Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

too many mods with too much time on their hands
    how many t-shirts a year do they pay ye with?

We'd have even more time on our hands if we didn't have to deal with muppetry.

An infraction is a warning, and as seen here, is of little use to some individuals.

I make no apology for modding adverts in a strict manner, and I'm sure the other Amods won't either, for reasons outlined above.

As always, a contrite PM or an apology goes a long way. Acting like a smartarse, particularly when you're on the cusp of selling something fairly valuable like a car, is not a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I told her not to have the mutton vindaloo nazor.gif

Not really doing yourself any favours, are you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

cornbb wrote: »
    I personally found the hoover comment hilarious and harmless.

Fair enough I see the need to carefully moderate adverts.ie for obvious reasons but being too heavy-handed about it will piss a lot of users off and cripple the growth of the site.

That's not why he was banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm with RoundyMooney here and I have let it be known in adverts that I am moving in the general direction of "zero tolerance". Your infraction was for posting a false price in order to generate more views of your car. I warned you on thread and followed this with the infraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

seamus wrote: »
    Can we give this guy an award for best nick?

Seconded
    cornbb wrote: »

+1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I dont mind being banned from the personal issues forum, i jut read the threads to make me feel better about my own life

*snigger*

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

cornbb wrote:
    So did I, but that's not why he was banned, as mentioned above.

RoundyMoony and smashey put herculean effort into making sure adverts.ie is a pleasant and useful place for the majority of users. Zero tolerance is a necessity, and quite frankly it could be a lot closer to zero than it is currently. Can't make an omlette without cracking some eggs.

And I eat eggs for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Actually, can we siteban Lazers Pew Pew purely so that I can then have my nick changed to that? :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

çrash_000 wrote: »
    Actually, can we siteban Lazers Pew Pew purely so that I can then have my nick changed to that? :)
    Abusing mod power b&.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

"Free to take away, one pair of yore ma's kecks, slightly soiled".

i believe the term is "lollersnot"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Jules80 wrote: »
    i believe the term is now "lollersnot"

LOL. Too much of the coke & hookers me thinks.

'Lollersnort' - courtesy MAJD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

krazy_8s wrote: »
    Comedy is about the timing and I think he timed that one pretty well.

+1

Timing was perfect, think this guy should be unbanned for shear balls alone...

Come on dudes it xmas (nearly). Take off the Mod caps, kick back and have a few laughs. Stop taking e-life so seriously......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Feelgood wrote: »
    +1

Timing was perfect, think this guy should be unbanned for shear balls alone...

Come on dudes it xmas (nearly). Take off the Mod caps, kick back and have a few laughs. Stop taking e-life so seriously......:)
    Don't get me wrong, it was indeed a funny comment and I laughed. :D It's not the reason he was banned though. Posting false prices to generate interest in his car is muppetry of the highest order. Adverts isn't the easiest of places to mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

ScaredSmile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I suppose "Lazors pew pew" might be free.

i'll take my ban like a man

but....

i post on about 2 other forums and i have never seen a place so heavily policed like boards.ie

whats that about?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Or lasers pew pew.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

off the main deflector dish

I'm not posting this to make Faith look bad.
    Although, she misrepresented lasers.
    I'm only trying to make sure the information provided is accurate and therefor useful to other readers.
    So, I apologize if any feathers are ruffled by my correction

lasers do not go pew pew
    like some sonic whistle when the energy state inversion collapses inside mirrored chamber.
    If the laser cavity vibrates with sound,
    the standing wave in the chamber might loss coherency.

icon_uhoh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

i post on about 2 other forums and i have never seen a place so heavily policed like boards.ie

whats that about?!
    Most other forums are small and ****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Matt Holck wrote: »
    off the main deflector dish

I'm not posting this to make Faith look bad.
    Although, she misrepresented lasers.
    I'm only trying to make sure the information provided is accurate and therefor useful to other readers.
    So, I apologize if any feathers are ruffled by my correction

lasers do not go pew pew
    like some sonic whistle when the energy state inversion collapses inside mirrored chamber.
    If the laser cavity vibrates with sound,
    the standing wave in the chamber might loss coherency.

Pffft, everyone knows it's not the laser cavity itself that generates the noise. It's the laser beam travelling through the air which causes it. In the same way that lightening traveling through the air heats it causing it to expand suddenly creating a shockwave which we hear as thunder, a laser blast also heats the air as it passes, causing it to expand producing a soundwave. However because lightening bolts are quite long, stretching from the clouds to the ground, they produce a very long disturbance in the air, which makes for a long wavelength, and thus low frequency, which sounds like a deep rumbling. Lasers on the other hand, or at least the typical hand held blaster variety, are typically much shorter, creating a much shorter wavelength, higher frequency noise, which does indeed sound like 'pew pew'.

Assuming you fire it twice.

:)

I am now rescinding my last statement

Pulse lasers after firing may undergo a chemical reaction altering the pressure with in the chamber.
    The movement of gasses through valves could indeed produce a whistling sound.

just keep in mind

alien-poster.jpg

laws-of-physics-that-dont-apply-in-hollywood

stevenmu wrote: »
    Pffft, everyone knows it's not the laser cavity itself that generates the noise. It's the laser beam traveling through the air which causes it. In the same way that lightening traveling through the air heats it causing it to expand suddenly creating a shockwave which we hear as thunder, a laser blast also heats the air as it passes, causing it to expand producing a soundwave. However because lightening bolts are quite long, stretching from the clouds to the ground, they produce a very long disturbance in the air, which makes for a long wavelength, and thus low frequency, which sounds like a deep rumbling. Lasers on the other hand, or at least the typical hand held blaster variety, are typically much shorter, creating a much shorter wavelength, higher frequency noise, which does indeed sound like 'pew pew'.

Assuming you fire it twice.

:)

that's a great argument
    I can only say
    from my experience
    small arcs of electricity produce a lower frequency snap
    not a whistling pew

that and
    thunder results when expanding air impacts cool air
    surrounding the lightning bolt
    so the shock wave is perpendicular to the path of the bolt
    and the sounds wavelength would be determined by that pressure gradient
    not the length of the lightning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

that's a great argument
    I can only say
    from my experience
    not a whistling pew

that and
    thunder results when expanding air impacts cool air
    surrounding the lightning bolt
    so the shock wave is perpendicular to the path of the bolt
    and the sounds wavelength would be determined by that pressure gradient
    not the length of the lightning

i love how random boards is lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

whats that about?!

How many times have those 2 other forums been sued (or threatened with lawsuits)? Not as many times as boards, I'll bet.

boards is much larger than most
    so a greater target when one looks to damage control reputation
    and perhaps a more significant one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lol Matt, thanks for correcting me on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I can only say
    from my experience

i'm gonna refer to musical tesla coils... i don't know what their frequency upper bound is but it's certainly not limited to a lower frequency snap... but hardware limitations ignored the sparks should be able to go as high as you need if my rudimentary understanding of the physics behind them is correct

oh and the actual "ew" in the pew sound is actually the frequency of the sound falling if my perception of it is the same as yours? which would be caused by the doppler effect which is itself caused by motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Phew! (or should that be pew?) *wipes brow*

I posted on that coke and hoovers ad as well, but my offering was funnier, imvho.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement