Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Charges

Options
  • 22-11-2007 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have run into an issue with a new apartment that I am purchasing with regard to billing for Gas. An account has been put in my name dispite the fact that I have not taken posession of the property yet. The builder is refusing to pay the charges claiming that I was informed that I would be liable for all of the gas charges which is a blatant lie and Board Gais have said they do not get involved in the resolution of these disputes, I have lodged a complaint with Board Gais none the less.

I was wondering if other people have been in this situation before and what they did to resolve the issue. What other options are available to me and how can the builder be legally entitled to put my name on an account without any kind of authorisation from me?

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you want gas?

When are you moving in?

Tell the builder that he is responsible for the gas bill until you move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Surely there's no way you can be responsible for any charges when you haven't signed a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

@Victor - Unfortunately its not about wanting gas, I need it. GFCH for the apartment. I dunno when I'm moving in coz I haven't closed the sale yet. As for telling the builder he is responsible for the gas thats only one thing thats part of a long list of problems and issues I have with him.

@Padraig - According to Board Gais I'm to be charged because the account is in my name. They have said that hey do sympathize with my situation but it is up to myself and the builder to resolve. The only option they could provide me with is the gas locked in which case Ive to pay 150Euro to have it unlocked. The builder has outright lied to Board Gais claiming that they informed me that I was liable for the gas charges and as a result they can do nothing.

Is there anything I can do via small claims etc? Also is it possible for me to do anything to Board Gais for letting them put my name on the account in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Tell the builder that you want the meter read on the day of the closing and you will deduct the cost of the gas outstanding from the purchase price. It is up to Bord Gais to satisfy themselves that you have agreed to become a customer before charging you for gas. Complain to the Office of Consumer Affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

@ Jo King - Cheers for the feedback, unfortunately there is not talking to the builder and he is completely unreasonable. So much so that the sale has gone to arbitration so the gas issue will be sorted one way or another.

I guess the thing that is most infuriating is that Board Gais refuse to do anything about this. They are fully aware of the situation as I have informed them that I have not taken posession of the property and they said they would change the account to the builders name. They had to get the builders authorization to do this and when they rang the builder they blatantly lied to Board Gais saying that I had been informed that I was liable for the charges and refused to allow the account to be put in their name. As a result Board Gais couldnt change the account over as their hands were tied without authorisation.

The guy in Board Gais was helpful and sympathetic, he said that putting an account under someones name was a standard facility that they provided to builders and estate agents. It is taken in good faith that they are acting on your behalf (which for me is complete bull****). He said its a standard thing that any of the decent builders will put the accounts in their name and then when u move in you simply ring up to transfer the account.

I dont know how much the office of consumer afairs will do and for me what I really want is Board Gais to bring the builder to buck for this one and possibly penalise him in some way for this type of behaviour. Idealistic I know but this really has rubbed me up the wrong way.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

You did not enter a contract with Bord gas. They cannot charge you for something they did not agree to. if they took the builders word then it is their problem. If the builder intended to force you to pay for gas he has used then you should report the matter to the Garda. He may be committing theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I agree with Jo. You haven't signed anything with BG, so they can't hold you accountable for any charges. What services they offer to builders or EAs are their own business, and have nothing to do with you.

On a related note, shortly after moving into my apartment (rented), I received an ESB bill in the name of a Dublin based Civil Engineering firm for approx. €1400 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

bugler wrote: »
    I agree with Jo. You haven't signed anything with BG, so they can't hold you accountable for any charges. What services they offer to builders or EAs are their own business, and have nothing to do with you.

QFT. No way would it hold up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

Dave this is easy.

your solicitor can right this into the contract when you do the final signings to get your keys. similar issue happened me with the ESB. builder had signed me up 4 months before i moved in and teh workmen were using my elec while they were carrying out work on the house.

my solicitor wrote in that I would be taking a meter reading on the day i got keys and builder would be responsible for anything up to that.

Advertisement