Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High(er) level ER diagram

Options
  • 22-11-2007 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the design phase for a Database and I've modelled the 16 tables in Visio 2007. Understandably, all tables & their column fields will not fit on the one page so I'm trying to find a higher level diagram that can capture the DB characteristics.

Would appreciate any suggestions, and thanks in advance!
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-relationship_model

Check out free tools section. Its as easy to do it in excel as Visio when it is a table based diagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

1) Do a top-level diagram with only the table-names and the relationships between tables expressed as 1-1 and 1-many.

2) If you have "link" tables to give you many-many relationships (e.g. authors, titles, and titleauthorsm, so allow an author to have many titles, and a title to have multiple authors), drop them from this diagram, and represent it as a many-many relationship.

That should fit, no problem, and give a good overview of the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Thanks guys, much appreciated :)

Advertisement