Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6'4" - 21" frame?

Options
  • 22-11-2007 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking at a new/second hand bike. Thinking Dawes Discovery series.

I'm 6'4".Should I be looking at 20" or 21" frame?

Gona be doing some lenghtly cycles on it - 120 miles +...

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You would almost certainly be _at least_ a 23" (I think this is the largest for a Dawes Discovery.) 21" would be too small.

120 miles is very long for a Dawes Discovery. I have one myself, great little hybrid, but I would not be doing 120 miles on it (I am presuming you mean in one go?) What is your primary use for the bike- are the long cycles the main purpose, or incidental. Will you be carrying luggage on these long cycles?

There is of course a great range in the Discovery series and they get progressively sportier as you go up, but any particular reason you are looking just at these bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Your leg length is more important I think. I am 5'11'' and have the discovery 601. I went for the 19" but was in 2 minds about the 21" in mind. My legs are relatively small for my height. Not sure length, you are meant to measure crotch to ground - there are online frame size calculators.

My jeans are only a 30" inseam. I think the 23" would suit you too.

I would like my bike for such a long trip. I imagine blorg has a touring bike or racing bike in mind. I would not mind a small loss in efficiency for the added comfort. The 601 is class, as I say to people, if it was nicked today I would buy the same bike tomorrow. Comfy gel saddle with suspension seatpost. Gelly comfy grips too. I have since changed to slick tyres, 28mm gatorskin on the back, and a 23 on the front.

The 701 is essentially a road bike with straight bars. And the lower ones are more like MTBs, my mate has the 401 with front suspension, not as suitable for long trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Thanks for both your replies.

Main purpose would be exercising on the weekends, with the occasional long cycle thrown in. Gona be doing the Ring of Kerry next June bank holiday.

Jeans-wise I'm a 36" leg, should probably search for a 23" frame so...

I was thinking Discovery series as its a cross between a racer/mtb and I'd heard good things.

Any other ideas for bikes?

Budget is flexible - I dont mind spending on something good that'll last me.

Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

mvpr wrote: »
    I was thinking Discovery series as its a cross between a racer/mtb and I'd heard good things.
    They are, the 401 is the lowest I would go for, they get more and more like road bikes as you go up. So you have to decide what you want. I recommended the 401 to my mate, his limit was around €400, and he was going to be doing short trips on crap potholed roads. At the time there was an offer on the 601 and it was only a little more than the 501, was well worth the extra.

There are plenty of other good hybrids, the giant FCR range is good. Again the higher the price the more it tends to be like a hybrid.

If it is solely for exercise and not competition then a small loss in efficiency is a small priced to pay for the added strength and comfort of a hybrid.

I also have a MTB with slicks that I use for exercise and trips on dodgy roads. I do not have to worry about potholes etc on it so enjoy the ride more, it is also inherently safer as you cannot get up the crazy speeds you can on road bikes. Although I still take great joy in passing out the weekend lads with shaved legs in all the lycra gear on their €2k racers, they must go mental seeing a lad on a MTB passing them out with a bag of cans from the offie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

The Giant FCRs don't vary in style very much as you go up range: they're all pretty much road bikes with flat handlebars. I've toured quite a bit on an FCR3 (around €550) and found it excellent. It's a good solution to the question of whether to choose a touring bike or a commuting bike.
    ruprect wrote: »
    They are, the 401 is the lowest I would go for, they get more and more like road bikes as you go up. So you have to decide what you want. I recommended the 401 to my mate, his limit was around €400, and he was going to be doing short trips on crap potholed roads. At the time there was an offer on the 601 and it was only a little more than the 501, was well worth the extra.

There are plenty of other good hybrids, the giant FCR range is good. Again the higher the price the more it tends to be like a hybrid.

If it is solely for exercise and not competition then a small loss in efficiency is a small priced to pay for the added strength and comfort of a hybrid.

I also have a MTB with slicks that I use for exercise and trips on dodgy roads. I do not have to worry about potholes etc on it so enjoy the ride more, it is also inherently safer as you cannot get up the crazy speeds you can on road bikes. Although I still take great joy in passing out the weekend lads with shaved legs in all the lycra gear on their €2k racers, they must go mental seeing a lad on a MTB passing them out with a bag of cans from the offie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

ruprect wrote: »
    I imagine blorg has a touring bike or racing bike in mind. I would not mind a small loss in efficiency for the added comfort. The 601 is class, as I say to people, if it was nicked today I would buy the same bike tomorrow. Comfy gel saddle with suspension seatpost.
    I do have a touring/racing bike in mind, yes ;-) Thing is it is a myth that an upright flat bar with a gelly saddle is going to be more comfortable over really long cycles; they are superficially more comfortable over shorter distances but a drop-bar tourer/racer with a harder saddle (and shorts) will be better over the longer distances.

I've both toured (up to 1,000k) and done long (100k-200k) single day cycles on both combinations of hybrid/flatbar/gel saddle, "tourer"/drops/Brooks saddle, as well as long single days on a carbon racer. No question the drops are better- hybrid was a Specialized Sirrus which effectively became the "tourer" with change of bars and saddle, so it is the only variable there.

Drop bars give you a lot more hand positions which is important on long cycles. If you do go for flat bars do at least get bar ends which give you one more position. A hybrid will be absolutely fine if you are looking at weekend exercise and are new to cycling; I cycled one myself for over ten years before changing over (including the Camino de Santiago on a 23" Dawes steel "city bike", and I am only 6ft.) I still have a hybrid for short distance utility cycling- wouldn't look back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Thanks for all your advice guys.

I'm gona pay a visit to a bikeshop over the weekend and check out Dawes 601/Giant FCRs...

Advertisement