Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why don't more cars come with 6 gears as standard?

Options
  • 22-11-2007 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I'm curious. Surely the 6th gear leads to better fuel efficiency on motorways etc and therefore would be a selling point in new cars. Is it just uneconomical for manufacturers to design and make 6 speed gearboxes? Or do they just hold these off as expensive extras, or reserve them for high-performance cars, to retain the "I want one but can't have one" factor? Am I missing something obvious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

All BMW/MINIs come with 6 speeds, and I remember back in 2002, the Punto having 6 speeds too. All cars should be six speed IMHO, but you wouldn't believe the tripe I hear from people about it ... 'Sure when would I use 6th?', or my personal favourite 'What speed should I be doing before I go to 6th?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The Lexus IS 220D has six gears but you can only use 6th if the break the speed limit..about 125 Km/h,otherwise it labours..very useful

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I dunno. Unless the engine is particularly weedy, I think five should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

If the engine was weedy, it wouldn't cope with 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

I was in a 5 door Fiat Stilo 1.2 :eek: once with 6 gears. I personally use my 6th gear every day, even in 60kph zones (provided it's not uphill of course :D)

• Advertisement

jimbo78 wrote: »
    If the engine was weedy, it wouldn't cope with 6th
    You're assuming that a six-speed box is like a five-speed with the addition of another, higher, ratio. That may be true in the odd case, but usually the extra cog is used to tighten up the gaps between gears. The less torque the engine has, the more useful this is. A big V8 might be perfectly usable with only three forward gears, a little 1.0 won't.

@ fletch
    Talk about stressing your engine. Why bother?

@ fletch
    As I said in my last post, you're assuming sixth to be higher than fifth would be in a five-speed car. Why?

Ive driven 6 speed cars and never really use sixth because the revs seem to be pretty low in fifth. Therefore it seems that sixth is just an extra higher ratio gear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Anan1 wrote: »
    You're assuming that a six-speed box is like a five-speed with the addition of another, higher, ratio. That may be true in the odd case, but usually the extra cog is used to tighten up the gaps between gears. The less torque the engine has, the more useful this is. A big V8 might be perfectly usable with only three forward gears, a little 1.0 won't.

Nice explanation Anan. Often wondered about that. I'm driving an '04 Corolla at the mo, and its grand for normal driving. But when I'm on the motorway, doing about 120kph, I often find myself checking if I am actually in 5th gear, and not 4th. Feels like it could use the extra gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Renault seem to be going down the 6 gear route. The new Laguna has 6 and some of the current range of Scenics have 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The original Fiat 6 speed was designed for, excuse the term, "baby-boy-racers" who wanted something cheap to insure and run but which could sound and behave all exciting. I belive the ratios were rather short.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the Punto sporting gearbox was very good, it really helped the run to 60mph. ratios were short alright, but great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Anan1 wrote: »

spot on anan-taking the TDI golf/passat cars of which i have a good bit of experience the length of 1st gear on the 5 speed and 6 speed box is identical and the length of 5th in the 5 spped and 6th in the 6 speed are also identical,the extra cog is in the middle and its quite useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smartypantz

Speaking of "weedy" engines :D!

The 600cc and 700cc (my car) Smart fortwo has a 6th gear, typically selected over 45mph.

Though the new 1.0l Smart only has 5 gears :confused: and after having test driven one, IMO it could do with the extra cog. Fuel economy is also not as good on the new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I never really thought about it until last week when I was driving back from Limerick on the P'Laoise bypass and the passenger commented how high the revs were in 5th gear when I was doing 80mph. I think it was just over 4000.

He said in his car in 6th at that speed he'd probably be just over 3,000

Explained why I needed to fill the car up again after doing a 200 mile round trip.

You shouldn't be speeding. Report yourself into the nearest Garda Station post haste if you have any conscience

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I never really thought about it until last week when I was driving back from Limerick on the P'Laoise bypass and the passenger commented how high the revs were in 5th gear when I was doing 80mph. I think it was just over 4000.

