Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glycerine- Bush

Options
  • 22-11-2007 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Listened to this recently again and imho it still sounds great.

Many people say Bush were Nirvana copyists but this track definitely has something- I love the combination of anguished vocals and grungy (distorted?) guitar.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

tech77 wrote:
    Listened to this recently again and imho it still sounds great.
    Many people say Bush were Nirvana copyists but this track definitely has something- I love the combination of anguished vocals and grungy (distorted?) guitar.

Yes, they were called the "British Nirvana", but I liked them far better...much more progressive sound. Great headphone music!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Rustar wrote: »
    Yes, they were called the "British Nirvana", but I liked them far better...much more progressive sound. Great headphone music!
    They were so much more than that. For instance Gavin Rossdale's star shone brightly enough for him to convince Gwen Stefani to marry him. Now that's skill. Or hypnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Glycerine is an unbelievable song. A lot of what Bush did was fantastic and the categorise them with Nirvana is an insult.

Songs like 'Swallowed', 'Machinehead', 'Comedown', 'Letting The Cables Sleep' and 'Warm Machine' are still regular listens on my ipod. Just wish I coulda seen them live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Glycerine is an unbelievable song. A lot of what Bush did was fantastic and the categorise them with Nirvana is an insult. Songs like 'Swallowed', 'Machinehead', 'Comedown', 'Letting The Cables Sleep' and 'Warm Machine' are still regular listens on my ipod. Just wish I coulda seen them live.
    I wouldn't say comparing them to Nirvana was an insult tbh. There are definitely similarities. I loved Nirvana's sound, especially Nevermind. Still think it's a bit of a pop-grunge masterpiece (usually ranks high in any best album polls by Q, Rolling Stone etc, higher than their other albums like Incesticide, In utero etc). But yeah stuff like Glycerine and Swallowed by Bush is great in it's own way. Must check them out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Glycerine was a song I got a bit tired of after a while (though I still think it's good) Sixteen Stone is a great,great album though, and they really didn't deserve the Nirvana copyist thing mostly due to Nigel's guitar stuff which was really original and curious. Machine Head-totally rocked. I think I preferred Razorblade Suitcase overall though even though a few of the "experimental" numbers are a bit wanky. Personal Holloway, History, Swallowed- they all rock like Baxtards. That last album Golden State seems to be hard to come by... In fact Bush albums in general you don't see in the shops too much. Gavin also had that new band Institute a couple of years ago with one of the guys from Rival Schools, I thought they seemed pretty good but they disappeared fairly quickly. Don't know what he's doin now. Goin to have to track down a new copy of Razorblade now I think, I miss those songs

• Advertisement
Advertisement