Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To Fermoy

Options
  • 22-11-2007 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i'm going to be moving to fermoy for 6 months ish in jan with work, and was wondering if anybody could tell me what it's like, what amenities are there, how big is the place? any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Just a wild guess...BUPA/Quinn? Why only 6 months?

It's like any peripheral Cork City town, cliquish and with a 40/60 mix of scobes vs. normal people.

It's got a nightclub (Charlie Macs?), several dingy pubs, a bookshop, several newsagents and a couple of shops right out of the 1950's.

If I had to live in Cork, Fermoy (or Da 'Moy as the locals call it) would be my third choice after Cork City and Cobh.

Cork City is 30 miles from Fermoy and there's a regular bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

nope not bupa/quinn, i'm actually in training for my job and it includes a 6 month placement, and i've gotten fermoy, would it be better to live in cork city and commute do you think? if it's only 30 miles that means about a 30ish min drive???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

Good luck to you. Brave move.:D

Cheers fantasma, i've heard tis quite a rough town, looks like i'll be needing all the luck i can get.......does it count as bravery if i don't have a choice?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

foinse wrote: »
    Cheers fantasma, i've heard tis quite a rough town
    Far from.

You could commute from Cork City as the new bypass took a lot of traffic off the old road, but do you really want to be burning up that much petrol everyday on a 60-mile round trip?

If you end up hating Fermoy, then you might consider Mitchelstown as it's only 10 miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 iasscarra

sorry dublinwriter I must point out

It's like any peripheral Cork City town, cliquish and with a 40/60 mix of scobes vs. normal people. :mad:

'cork city town' ....... are you serious and what are 'scobes'?

also moving to mitchestown is actually north of fermoy, hence, further way from cork city,
    apart from that fermoy is a lovely town, there is many things to do as towns go. great pool and gym facilites, public walks, fishing, most other water sports and to be honest a good few more shopping and pub/nightlife options than forementioned, and seriously the people are pretty
    chilled out and live at a slower pace than city takes getting used too but all worth it in the end. hope it goes well........... p.m me if you have more questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Fermoy is fine.

Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Fermoy is a fine town. Good housing, nice restraunts and pubs. MOst houses within walking distance of town, so no need to drive, hence you can have a drink or two. Not too far if you want to drive to Cork for a day - about 20 mins on tolled motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,532 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Fermoy is a fine laid back town.
    No bravery needed for moving there either.
    Cork is only 20 miles and less than 20 minutes through the bypass and not 30 miles away.

Plenty of Pubs
    Night Club is SG1

And
    There is a great RC Racing Club there as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

vectra wrote: »
    Fermoy is a fine laid back town.
    Plenty of Pubs
    Night Club is SG1

There's a late bar there too called the Grocers which plays 'older' music for the more mature person!!:D

There' plenty to do in Fermoy to get you through 6 months.

If you are in to sports there's GAA teams, soccer teams, rugby teams, cycling club, road running club, hockey club, rowing club etc etc I'm sure there's enough of a variety thee to suit every taste.

There are 2 gyms in the town as the GAA club are opening a new one. And there is a swimming pool also.

There is a river running through the town which ofers fishing and scenic walks etc

The town is full of pubs so I'm sure there'll be one for every taste

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Rustycans

foinse wrote: »
    Hi all, i'm going to be moving to fermoy for 6 months ish in jan with work, and was wondering if anybody could tell me what it's like, what amenities are there, how big is the place? any help would be great.

Notice how the Fermoy locals are standing up for their town. I am from not too far from there myself . Its your average Irish town in most ways but is a bit backward alright - alot of run down shops ,pubs and no decent modern shopping centre /supermarket / cinema. It would be a bit left behind like other towns in the area including Mitchelstown, Lismore , Tallow. Towns in this millenium with modern day facilities might include Glanmire , Midleton Ballincollig . In short I wouldnt live in Fermoy if I was you . Maybe Glanmire which is on that side of city or the city itself . 40 mins Cork-Fermoy . I think it d be worth it .

O yeah . User Vectra . That must be a supercharged vectra your driving at 100 miles an hour if you can do Cork (even the tunnel) to Fermoy in 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,532 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Rustycans wrote: »
    O yeah . User Vectra . That must be a supercharged vectra your driving at 100 miles an hour if you can do Cork (even the tunnel) to Fermoy in 20 mins.

Cork to fermoy
    20 miles
    hit the bypass you can do approx 75mph
    Do the maths bud
    you dont need 100mph.
    I drive it often enough to know.
    How often do you travel it?:confused:

OH
    and
    user Rustycans
    (Hmm..name probably fits the bill with your driving) :rolleyes:

Fermoy is not as backward as you make it out to be.

Chek it out >>> FERMOY

I d be driving at the speed limit dont u know. Theres a nice bypass AROUND Fermoy alrite. HAPPY XMAS

Hey all thanks for the replies, just thought i'd let ye know where i am at the mo on this, i've gotten a place in Douglas with another guy in a similar situation but going to Bandon, and going to commute to and from work....should be interesting,but at least it's only for 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

You're prob better off i read the mixed reviews of fermoy,

its awful, went to school there and couldnt get out of the place fast enough...

Its ok short term, but you'd either turn scobe or move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Fermoy is just so-so. I prefer Mitchelstown [then again I would being from that area]. There's plenty of action in Fermoy though, so you wouldn't be out of something to do. A triathlon club has started up there recently, more about that on

http://www.blackwatertriathlonclub.com/

Their cycling club is very active aswell

http://www.fermoycc.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

not much to do in fermoy.Shops are run down alright.The gym yes a new one opened at the gaa club,very well done better than the fermoy leisure club.Next to the gaa grounds you have the Fermoy Pitch And putt club
    http://www.discoverireland.ie/di/resultsengine/IndividualResultTCS.aspx?touristItemID=43416&type=Activity&LocationID=6&SearchString=&FromDate=&ToDate=&SearchByDate=0&CategoryID=32&LocationName=Cork&CountyID=6&Radius=1000&rbSelect=&SortBy=1&SubCategoryID=32
    Gone very rough allright,Pubs popular in fermoy for the young lads:Tj goodtimes,Kerins,Macs bar,Toms tavern sports bar,charlies for couples.Id prefer Creans and Clancys on Oliver plunkett Hill(darts,pool,cards,scraps:eek: etc)
    Food:Charlie Browns,Hong kong(chinese lovely:)),Grand Hotel.Loads of takeaways.
    SG1 nightclub allway busy at the weekend(scraps:eek:)
    Loads of rental accodomations.Fermoy is slowly building up for work eg Factories.
    Fermoy 5/10:D

Advertisement