Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish - Slíocht

Options
  • 22-11-2007 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get these sliocht things? My teacher gave us out photocopies of them but I lost some of them and I don't think he'll photocopy more because he said at the start "if you lose these, I'm not photocopying more" :P

Anyone know where I can get them (preferably for free)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

You'll get them in the post at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Just borrow them from a friend and photocopy them in the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

are the sliochts for our LC already available?? We got ones in school but I assumed they were last years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

They haven't changed, that's why they're the same as last yr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

I'm not sure when the ones i got are from...

Is the first one:

caithfear Ithe..Sceallóga inniu......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

The sliocts are the same every year.. They are in the back of an dtuigeann tu, and are on the net.. So glad im finished the LC!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Loved the sliochts when I was doing my LC!!
    Remember: Pratice makes perfect!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Diamond007 wrote: »
    The sliocts are the same every year.. They are in the back of an dtuigeann tu, and are on the net.. So glad im finished the LC!!

Do you know of any websites that have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What's a sliocht?

Well I know what sliocht means, obv. but like what are they for the LC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It's a chunk of the oral, you have to read out a passage to show off your pronunciation. There's a list of about 15 of them, don't have to prepare them all though as far as I'm aware. They're in the back of "An dTuigeann Tú?", if you've got it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

You only have to prepare 4 iirc.
    Your teacher usually picks them based on the dialect you have.
    Then in the oral itself the examiner picks out what one they want you to read out..or if the examiner is very nice some of them allow you to pick out what one you want to read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Isn't it 5 you have to prepare for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Phil01

God i hated Sliocht, i got a stammer int he interview i was that nervous... I love irish but hated the orals...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

delta214 wrote: »

Thanks.

Any printable ones? Just so I know what the guy is saying haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

Keep practising away, it's an easy bunch of marks to pick up for the Oral exam! It's worth 30 of the marks in the Oral overall. Doing well in the Oral will give you 25% before you even go in to the written exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

carlowboy wrote: »
    Isn't it 5 you have to prepare for?

our teacher is perparing 10!! what she should have done is handed them out, spent a class quickly deciding between the class which 5 we'd like to do (be it smallest or easiest wording) and prep'ed them 5 and spent the time we are now wasting, revising!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

What an utter waste of time preparing 10! Each group of 5 are set out in that way because they are more suitable to certain dialects, for example the first five are usually for munster candidates and so on.... Surely she should have know that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Jayeire wrote: »
    What an utter waste of time preparing 10! Each group of 5 are set out in that way because they are more suitable to certain dialects, for example the first five are usually for munster candidates and so on.... Surely she should have know that!!

i know!! she's doing 10 in class, wasting valuable class time, then we prep 5 to bring into the exam! its pointless!!

Advertisement