never bother investing.

Trialling those speeds. It'l be a good while yet before they'll rolling anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Their live exchange count from wholesale as of October was 470. That hasn't changed since they launched 19 new exchanges in early summer.

There total exchange count is around 1450.

They're claiming 495 live exchanges on their dealer site. The last update they gave us was on the 12th of September. This is directly from that site:

"3 exchanges were launched on Tuesday 12th September 2007. These are:

* Colpe Cross (CPXA)
    * Rathvilly RVY (RVYB)
    * Carrigart CAT (CATB)"

They also give quite a long list of "planned" exchanges that are supposed to be done between now and the end of december although at this late stage, I doubt even half of them will be done. If anyone wants to know if they're on the planned list or not, let me know. There are no set dates for any on the planned list.

This is their last update from wholesale on the 2nd/3rd of November.
    eircom Broadband Update - October 2007
    1.2M lines connected to broadband enabled exchanges.
    470 exchanges broadband enabled.
    Total Broadband Lines 525,207 on eircom Network (507,207 on DSL).

The discrepancy doesn't surprise me though. They've been known in the past to hold back new exchanges from wholesale for a while. This gives their sales force a head start on the wholesale resellers.

T'would be great if you could post up the entire list, if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

zippy28 wrote: »
    If anyone wants to know if they're on the planned list or not, let me know. There are no set dates for any on the planned list.

zippy28 can you give the good or bad news on the Nurney exchange, Co. Kildare

Cheers,
    Zug

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so basically my 3072/384k package is as good as it gets for me for the forseeable future/years ahead:(

Why are eircom only planning to roll out 8/12meg to selected cities and large towns when they can update to adsl2 everywhere easily just like in any other country. 8/12meg is hardly groundbreaking for a large city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Easily yes, but expensive also. It probably makes economic sense to release adsl2 in exchanges with lots of people.

zugvogel wrote: »
    zippy28 can you give the good or bad news on the Nurney exchange, Co. Kildare

Cheers,
    Zug

It's on the to do list alright. No guarantees about when it'll actually be done though.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    This is their last update from wholesale on the 2nd/3rd of November.

The discrepancy doesn't surprise me though. They've been known in the past to hold back new exchanges from wholesale for a while. This gives their sales force a head start on the wholesale resellers.

T'would be great if you could post up the entire list, if possible.

I can if people want but it'll be a large post?

Post away my good man. It'll surely be smaller than the list of enquiries you'll get.:D

You could paste it into a Word doc and upload that as an attachment if it's easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not a problem :)

Damn them and their crappy web design. Here it is, apologies about the formatting but I don't have the time to try to edit it.

If eircom are gonna have 8meg/12meg on adsl2 exchanges in the major populated exchanges, then surely they can at least pump everyone on the standard adsl1 exchanges up to 8meg to match those on the adsl2 exchanges, it would seem fair?

I think it would be really unfair that person X in the city could pay €50 for a 8/12meg connection with eircom and person Y in the countryside/smaller towns pays also €50 for a 3meg connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The possible speed drops as you move away from exchange. It could be that over half rural dwellers are too far to get maybe more than 2Mbps. A significant number are too far to get any Broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭leonvquinn

Anyone know where I can find Eircoms planned or live list of exchanges?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

You should have tried the search engine or made a new thread not open an old one.

Try this

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/user?uid=118359808684743111028&hl=en&gl=uk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Calebmcd wrote: »
    You should have tried the search engine or made a new thread not open an old one.

Try this

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/user?uid=118359808684743111028&hl=en&gl=uk
    All I can see from that link is a useless list of exchanges with a medium-sized MDF. There are plenty of DSL enabled exchanges not on that list.

This link here has a list of decent enough accuracy but it's only on a per-county basis and I've found the odd exchange on the list which is in the wrong county.

Advertisement