Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrianise Celbridge Main street!

Options
  • 22-11-2007 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

As a Celbridge resident I have been thinking that the Main street would be much better if it was pedestrianised from Bank of Ireland as far as the entrance to Castle town house. You could still come in from the Dublin road and turn right to go towards Clane or the road up by Statue of Mary. It would still leave a ring road around the villlage with car parks on each end - your thoughts please...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

A nice idea and I would love to see it happen, the car parks would have to improve as there's only the abbey car park at one end of the main street and little or no car park at the Castletown end, also if all traffic had to turn left after the bridge (I assume you meant left) I could see a row develop between Dublin bus and Mortons as Mortons hold the route license for the Clane road and Shakelton road areas, St. Patricks park could have one entrance/exit at Church road to prevent traffic from the park encroaching on to Main street although I could see the residents of the park objecting to this. On the positive side we could have nice pavement coffee shops and the daily russian roulette routine of trying to cross the Main street would end, KCC could also move those unsightly overhead cables underground as they promised to do years ago. Good topic OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 elsimate

Cheers for the input Vektarman. I have taken this up with Ainé Brady ( i tried all of our elected candidate's but she was the only one to come back to me...) and she is actually quite interested by the idea and is taking it to the next Kildare planning meeting.

I did mean turn left as you pointed out (!) and I can also see the difficulties you mentioned but to my mind the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. If Ainé Brady comes back with feedback from her meeting I'll post it here. It would be good to get more comments also so I can "arm" her for her meeting.

Cheers
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 elsimate

Just an update if anyone is interested... as part of the new Commercial development in the old riding stables on the Dublin road a new bridge is being built to take traffic from Youngs Cross (near Boylans) to near Tesco. Emmet Stagg got in touch to say he will be using this as an opportunity to try to get the main street pedestrianised...we live in hope.

Advertisement