Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two factors made stopped Crysis being the second best FPS on the next gen...*SPOLIERS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Just after completing it there, and I have to agree, it is very short. By the time I got to the Core level I was sure I was only half way through, but alas, it was over in another few hours leaving me empty and unsatisfied.

Now the title already has "spoilers" in it so i'm going to assume you are aware that what i'm going to say next will ruin the game for anyone who hasn't already played Crysis.

This game, whilst being good... did not give me the sense of freedom of Far Cry, the interesting storyline and characters of HL2 or even the tenseness of FEAR. If you strip away the graphics (which i'm glad I didn't have to) you are left with a fairly basic FPS, ergo:

Run from point A to point B, push button C, move onto D...etc

I felt like I was just going through the motions. Even during the final battle the wife was asking me a question and I didn't even bother to pause it I just turned away from the screen to talk to her and continued to make Nomad run in circles knowing full well when I looked back i'd still be alive. It was painfully easy to complete. I like a challenge, a challenge so hard I will want to throw my mouse across the room out of frustration, because I know when I defeat that challenge it will feel like something was actually accomplished.

What I don't understand is why Crytek constructed the game like this, they seem to have gone through all this trouble building these expansive maps, only to give you 2 or 3 pointless objectives per level. I don't understand why they didn't get their milage out of the maps and have you running back and forth completing various objectives, which would of added hours to the game and given the players a reason to explore the maps. What this game was truly lacking was puzzles of any kind. HL and HL2 excel in this, Portal being the shining example. Take for instance the Core level... what was the point of that level? I basically just floated from one side of it to the other, killing a few Predator/Matrix Sentinel aliens along the way. I mean at least make me have to push a button or something along the way.

In the end it left me feeling like i'd achieved nothing. I mean with Gordon Freeman you feel you are accomplishing things that no one else could achieve, the characters around you revere you for this. But with Nomad, I felt any of the other characters could do what he did, which was very little for the most part.

Overall, fun in parts and definitely a milestone, graphically. But nothing to write home about. A classic example of a game company putting form over function.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Playing the game with your machine with specs like those was never a good idea to be honest. It just drains away all the enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Den_M wrote: »
    Playing the game with your machine with specs like those was never a good idea to be honest. It just drains away all the enjoyment.

Who was that in response to?
    And what exactly is your definition of enjoyment? shiny graphics and "meh" gameplay wouldn't be mine...

tman wrote: »
    And what exactly is your definition of enjoyment? shiny graphics and "meh" gameplay wouldn't be mine...

I believe he just replied to the OP without reading the rest of the thread.

Also, I agree, I was able to have all the bells and whistles on very high throughout (except for ascension, don't know why that level pwnd my rig) Even though the levels looked realistic, I never felt a sense of realism from my character, his reactions where robotic and it seemed my only purpose was to go around killing anything that moved and blowing sh!t up. Fun for a bit, but I like to see some humanity and cognition in the character i'm controlling. I don't see the next 2 installments getting any better either.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

i really enjoyed the early levels but it did get a bit samey after a while .GFX amazing , AI poor (I mean it was laughable the way you could enter a building and wait for them to line up at the door to be shot)
    Overall very enjoyable,hav'nt tried the multiplayer yet, but I see no comments referring to that? is it that bad?

Also I,m running it on quad 6850,2gb corsair and 2x8800gtx and it's still crap fps on all on ultra .its not optimised at all and by the time the patch is out to fix this most poeple will have finished the game ..stoopid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

tman wrote: »

If I was responding to something you said I would have quoted you. Graphics certainly aren't the be all and end all of enjoyment in my book, but if it's running like a dog with dropped frames all over the place thats not going to be very 'enjoyable' is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

only played the Crysis demo didnt even bother to finish it to much like work

played the bioshock demo great atmosphere a most buy

Call of Duty 4 is the best game

finished it on pc and xbox 360 and play multiplayer in both ,cool game btw

have to get the orange box it looks like a must buy :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Take the core level for example. There were a few areas where there were holographic type control centre type places. You go down there and al you do is float through it.

Anyone think mybe there was supposed to be button, switches, etc there but were stripped out/not finished in time?

Perhaps the same can be said for the open ended levels that you get "funnelled" through?

Another game that was released too early perhaps....

chamlis wrote: »
    Take the core level for example. There were a few areas where there were holographic type control centre type places. You go down there and al you do is float through it.

Anyone think mybe there was supposed to be button, switches, etc there but were stripped out/not finished in time?

Perhaps the same can be said for the open ended levels that you get "funnelled" through?

Another game that was released too early perhaps....

I think the only function of those consoles was as an alert console for the aliens to call in more of their buddies to ram you. If you killed the alien before he got to the console he wouldn't set off the alarm.

But other than that the core level was pointless, you where basically just recording intel for the americans. Which was a pity because they could of made it something special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

The novelty value wore off after 10 mins or so. If it was only that long, we'd prob be complaining it wasn't longer :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement