Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Nokia 6234 work on Meteor

• 22-11-2007 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭

Got a Vodafone Nokia 6234 from a mate. It was unlocked by Vodafone and now works on Vf and 02(ie simfree) but for some reason it will not work on Meteor. I have a full signal but for some reason I can't make/receive calls or send/receive text msg's. According to girl in Meteor shop it is because it is a 3g phone and Meteor are not 3g enabled. Anyone know if this is true or am I being spoofed. Its just she didn't seem to be too sure herself, and Meteor have this phone listed on their user settings page but as I cannot get any txt msg's I cannot download the settings. :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

You possibly need a newer Meteor sim card. Is it fairly old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

put your sim in another meteor phone and if it all works then get a replacement sim. What she said about it being a 3g phone is crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Got a Vodafone Nokia 6234 from a mate. It was unlocked by Vodafone and now works on Vf and 02(ie simfree) but for some reason it will not work on Meteor. I have a full signal but for some reason I can't make/receive calls or send/receive text msg's. According to girl in Meteor shop it is because it is a 3g phone and Meteor are not 3g enabled. Anyone know if this is true or am I being spoofed. Its just she didn't seem to be too sure herself, and Meteor have this phone listed on their user settings page but as I cannot get any txt msg's I cannot download the settings. :confused::confused::confused:

Get the software flashed to the standard firmware. Vodafone firmware seems to dislike Meteor sim cards for some phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Thanks all for fast replies.
    Q1. Sim is about 2 years old
    Q2 Yes, sim works fine in other older (not 6234) Meteor phones

How do I get newer Sim. Is it just a matter of requesting one from Meteor.
    Get the software flashed to the standard firmware
    Afraid you have now lost me. Any idea where/how I can get this done.

Thanks in advance Joe

Any Nokia service center should be able to do this for you. Don't know if there's any in Wicklow, but since I know there's one in Clonmel and Tipp town, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume there is one!

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    How do I get newer Sim. Is it just a matter of requesting one from Meteor.

you go into a shop and give your phone number, name, address and DOB and they give you a new blank sim. be sure to copy all your phone numbers off the old sim memory to the phone memory first. if its two years old its very likely to be the problem

the firmware could be the problem too but get a new sim first imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could also try another Meteor SIM in the phone maybe? When you pop into the shop ask one of the staff to try theres?

It's just plain stupid what the Meteor staffer told you about 3G.

ciaranfo wrote: »
    You could also try another Meteor SIM in the phone maybe? When you pop into the shop ask one of the staff to try theres?

It's just plain stupid what the Meteor staffer told you about 3G.

No, it's not. Back a while ago, before Meteor upgraded to EDGE, there were a number of sites that didn't work properly with some 3G phones, mainly the Vodafone branded ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

chrislad wrote: »
    No, it's not. Back a while ago, before Meteor upgraded to EDGE, there were a number of sites that didn't work properly with some 3G phones, mainly the Vodafone branded ones.

No, it is. We are talking about problems with calls and texts here.

Certain websites not displaying is probably because of the speed of the connect rather than anything to do with Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you go into a shop and give your phone number, name, address and DOB and they give you a new blank sim. be sure to copy all your phone numbers off the old sim memory to the phone memory first. if its two years old its very likely to be the problem

the firmware could be the problem too but get a new sim first imo

and dont let them charge you for a replacement sim!

• Advertisement

Stevek101 wrote: »
    No, it is. We are talking about problems with calls and texts here.

Certain websites not displaying is probably because of the speed of the connect rather than anything to do with Vodafone.

I'm talking about sites as in mast sites, not internet web sites.

The problem was a total lack of signal in the phone, despite working with O2/Voda sims and the Meteor sim card working in another phone.

Cheers for all the advice. Will pop into Meteor on Mon and get new sim and get the software flashed to the standard firmware, hopefully that will do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

The 6234 is a vodafone customised version of the 6233 and firmware is inter changeable. I googled googling nss and b-phreak very useful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm sure you know but just in case - Meteor won't flash your 6234.

I have got a new Sim (Free but they tried to charge me) and I left the phone into be ''software flashed to the standard firmware'' in Nokia recommended VF shop. With this done should all the VF softwear be gone, ie. the VF logo still appears on start-up and VF Live option is still on phone. I reckon I am nearly there, Sim accepted on start-up- full Meteor signal- ''only'' problem now is when I try to make a call all I get is an 'error in connection' message on screen. Feel so near yet so far from success. :rolleyes:

Text Setting to 50024. That should sort you out

chrislad wrote: »
    Text Setting to 50024. That should sort you out

if that's what i'm thinking of, the number's 50047, you're supposed to text 'settings', not 'setting' and doing it won't affect the ability to call out at all but will put gprs and mms settings on the phone.

i hope i'm wrong. what does texting that number do?

Although I have full Meteor signal I can't send or recieve text's or call's so can't get settings for phone.

Typing on iPhone so excuse spelling. I misread. I thought he was getting connection error when he turned it on. Try making sure the phone is set to GSM only.

Advertisement