He said in his car in 6th at that speed he'd probably be just over 3,000

Explained why I needed to fill the car up again after doing a 200 mile round trip.
    Is this the Verso?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

@ fletch
    Not really, I would only do it on a descent and wouldn't apply more than a quarter throttle. Saves fuel. If the road inclined I would drop a gear or two depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The new opel vectra comes with 6speed as standard on all the range afaik, Its very handy on long drives. My folks 2.0l diesel vectra will tick over at 2k rpm while doing 120kmh, whereas my 1.9tdi a4 does about 3k revs in 5th at 120kmh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Timmaay wrote: »
    The new opel vectra comes with 6speed as standard on all the range afaik, Its very handy on long drives.

Nope, only the diesels have 6 gears, and the high powered petrols(the ones with a 2.0 or bigger IIRC). The 1.6 and 1.8 definately don't have 6.

What I can never understand is why most oil burners have 6 speed boxes and most petrol equivalents still only have 5?

In the recent thread about the Opel Astra I was told that at 120 km/h the diesel is at 2200 rpm in 6th gear, and I know from being in one that the 1.4 petrol is doing about 3700 rpm in 5th. I don't know about the diesel but I do know that with the petrol you can hear the engine working away and it is noisy and tiresome. So far as I can tell, the main advantage of 6 gears is greater economy and less noise on the Motorway, and the gears are overall less widely spaced out so you should be in the enginer's power band more often and gearchanges. FWIW the Avensis D-4D(2.0 126 bhp) at 120 km/h in 6th is running at 2000 rpm I'm led to believe(IIRC that was what Honest John said it did anyway) while I know from my old man's 1.8 Avensis(129 bhp) its going at around 70 km/h in 5th gear(which is it's top gear) when it's at 2000 rpm. If his car is travelling at 120, the rev counter is at around 3200 rpm, so it doesn't surprise me that the best he can get from it at Motorway driving is 41 mpg(usually more like 38 or 39).

A lot of petrol Toyotas could do with a 6th gear TBH. the VVT-i is torquey enough to handle lower revs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

E92 wrote: »
    What I can never understand is why most oil burners have 6 speed boxes and most petrol equivalents still only have 5
    Diesels have very short power bands and with a turbo diesel where the turbo is working as intended you would want to running in around 2 or 2.5k rpm where all the oomph is.
    with a six speed you are hitting optimum engine speed near all the time especially out on the motorway.
    a 7 speed box would be even better but people would get tired changing gears.
    with a CVT or DSG auto box you can be in the sweet spot all the time.

Way of the future - smaller and smaller engines or diesels with forced induction and CVT or DSG transmission to keep you in the sweet spot all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

E92 wrote: »
    In the recent thread about the Opel Astra I was told that at 120 km/h the diesel is at 2200 rpm in 6th gear, and I know from being in one that the 1.4 petrol is doing about 3700 rpm in 5th.
    That's because diesels run at lower RPMs than petrols. My S80 petrol red lines @ 6,500 RPM, and delivers peak BHP @ 5,300 RPM, but the diesel version red lines @ 4,500 RPM and peaks at 2,500 RPM. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

6 gears are an aberration due to the narrow torque bands produced by "modern" torque compromised eco friendly engines. Once the engineers get ahead of the issue we will be back to 5 speed and eventually 4 speed boxes, ie flexible engines.

Less is more. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well my 968 has six - and it's a 1994 car - but only needs.........4 ?

I know this because the torque is such that I 'block change' like the trucks do, and go 1-2-4-6. The car doesn't even notice that I've done it. It's like driving one big elastic band.

Love it :D:D:D

Mind you, I'd like more gears in 1.4 petrol turbo or something - all noise'n'action, dontchaknow.......just 'suits' the things, as ColmMc says.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

galwaytt wrote: »
    The car doesn't even notice that I've done it.

If it ever finds out, there could be trouble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

The new Honda Civic has 6 gears as well. Mine is a 1.8 Vtec and the 6th gear is only really for cruising. Gives great fuel economy for a 1.8 (44mpg) but no torque unless really driving pretty fast. You really need to go down a couple of gears for overtaking.

I'd say at least a 1.8L petrol engine required for efficient use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

the M6 has 7 gears if I am not mistaken, looks like we are gonna hit 8 gears in a couple of years lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anything over 3 or 4 gears is bunk, older engines had great torque and had real power. With these modern high revving engines you spend all day flipping up and down gears, realistically these motors couldn't burst their way out of a wet paper bag!:D .

mustang_title.jpg

Advertisement