Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Nettles

• 22-11-2007 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

hi,

anyone know where I can buy these.
    I am not sure I want to pick them round where I live - might have a doggy pee taste off them !

I want to try nettle soup.

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its the wrong time of year for them, wait til March at least and pick some yourself. I don't know if many dogs like to risk stinging their bollocks when they go for a whizz, most animals tend to leave nettles alone in my experience, which is why they do so well.

(I'm a culchie, I know this stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Its the wrong time of year for them, wait til March at least and pick some yourself. I don't know if many dogs like to risk stinging their bollocks when they go for a whizz, most animals tend to leave nettles alone in my experience, which is why they do so well.

(I'm a culchie, I know this stuff).

Makes sense I suppose lol
    I dont need that many so I dunno if I'll have to wait about till SPring.

Thanks for the tip though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Come and clear a load out of my garden if you like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

When you're picking nettles its best to just pick the tops - thats why its better to wait till spring for new fresh growth, nettles this time of year will probably be a bit tough and bitter - not great for soup! (another culchie)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Pick them in May when they are young and light green. I made some nettle soup as an experiment this year and it was good. Pick with rubber gloves, then blanch with boiling water to remove the sting before chopping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

padraig71 wrote: »
    Pick them in May when they are young and light green. I made some nettle soup as an experiment this year and it was good. Pick with rubber gloves, then blanch with boiling water to remove the sting before chopping up.
    Or let them wilt. Nettle soup is lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Nettles are an absolutely fantastic substitute for cabbage btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

A good few down by the canal... rat fresh :)

Advertisement