Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about word 'Gay'

Options
  • 22-11-2007 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm not trying to make a point or anything, it's mainly to satisfy my own vocabular curiosity.

The word 'Gay' refers to gay people in general, but 'Lesbian' is exclusively for gay women. Is there a word that refers exclusively to gay men?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Bender, p**f, f*gg*t, queer are usually acssociated with men more than women, if not exclusively. And I am gay, so don't flame me for saying these words, it's for exampular purposes, not a slagging match!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Although the above terms are associated with men, they are directly analogous to terms like dyke that apply to women, so I'm not sure this is what this OP meant.

I don't know the answer though either. I would actually associate the word 'gay' itself more with men than I would with women, probably because of the proliferation of the term 'gay and lesbian'.

As for flaming, well, with gays, it's something of a cliché.

Advertisement