Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 pillars of Islam

• 22-11-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

hey, doing an essay on Mohammad's teachings, are the 5 pillars considered his teachings :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Welcome to the Islam forum ashyle,

The five pillars of Islam (the profession of faith [shahada], obligatory prayer [salat], almsgiving [zakat], the fasting [sawm], and the pilgrimage to Makkah for the able [hajj]) all feature in the Qur'an, and are thus first and foremost the message of Allah.

However this message was put into practice on Earth thanks to the teachings and explanations given by the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), thus he can be said to have taught them, but they did not themselves originate from Muhammad (peace be upon him).

These were referred to by Muhammad (peace be upon him) as the five principles of Islam as we read in this hadith
    Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said: Islam is based on (the following) five (principles):

1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's Apostle.

2. To offer the (compulsory congregational) prayers dutifully and perfectly.

3. To pay Zakat (i.e. obligatory charity) .

4. To perform Hajj. (i.e. Pilgrimage to Mecca)

5. To observe fast during the month of Ramadan.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/002.sbt.html

Hope that helps, good luck with the essay:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

thanks a million that cleared it up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hi folks I'm also doing an essay on the same subject.

I was wondering where I can find any reference to the five pillars in the Qur'an as that I want to back up my argument using the main primary source of the teachings of Islam.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Probably best thing you can do is to head over here and do a search for each of the five pillars:
    http://www.islamicity.com/QuranSearch/

Advertisement